What's new

*** Official V FOR VENDETTA Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Saw the film last night to a semi-pack theatre...

...Still trying to digest it all but I will say that it's riveting. But, I definitely need a second viewing to see if I caught it all eventhough I've read the graphic novel twice. The best way to describe the film is angry...pure anger.

Even still, you come out thinking about things after you've witnessed V. I want to call it an instant classic right now, but again, I need another viewing. The film's pace is so rapid that you're not quite sure you caught it all in just one viewing. It will take multiples.

One thing is for certain, Hugo Weaving's portrayal as V is one for the ages...an instant classic. More than likely, there won't be a better character on the cinema screen this year after you witness V. Natalie's performance as Evey is once again another solid, strong, emotional performance from a young woman who continues to surprise and enchant me....in my opinion. She won't get any nominations for the role but, I think it's memorable.

It's going to be very, very interesting to see how this film is received, the discussions afterwords, and the box office take.

But this I do know, it will remain in my Top Ten of 2006. I don't see 10 films knocking it off the list by the time the year ends...

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H

Wow. I'll disagree to the nth degree. The graphic novel? Yes. Anger and anarchy all the way. The film? A very different message of hope and love. I liked it much better.

I will also likely keep this film in my Top 10 for the year. But, I don't think it will be a B.O. hit.

The film is somewhat removed - akin to a Kubrick film. And, it is extremely literate, talky, and intellectual. I loved it, but general audiences aren't likely to go for it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Just saw this this evening. I walked in with no knowledge of this film. The only thing I knew was Natalie Portman was in it and the Wachowski Bros producing and one good review that said it's going to make you think.

I thought it was great! I liked the story and the allegory. It was well cast and I like that the supporting actors for the most part are unknown to American audiences. The Benny Hill bit was a hoot.

I hope it does well for them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "V For Vendetta". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Tim B

Auditioning
Saw it last night. The theater was about 1/2 to 2/3rds full. It was being shown in 4 different theaters.

I loved the movie. The first few minutes were a bit confusing. The movie did not faulter after that. It did feel very long, and much longer then 2 hours. This is not a bad thing as I was entertained the entire time.

V for Vendetta is extactly how a 'big budget' movie should be. It was the right combination of action, plot, and social commentary. I would go to the movies more often if hollywood produced movies like this one. Hugo was great as 'V'. One of the better and more original movies I have seen in the last 2 or 3 years. I recommend it.

It is hard to give an exact rating without seeing it a second time. It is at least:

:star: :star: :star: 1/2

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
I just got back from a matinee showing, and the movie was fantastic!

I'm a little miffed that they removed some of the humanizing elements of the antagonists (government officials and politicians), but was delighted that they left intact some of the more horrific elements of the anti-hero protagonist. Good movies make you ask uncomfortable questions, and this movie does just that.

I really hope the movie does well. I would like to see more like this rather than the typical blockbuster drivel. Emotionally I was swept away, even in the melodramatic bits.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
While the marketing of the film relies far too much of trying to convince the would-be viewer of the film being an action-oriented film, it's much more contemplative in its approach in telling a story of using anarchy against the government to right the political wrongs on its own citizens (i.e., don't expect it to be wall-to-wall action, it's more like sprinkles of action sequences here and there, but filled with much more in terms of setup, ideas and wordplay).

Don't go into the film expecting a solid re-telling from its graphic novel source (actually, originally published as a maxi-series of comics, then collected as a graphic novel), it's an adaptation of the source material, so many side subplots are left out, and its conclusionary tone is more uplifting than its source material.

It took a little while to get used to the character of V on-screen because you hear Hugo Weaving distinctive voice, but you are just looking at the mask with bits of body language to support the dialogue from V, but the strangeness go away as the film rolls along. Weaving's alliterative recitation of the "v's" in the early part of the film was entertaining.

Natalie gives a pretty good performance as Evey, though it feels like her character is underwritten in the 3rd act, but has plenty of material in the 1st and 2nd act.

So, if you keep you expectations in check, I think most people interested in this type of material would enjoy the film, though it's not quite a home run, it's a stand-up triple.

I give it 3 stars or a grade of B.

Mike.P

Second Unit
I enjoyed it - Best thing I've seen so far this year (although I don't recall going to the theaters at all!)

B+. Would recommend to any of my friends.

Joel C

Screenwriter
True, it leaves out a lot from the book, but it's also about the best adaptation I can imagine. I'd give it 3.5 stars out of 4, excellent for a big-budget studio film, certainly. Some parts were VERY effective, including the domino montage.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I think it's a remarkably effective film. Well-directed, well-acted, and well-conceived. The strength of the script plays to the strength of the source material, and it pays off that the screenwriters like dense material. V is dense material.

The three leads are good or excellent. Portman is good in most scenes, mediocre in a few, and excellent in a few. Of the three, she's the weakest...but she's not weak. Stephen Rea gets better as the movie goes, and has excellent scene after excellent scene. His last scene isn't as strong as it could be, but the narrative demanded something different.

Hugo Weaving is excellent, with an old school performance using his body and his voice. It doesn't win Oscars, but people remember performances like this. Very brave of an actor to commit to such a role, and shine in it. V himself is a bit of a cipher, purposefully. As the denouement states, V is all of us (even though he really isn't...V *is* special), so by that virtue, they can't really nail him down.

I've only read the GN once, last year, and I don't remember all the details. I know a few sub-plots were cut, I know Evey was strengthened, and I think Finch was altered a bit. But the core I remember is there. Moore consistently mines the same territory, but he is such a great writer, he always makes the basic story work. He understands WHY an audience would love V, hate V, think of V. As an adaptation, it works, though I always recommend the source material.

Like previous Wachowski efforts, the material is VERY (here is this word again) dense. There is a lot going on, and they expect the audience to keep up. The great strength of the story is also tied into the great weakness. What does V want? What did Guy Fawkes want? What IS the idea V stands for? Anarchy? Freedom? Humanity? Strength? Revenge? Like V himself, the film is silent on this. This allows the viewer to make that choice themselves. It diminishes a bit of the resonance, but allows personal attachment. For myself, I see it as the desire to retain our individuality in a plurality.

The direction is excellent, and there are some bravura sequences. I'll discuss them further in the Discussion Thread. No spoilers here. But the film looked better than films which cost 2-3 times as much. I know McTeigue has a solid resume as AD, but he learned from some skilled people. He learned well.

I didn't have very high expectations. Even if I had, I would have been pretty satisfied by what we got. A second viewing showcased even more attention to detail, and I enjoyed it just as much the second time.

9.5/10,
Chuck

Lance_R

Stunt Coordinator
Saw it this weekend with my wife. She was really surprised by the film. The spoilers totally duped her into thinking just another comic movie, wrong.
3/5 stars.
Could be a 4 star on a second viewing, lots to take in with this movie.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
Saw it this weekend with my wife and mother-in-law. I knew a little bit about it but went in spoiler-free. My wife and mother-in-law knew nothing.

We were all blown away. I will see it again.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Not and action film like I was led to believe but it delievered everything in spades. A riveting film with a stellar cast and a complex story that is well done.

4 1/2 out of 5 here.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Excellent film - much better than I expected. I found it very moving emotionally, great performances all around.

Please go see this movie - we need more like this!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks