What's new

American Inventor (1 Viewer)

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Did anyone watch this show?

I enjoyed it for the most part. The lady judge was bit over dramatic to me and seemed to cry at the drop of a hat, but I really liked the engineer judge and the PR guy.

I thought the sand shovel was a great idea as well as the solar powered cooler. I think some of the inventions were a bit stupid..... like the bowl that those two boy band members brought in.... ya know the one that hid your pits and shells...WTF?????

I was sad that the little boy didn't make it through who invented an air conditioner for his dog.

All in all I think it was a fun show to watch.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I don't know which came first in the developement stage, this or "Made in the USA" but they feel exactly the same. Probably because they are. ;)

For a two hour premiere, there weren't many actual inventions shown. Way too many montages of stuff that I could care less about. Don't just show me someone that is pissed off about getting passed up, show me the dumb idea and then show them being pissed. :)

The shovel was cool but it was invented long ago in a smaller form for filling flour, sugar, coffee bags, candy from candy bins etc. Not sure if anyone ever built a big one like that.

All in all, not a thing they showed us so far is something I want to run out and buy. I'll watch again to see what they do in the next round.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
It was definitely entertaining, but I think a lot of the inventions that got through (edible snowglobes???) were worse than what was cut (the dog air conditioner).

The judges are pretty lame too; two of the guys I can't tell apart and the woman and guy with glasses were pretty annoying.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
So after the first round they are going to just keep showing us the same inventions over and over?

I think this will flop.

How about those Tizzy Tubes - straight jackets for kids!

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott

That was the best invention on the show :)

The way most kids act these days, I think every parent should be forced to buy one.

As far as seeing the same inventions again in the future episodes go...

During one of the sequences, they showed quite a number of folks who presumably got through to the next round celebrating outside the door. Ones in which we didnt see in front of the judges. I would guess we sill see thier inventions in future shows. This will keep us interested. (in theory)

"You've invented a stick"
"A Wand, Yes"

LOL

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't the bald judge look like that Nazi that melts in Raiders of the Lost Ark?

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member

Anyone remember Johnny Carson on his show where he created a "commercial" promoting something he called Dicky the Stick and its many uses. Literally a stick. It went over big time but future attempts using the same theme, not so well.

What in the world was anyone thinking in creating that Wizard of Oz sketch to promote their tree-trimming invention?

chuck_b

Supporting Actor

He actually looks more like Wallace Shawn - AKA "Vizzini" in the "Princess Bride". Although that is INCONCEIVABLE.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
You have it reversed, his name Wallace Shawn. I first took note of him in My Dinner with Andre , a 1981 film.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The woman panelist on this show is really getting annoying. She was being way to emotional for someone who is supposed to be a "judge". She would let wet toilet paper go through to the next round if the inventor made her cry.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I agree. I watch this show in FF now, skipping everything until they show the invention, maybe one or two yes/no comments and then it is FF again to the next. Way too much "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" stuff.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't care for "reality" shows, but as an engineer this one intrigued me. I've watched parts of the first two episodes and find it an interesting concept, but the results are mediocre.

First, the "inventions" I've seen are not very interesting. The only one I was particularly impressed by was the fitness system the black, corrections officer had. It seemed a clever set of tools that could be used by people on the go. But other gadgets that get through, like the toilet-door clip, while perhaps marketable, does nothing to ignite my imagination.

I'm also frustrated by the judges' inconsistency. On the first episode, a woman had a rather mature product, to teach young (autistic?) kids good behaviors. It had a doll, a DVD, and materials for parents. The engineer loved it and voted yes, while the female judge argued that they were not to accept people who only are there for marketing. The inventor was rejected. But in the next episode, a black woman has her talking "Naya" doll, seemingly complete except for marketing. The engineer votes against it, the female votes for it. She's accepted, but no one notes the seeming discrepancy from previous decisions. (And I thought the teaching materials were far more "inventive" than a talking doll that counts to 10 in Swahili).

So, I will enjoy pieces of episodes as I catch them, but this is not a barnstormer of a pro-science TV show.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I'll have to agree with Dave - none of the inventions are particularly interesting. I was expecting some really cool stuff but what we're getting is pretty mundane. Maybe some of it could be successfull, but who cares?

The man promoting "Bulletball" was truly a sad case. Talk about misplaced obsession! He's devoted his whole life creating a game that could be played using any kind of ball that's handy; no purchase necessary. We've already got ping pong and tennis. Just eliminate the paddle or racket and you've got Bulletball. What goes through these peoples minds?

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
This show is way too emotional. Someone should have been reigning things in, not showing us every sob story in the book. Made in the USA was a much better put together show, but American Inventor has going for it the fact that there isn't much else on on Thursday nights that I want to watch. I wish USA had had the exposure & time slot of Inventor, because even though USA had people like Joy Mangano it had far more interesting products.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
still watching, I'm really hoping for Janus' spherical safety seat to pull through, but isn't there far too many toilet related inventions in the first couple shows? (I only saw the two part first episode and the fourth episode of the auditions), as well as the rounds of 24 and 12.

What's with the woman with cancer? she invented something to put under your wig or helmet to prevent sweat getting into it? I understand she has an emotional story which appeals to the judges, but come on!

Or how bout the woman who made the door clip for bathroom stalls? how many stalls are these people getting into that are broken? sure, there's the odd one that uses the tab and slot kind of lock that maybe don't line up right, but just kick the door up slightly with your foot and the lock works.

I found myself saying the same as Ed re: the corrections officer weight set: "I wish he had one of the other people's products". Great guy, but no one will buy it. The guy with the workout belt had a similar case: but not such a great guy, and not a good product. I didn't think the workout belt should have made the top 50, muchless 24, and thought the Quad flosser should have gotten in over the corrections officer weight set.

otoh, loved the fact that the Unbrella chick was able to come up with a working prototype in only two weeks. great story, and the drive to make it happen.

also liked that 19 year old kid from columbia. great drive, in that he put a cover over the front set of gears to prevent injury, I'd rather see an "attachment" or accessory or what have you, rather than having to buy a whole bike, but that puts safety more at risk, I think. Love his story, but I think he worked a tiny bit of a con job with his tears to get down to the final 12. I believed him in the round of 24, but thought that was over the top. I guess he just found out what the show is all about and played up to it. gotta give him props for that, great kid, and it sounds like he has a few other inventions.

That's it, the kid, the unbrella, the safety seat, and perhaps the toilet odor eliminator carbon filter, despite the piss poor presentation thanks to that guy saying he was taking the money and going to Mexico... I hope one of those three get to the finals.

oh, and the spelling game guy, and the wide receiver training tube... and... and... :)

I'll keep watching, but I'd rather it to be 90% about the invention and 10% about the backstory/emotion, etc than what it is.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the rounds past the first just seem to be whoever cries the most gets through.

i thought the flosser may have been the best item.
the football guy, i dont know about that one.
i always ththought you should catch a footbal with your arms and your body. not just your hands.

looks like one of those late night infomercial gimmicks to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks