What's new

*** Official V FOR VENDETTA Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ebert and roeper each gave it a good review.
in fact roeper casually said who was behind the mask like it was no big deal.
i have the origionsal comics but havent read them yet so was this a bad giveaway by roeper to say who was behind the mask?

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
TonyD: All Roeper reveals is the name of the actor playing V, so no, it really doesn't spoil anything at all! :D

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Having read the novel, I'm sure it'll be quite edgy and free-wheeling, and I expect several moderator insertions of reason and HTF rules :) Not because of me, though, as I have learned my lessons over a few choice mistakes :D

I am EXTREMELY excited for this film, the first truly interesting film released this year (for me).

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Saw a preview of this tonight so I thought Id make a few non-spoiler comments.

I had heard extremely positive things about this film but I must say that I havent read the graphic novel on which its based. The first thing is that the trailer is extremely misleading as to the nature of the film (as a lot of trailers are I suppose). This is not an action film at all - in fact there are only 2 moments in the entire film that I considered to be an action sequence and both were brief. This is not a criticism, just an observation as those people expecting a film similar to the trailer are going to be disappointed.

Good points

I thought Hugo Weaving was great as V and the mask was actually enhancing his performance rather than detracting from it, probably because it was so distinctive.

I understand that the novel was written some time ago and whilst this is a fantasy version of a totalitarian state, anyone watching this film cannot fail to recognise the myriad of references to modern political and social issues that we are dealing with today.This film is quite blunt about the points it is trying to make - subtlety is out of the way in favour of loudly declaring its stance. Unfortunately, this occasionally meant some awful dialogue.

Enjoyed the score, which also seems to be the same as that from the trailer (from when V knocks over the domino).

Thought Stephen Fry was also great here.

The bad points - as I said there is some awful dialogue in this film. In the first 10 minutes I felt like Weaving had been replaced by the Architect from Reloaded and that the Waschowskis have been raiding the thesaurus again in order to use 1000 words when one will do (although there is a funny speech involving words starting with V). This eases off during the film but there are some really stupid lines.

The pace of the film is very uneven with some aspects of the plot rushed through and some drawn out too much. The film also often feels the need to repeat a point it has made or a parallel it has drawn with the result that it feels quite drawn out and long. A bit of editing would have helped I think

Whilst the story of V's background and motivation is ok, how it relates to other events that are gradually revealed is poorly handled, and rushed with the result that the connection seems contrived.

I would give it 2 1/2 out of 5 probably because I was expecting a much better film. It's not bad and it's unusual to see a mainstream film tackle such controversial issues head on. It's a shame that some awful dialogue and shoddy storytelling dilute this and make the film merely average.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Saw the film tonight as well. Aside from the poor presentation of the theater I was in (low audio, no surround sound), I thought the film was great. Simon, I couldn't really make out what V was saying at the beginning due to the poor sound, but it sounded like he was essentially saying what was said in the novel. The parallels drawn to current events were thunderous and I thoroughly enjoyed those aspects. I just hope the stories aren't true and that the Wachowski's will continue making films.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Looking forward to seeing this over the weekend. I love the tag line on the poster "People Should Not Be Afraid of Their Governments - Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People." That's a paraphrase from an old quote by Thomas Jefferson who said "When people are afraid of their government, that's tyranny. When governments are afraid of their people, that's liberty."

The whole ad campaign for V has been great, with the old propaganda-style posters. They have a pretty good web site up and running too.

If the movie is at all true to the book, it's bound to get bashed by the most politically sensitive among us (and I don't mean HTF). Rather than being about this precise moment in history (to which I think it has applications), I think the story (which was written more than 20 years ago) shows the universal truths about how tyranny takes hold and transforms a society.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Sam:

It looks like the truth-sensitive might have a thing or two to say about it as well. Plus, movies about tyranny are nothing new. I will judge V based on its filmmaking craft and the relevance of its story for our culture.

Josh.C

Second Unit
I'm very excited to see this movie. A good friend saw it on a sneak peek this week, and raved about it.

Before hearing his comments I was a little sceptical about "V". Now I'm all in! Hope to see it next week.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I think the strength of the story is not in immediate (and facile) connections to current events (I can apply the same "immediacy" to many cultures over many time periods), but in the universality of the struggle between the individual and the group, between a citizen and those on ANY official side who'd like to determine what is best for society and you.

I am certain that many politically motivated folks will foist their interpretations, on both sides. I admire any film that leads to discourse. Especially when it's civil.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
I think it's entirely appropriate to read the graphic novel before seeing the movie-- or for that matter, before reading any reviews.I have a funny feeling that this movie is going to be the basis for hundreds of columns on the "war on terror" and the political scene. Some of those columns will, no doubt, blast the filmmakers for opportunistically attacking current government regimes while pointing to plot elements that actually date back to 1982.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
I don't think we can disconnect a film from the time in which it is screened. I hope that any truth-based criticisms that are levied against "V" are not dismissed merely as partisan attacks.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

I just hope that I like the movie. The previous Alan Moore based movies (Swamp Thing, LOEG) have been some of the worst comic based movies I've seen. Granted, Swamp Thing has it's charmes, especially with the additional whore house scene on the DVD, but League was shit.

this was my most anticipated film, until Moore took his name off it. I still plan on checking it out though.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Actually, I think LXG has its charms as well. Course, you have to completely put the graphic novel out of your mind, and enjoy the movie for what it is.

BTW, I'm not advocating that LXG was a GOOD film, but it isn't as bad as some make it out to be. It just isn't the greatness of the GN and is very Hollywood.

Jason

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "V For Vendetta" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "V for Vendetta" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have heard that Moore has trashed the movie, and when they list the creators in the credits, only David Lloyd is listed, did Moore have himself removed?

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
Saw this yesterday afternoon...

This was the first movie I've seen in awhile where the audience let out a collective "wow" at the end.

I hadn't read the graphic novel, so I don't know how the movie compares, but I was blown away. The best types of movie, IMO, are ones that thoroughly entertain while provoking thought at the same time. This one definitely falls into that category.

A few nitpicks:

How could V order and ship out all of those masks?

How could V keep his identity secret from Evey during her torture. I realize it's a movie and all, but I'd be very impressed if he could keep his face in the shadows under flourescent lights while shaving her head. Also, it didn't look like it was him who grabbed her - is there something cut from the novel that's missing here?

Those are all I can remember for the moment, but for the most part, phenomenal film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks