Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

False Advertising on DVD Covers (new Transamerica cover!!!)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 OFFLINE   Craig Sherman

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted March 16 2006 - 09:50 AM

This goes beyond the pale.

The powers that be have decided (according to what I've seen on DavisDVD.com) that Felicity Huffman's Oscar-nominated performance wasn't "pretty" or "marketable" enough to sell DVDs, so they went with a glamour shot, likely from a Desperate Housewives publicity shoot.

I'm trying to recall other occasions where the DVD used an image of the star that in no way represented their appearance in the film... and I'm sure there are plenty of examples.

Anyone think of any off the bat?

CS

#2 of 29 OFFLINE   ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC

Producer

• 3,729 posts

Posted March 16 2006 - 09:56 AM

Heh. I've got an old LaserDisc {Crystal Triangle} which has illustrations on it of characters who aren't even in the feature — they appear to have come out of Street Fighter or something. Posted Image I guess it's nothing new!

#3 of 29 OFFLINE   RyanAn

RyanAn

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted March 16 2006 - 11:09 AM

That is just awful. Looks mean everything to some people.

It's not the same, but what about when they have a director's face on the cover like that would spark some revenue? (it did, ha ha)

Posted Image

Ryan

#4 of 29 OFFLINE   Jesse Blough

Jesse Blough

Second Unit

• 251 posts

Posted March 16 2006 - 11:24 AM

Shaolin Soccer. She does NOT look like that in the movie. Posted Image Heh.

#5 of 29 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,534 posts

Posted March 16 2006 - 12:26 PM

Stuff like this goes back to the dawn of movie advertising. Just one example of many:

In The Ghost And Mrs. Muir, Gene Tierney plays a prim and proper widow in turn of the century England yet one of the film's posters has Gene Tierney reclining in a low cut blue negligee, a costume she does NOT wear in the film.

#6 of 29 OFFLINE   Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted March 16 2006 - 01:40 PM

France DVD cover for What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

Anyone remember Leo looking like that in the film?

Posted Image

#7 of 29 OFFLINE   RyanAn

RyanAn

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted March 16 2006 - 02:11 PM

"Johnny looks so insightful, Leo is so dreamy and smart, and Juliette looks hopeful... I'm truly going to find what's eating Gilbert..." Ryan

#8 of 29 OFFLINE   Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted March 16 2006 - 02:15 PM

Well here's kind of a dumb question I apologize for in advance: Have you seen Transamerica? I haven't, but I know she plays a man who becomes a woman. Is it possible the cover represents the "after" look for her towards the end of the movie? I've seen clips where she looked weird, but maybe it is a shot from the film.
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

#9 of 29 OFFLINE   RyanAn

RyanAn

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted March 16 2006 - 02:37 PM

Andrew While in the end, the character no longer uses as much make-up, which could in a sense be a mistake as the surgery was not on her face. (although she did have surgeries before, according to her speech) - Bree, the character does not look like the coverart in the least bit. Ryan

#10 of 29 OFFLINE   David (C)

David (C)

Stunt Coordinator

• 220 posts

Posted March 16 2006 - 02:52 PM

Posted Image

#11 of 29 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted March 16 2006 - 03:08 PM

Monster's Ball was the first film I thought of.
I've seen the film, and she never looks anything like that. Still, as noted, it's hardly a new phenomenon, and I understand why the PR people are taking the approach with this film, which is a tough sell. M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#12 of 29 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 32,503 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 16 2006 - 04:28 PM

http://www.cinefacts....20thCenturyFox

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#13 of 29 OFFLINE   MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted March 17 2006 - 03:36 AM

Here's an example I posted to a similar thread in the TV-DVD forum.

(OK -- it's not real. But if it was, I'm sure it would help sales) Posted Image

#14 of 29 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Executive Producer

• 10,060 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 17 2006 - 04:46 AM

That could be because Bree is played by Marcia Cross, not Felicity Huffman. Posted Image

I forget Huffman's Housewives character's name.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#15 of 29 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,309 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 17 2006 - 05:26 AM

I don't see this as a hanging offense. The purpose of the DVD cover is to help sell the movie. About 12 people saw Transamerica in theaters. Tens of millions of people see Felicity Huffman on Desperate Housewives every week. If putting a recognizable picture of her on the cover is going to help sell and rent discs and get more people to see the movie, I have a hard time thinking that's a bad thing.

Just putting her name on the box wouldn't have the same effect because I'm sure there are millions of Housewives fans who couldn't tell you the names of all the actors, or all the characters, or connect them up correctly. (That's why the fact that Huffman plays a character named "Bree" in the film confuses some people. Posted Image She plays Lynette on DH.)

For the same reason I don't condemn DVD covers that use original art suitable to attracting the eye and being read on a 5 1/2" x 7 1/2" keepcase instead of shrinking down a poster designed to be printed a 27" x 40" and hung in the lobby of a theater to that same 5 1/2" x 7 1/2" size and hoping that the title will register when it is on a wall full of other DVD cases.

DVD covers are marketing tools, nothing more and nothing less, and I don't blame a marketing tool for being a marketing tool. Nobody is under oath when designing a cover. As we used to say in the Bronx, "No autopsy, no foul."

Posted Image

Regards,

Joe

#16 of 29 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,309 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 17 2006 - 05:29 AM

P.S.

Felicity plays Lynette Scavo in DH. Posted Image

(I have the same problem with Supernatural where I can't get used to the fact that Jason Padelecki - formerly "Dean" on Gilmore Girls - plays the brother who isn't named "Dean". I think the writers do this sort of thing on purpose just to mess with our heads. Posted Image)

#17 of 29 OFFLINE   Nick Shookla

Nick Shookla

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted March 17 2006 - 05:44 AM

I don't recall Daniel Day-Lewis looking like this in My Left Foot.

Posted Image

and the Transamerica cover is a lenticular one..

Posted Image

#18 of 29 OFFLINE   Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted March 17 2006 - 12:58 PM

Posted Image

That's a truly terrible cover.

It makes it seem like the character changed over from an average looking woman to a very ugly woman. Just have to use the popularity of Desperate Housewives to sell some extra DVDs.

#19 of 29 OFFLINE   MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted March 17 2006 - 01:12 PM

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I have a question: Does Huffman actually play the character in both male and female identities, or is she seen only in "drag"? I was curious, because it'd be interesting seeing Huffman (the woman) playing a man...pretending to be a woman. (Reminds me of a line from a movie with another Hoffman in a transgendered role.) The DVD cover is extremely misleading, since (I assume) we never see the character in the film as depicted on the cover (with Huffman's real-life likeness.) It'd probably be more accurate to show the character morphing from (Huffman's) male likeness to the female one. Of course, that would make a really hideous cover -- one that would surely dampen sales!

#20 of 29 OFFLINE   Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted March 17 2006 - 01:47 PM

Matt, We never see Huffman as a man, only as a "woman" (a pre-operative male-to-female transgender - basicaly a guy dressed as a woman before any operations). We see a picture of when the character used to be a man, but it's actually a picture of a real man (as far as I can tell). And we never see Huffman look like her real self (ie. the "before" part of the cover). The morphing is very misleading. However, a morphing from a man to female would be a bit misleading too - since we never see Huffman dressed as a man either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users