What's new

Planet Of The Apes is HERE! Photos Enclosed! (1 Viewer)

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
No Monkey head?! I can't wait for a reviewer to say something about the head in the form of "Get your filthy eyes off me, you **** dirty ape."

Thanks for the pictures, Ron.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'm very glad to have them all, but man oh man do I think the cover art is poor (again).

I notice that the menu for BATTLE says "Extended Edition" (praise the Lawgiver!), but there doesn't seem to be any mention on the cover. As long as the longer cut is really there, though, I'm a happy chimp. :)

Blu

Screenwriter
Doesn't this collection also feature the animated series as well as the tv series?

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
The ape faces from the top 3 covers look like Tim Burton apes to me, and not the classic ape make-up.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Why couldn't they just use the original poster art? At the very least, I would have liked to see the different individual styles of lettering for each sequel, instead of (for example):

conquest of the
PLANET OF THE APES

I don't get the idea of featuring a chimpanzee on the cover of BENEATH, when it's the least "chimp-friendly" sequel of the lot. Furthermore, those eyes belong to Roddy McDowall, but BENEATH is the only film in which he doesn't appear!!

I know it's a lot of typical "People are never satisfied" whining, but just making an honest obervation. I'm actually very excited about buying these in anamorphic on the 28th, along with the extended cut for BATTLE!

And I agree about the original PLANET -- while at least Fox abandoned the revealing spoiler from the cover, they still felt the need to include it somewhere else in the packaging (with the frowning chimpanzee Caesar looking down on the Statue of Liberty, even though Caesar was NOT featured in the first movie!!)..

Fox, I would have gladly offered my services as a consultant, and for credit only; No Fee! :D

MarcoAD

Stunt Coordinator
So with this set you don't get the T. Burton Remake in the set? Nice! I'm in for this set. I just can't see having the giant Head in my living room and beyond that my wife was NOT having that thing stare at her all the time, lol...

Tim RP

Stunt Coordinator

Ron obviously got the Legacy Collection - smart move. Thanks for posting all the photos Ron.

Has to be said the cover art is not good. I genuinely do not see ANY reason why key poster art isn't/cannot be used for dvd covers. In UK/R2 land maybe as posters tend to be of the landscape quad design but in the US with portrait one sheets? It's a no brainer. At least they have correct photos :emoji_thumbsup:

Going by the menu for Planet (which is superb - someone at Fox had the right idea) it's the same disc as disc 1 of the 35th Anniversary SE.

Now here's the question: no 2-disc for Planet, it's a bonus disc which appears to be a single disc version of the Behind docu. I'm only going on specs on Rewind (which are comprehensive) but if it is the first disc of the Behind docu then not everything that was on the 35th Anniversary Edition 2-disc SE of Planet will be here...

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W

That's what I'd like to know.

How do the transfers compare to earlier editions?

I realize that uniform covers are necessary for sales but the least they could have done was include original poster art as an insert, the way Anchor Bay does.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I wonder where Leroy lives but you can easily find dvds early in NYC which is in the vicinity of where Ron lives.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
While I am aware of the landmark store
in NYC that breaks streetdates by weeks,
I can assure you this was not from there.

In fact, judging from the press package
shown in the very first photo, I would
have thought it was a giveaway to the
fact that this was a screener sent to
me directly from the studio. Thanks to
the wonderful folks at Fox!

The studios are never that generous in
sending out ultra-expensive items like
the Ape Head. Actually, I am glad
that I never received it. Don't want it.
It was this Legacy Set that I had my eyes
set on from the beginning.

I also figured it wouldn't take long for
you guys to spot the inside box artwork
that gives away the entire climax of the
original film. With all the abuse we have
given Fox over the years about the original
DVD cover art, I am shocked that someone
there had the audacity to do it again. I
really feel sorry for the person that watches
the film for the very first time and has the
ending revealed even before he/she places the
disc in the player.

I'm also concerned not all the extra material
from the 35th Anniversary DVD made it over to
this set. I'm at work right now and all I
remember being on the BONUS disc is the
documentary and the film trailers. I will
make a point to check later this evening and
let all of you know if you can ditch your
35th Anniversary disc or not.

I haven't had the time to watch any of these
films yet. Been a busy week. I suspect these
DVDs are going to look GREAT -- especially with
all-new anamorphic transfers on the sequels.

While I also agree the cover art could have
been much better across the board, I am still
extremely happy that Fox finally did justice
to the APE series and gave us these anamorphic
releases.

GregK

Screenwriter
I'll be curious to hear a review on the new 5.1 audio mixes. Is an original mono track also provided?

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Well I thought Ron's might have been a screener, but others reported having it so that's why I asked.

MattHR

Screenwriter

I agree with all these comments, especially the last one. I realize they need to make the packaging more "appealing" to potential new customers. Unfortunately, they end up not being representative of the actual films -- or the era of origin. These new designs definitely make the movies look they're from Tim Burton's ape universe.

It's obvious the studios don't want the DVDs to appear as "old" or "dated". But the films themselves are old. They may be able to modernize the packaging, but the films themselves will always be "retro". It just doesn't seem right to dress them up as something they're not. That's why I love Warner's recent classic offerings -- they are using the films' original art. They do not seem "dated" at all. In fact they have a very classy, elegant "retro" appeal. (BTW -- I thought "retro" was back in.)

Many people trash on those of us who complain when the studios neglect the original key art for their DVD packaging. Obviously, it's the film that is of primary importance. But as a lover and collector of all things film, I feel it's very important to include the films' original artwork somewhere in their DVD release. I hear people say "I'd rather have a quality transfer and great extras than original cover art." I didn't realize that it was an either/or situation. There's no reason we can't have both. In fact, original art included in the packaging design is just "icing on the cake" (again, see WB releases.)

It's a shame that the work of the artists who designed the classic images goes unappreciated. They made their contributions to the films -- just as every other craftsman did. It's a very important part of a film's marketing -- as that single image has to "sell" the film. (Of course, many of these images have probably doomed a film on occasion).

I wish the studios would either use these newer, "market friendly" designs as a slip-cover over original art; or include a card insert featuring the original art -- as Anchor Bay occasionally does. Or even print two-sided insert sheets -- so the consumer can decide which to display. Any of these options would be easy to implement. Just look at all the waste already included in most DVDs (cardboard sleeve, ads, coupons, etc.) Including an insert for the orginal poster wouldn't be that difficult.

On that note, here are some sample covers, with an image for the outer box, for the "classic" POTA collection:

Hey Fox -- for over 25 years, why have you NEVER used original art for ANY video release of POTA?

(I had to cheat a bit with BTPOTA by combining a few images from different sources. The original had too small images, and was very small text-heavy.)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
It appears that you're correct --

That menu screen unmistakeably comes from the first disc in the "35th Anniversary" set, and I don't necessarily see Fox forking over the gelt to totally re-author the "Legacy" DVD and reincorporate the content from Disc 2 for this new collection.

Looks like the studio apparently decided that the standalone Behind AMC doco-disc was plenty for this version, and those who're wanting all the additional supplements from the "35th Anni" edition are gonna have to throw down for that one, as well. Of course, I could be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks