What's new

SPHE Publicity: Platoon 20th Anniversary Collector's Edition (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
MGM and SONY PICTURES HOME ENTERTAINMENT CELEBRATE THE 20TH ANNIVERSARY OF oliver stone’s four-time academy award®-WINNing film

PLATOON

WITH A 20th ANNIVERSARY COLLECTOR’S EDITION DVD
ON MAY 30th

Featuring a New High-Definition Transfer, Hours of Bonus Features,
Including More Than Ten Minutes of Never-Before-Seen
Deleted and Extended Scenes from the Film, the Two-Disc Set Arrives in Time for Father’s Day

Culver City, Calif. (March 20, 2006) – “The standard against which all other movies about the Vietnam War are judged” (Chicago Tribune) – Platoon – will debut as a two-disc Twentieth Anniversary Collector’s Edition DVD from MGM and Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, May 30. The much-anticipated Collector’s Edition commemorates the 20th Anniversary of the four-time Academy Award®-winning film from renowned Writer/Director Oliver Stone (Born on the Fourth of July, JFK).

Coupled with a legendary cast, including Charlie Sheen (Wall Street, TV’s “Two and a Half Men”), Tom Berenger (Training Day, Major League), Willem Dafoe (The Aviator, Spiderman), Johnny Depp (Pirates of the Caribbean, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) and John C. McGinley (TV’s “Scrubs,” Puff, Puff, Pass), Platoon became an immediate, unforgettable success when it debuted in 1986, bringing in a record $135 million at the box office.

At the 1986 Academy Awards, Platoon garnered four Oscar® wins including Best Picture, Best Director (Oliver Stone), Best Screenplay and Best Sound. Since then, the film has consistently been heralded as the most “harrowingly realistic and completely convincing” (Leonard Maltin) film of its kind.

Produced by Arnold Kopelson (Seven, The Devil’s Advocate), Platoon starkly depicts the horrid ordeals American soldiers experienced in Vietnam – including Stone himself, on whose experiences the film is based.

The Platoon Twentieth Anniversary Collector’s Edition will arrive in time for Father’s Day with a pristine high-definition transfer and hours of bonus materials, including more than ten minutes of never-before-seen deleted and extended scenes, new documentaries and featurettes, and new interviews with Oliver Stone and Vietnam veterans.

In Platoon, Chris Taylor (Sheen) is a young, naive American who, upon his arrival to Vietnam, quickly discovers that he must do battle not only with the Viet Cong, but also with the gnawing fear, physical exhaustion and intense anger growing within him. While his two commanding officers (Berenger and Dafoe) draw a fine line between the war they wage against the enemy and the one they fight with each other, the conflict, chaos and hatred permeate Taylor, suffocating his realities and numbing his feelings to man’s highest value - life.

COMPLETE DVD BONUS Features Include

· Deleted Scenes and Extended Scenes with Commentary by Oliver Stone
· New Interviews with Oliver Stone
· New Interviews with Vietnam Veterans
· “Creating the ‘Nam” Documentary
· “One War, Many Stories” Documentary
· “Raw Wounds: The Legacy of Platoon” Documentary
· “Snapshot in Time: 1967-1968” Documentary
· “Preparing for ‘Nam” Featurette
· “Tour of the Inferno” Documentary, featuring Interviews with the Director, Cast and Crew
· Audio Commentary by Director/Writer Oliver Stone
· Audio Commentary by Military Supervisor Captain Dale Dye
· Behind the Scenes & Poster Galleries
· Eight-Page Journal Pamphlet
· Original Theatrical Trailer & TV Spots
· Previews
· Audio: English 5.1 (Dolby Digital), English DTS, French (Surround Sound) and Spanish (Stereo Surround)

Platoon Twentieth Anniversary Collector’s Edition will be available in a 1.85:1 16x9 Widescreen Presentation for an SRP of $24.96. The film has a run time of 120 minutes and is rated R. Artwork is available at www.SPHEPublicity.com. Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at www.SonyPictures.com.

DVD Catalog #: 14487
DVD UPC Code: 0 27616 14487 4
DVD Order Date: 4/27/06
DVD SRP: $24.96

Miles

Second Unit
Tempting... but I've already bought it on DVD a couple of times. Maybe wait until the HD-DVD/Blu-ray version comes out :)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I think #1 was the Live release with the "Inferno" docu but was not anamorphic; #2 was I think the first MGM which was anamorph but didn't have the supps of the Live; then #3 finally was both anamorph and had the supps.

May have to wait for review, but can someone who has the second MGM release preliminarily say whether it looks like everything that is on that disc is on this new 2-discer?

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
From an R2 Amazon customer: "I would like to point out that it appears that none of the extras from the previous special edition have been left off of this one, so there's no good reason to keep the old disc. But at the end of the day, the new [DTS] 5.1 mix is the biggest reason to buy this disc."

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Paul,

How cool! That was me you were quoting. It's the first time I've ever been quoted from another source here at HTF. :D

And actually, when I wrote that, I didn't have all the info. The R1 20th Anniversay disc, in addition to leaving nothing behind, has even more special features than the Region 2 disc I now regret buying! :angry:

-Lyle J.P.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Lyle:

Trippy!

Thank God for Netflix: as I've said elsewhere, it's difficult for me to justify buying these often tardy standard def SEs when I sense that the very same evergreen titles that the studio is likely to release multiple times on SD are the same ones that will come out (maybe) sooner than later on HD.

-p

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Will there be a HTF review for this or has anyone seen any reviews comparing the PQ to the SE??

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have yet to receive a screener for it. I'm hoping I'll have it by week's end.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Boy, you said it. I'm having a helluva time with the new Apocalypse Now DVD release. While I don't intend to move to a HD video format until after the format war is over, I have a ton of backlogged DVDs to watch, and I certainly don't need to be re-buying titles, even if they are my favorites.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
With HD not far the future of this release, there is no real reason for this, with the exception of yet another multiple dip.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yup which is why I won't be buying yet another release of this title. I think I already own three dvd releases of it so I'll wait a couple of years until I get into the HD format.

Crawdaddy

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams

Thanks for the heads up, Robert. Although I (and surely many others) will not be committing to buying an HD player for some time. I guess the issue is simply - are you going to watch this film soon, or just add it to your collection and have it sit on your shelf for three years? If its the latter, you may as well wait and see how HD goes.

I used to have the attitude of building "a collection" but now have a whopping number of DVDs, and am now buying items I want to watch NOW. Looking back, I see several titles that I bought "for the collection," but have never watched. I would simply not bother to buy them today. "Forrest Gump" is the best example.

I did buy this new "Platoon" because I intend to give it a spin SOON. Otherwise no sale with upgrades for me at this point.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I got this a few days ago and was taken aback by the picture quality. I'm aware that the movie itself is pretty much gonna look gritty and low-rent by design, but the transfer is just plain nasty. There's frozen grain patterns galore (possibly from some over-zealous noise reduction?) and colours regularly take on a bland, plasticky sheen that pulled me out of the movie far too often.

I had the R2 'Ultimate Edition' but I quickly sold it to get this new R1 release (mainly because of the deleted scenes). I sold the R2 on so swiftly I didn't even get a look at the transfer, but I wish I had sneaked a peek just to see if it could look any worse than the R1.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I had the single-disc SE (R2) Marco, but to my shame I never watched that one either before selling it. The new transfer is not appalling but it is frustratingly below-par. It just doesn't do the film justice, and I hope that whatever was done to the video to produce that frozen grain artefact was not done to the HD master.

Erin C

Stunt Coordinator
Found a few eggs on disc 2....
tv spots-highlight "action" and click left to highlight the helicopter
photo galleries-behind the scenes and click right to highlight the helmet
documentaries-preparing for 'nam and click right to highlight the wristband

haven't watched them yet but appear to be interview snippets

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

I watched the flick and all of the extras and with the exception of the deleted scenes, I was impressed with the PQ and DTS audio of this release. I noticed none of the things you mentioned on my 51" Sony display.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks