What's new

Disney confirms non-exclusive Blu-ray support... (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
There are lots of posts flying around at AVS about how Disney has "switched sides" or profoundly changed position in some way regarding Blu-ray exclulsivity.

Long story short, Disney CEO announced that they will "probably" put some movies out on HD DVD in addition to Blu-ray.

I want to emphasise in this post that this in NO WAY is back-peddling from any previous position...Disney has *always* maintained a position of "support" for blu-ray that was non-exclusive in regard to HD DVD.

From Disney's original press release way back in December or 2004:

Another link of interest:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060313-6374.html
and
http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir...tem_id=1225645

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Another format not to release Song of the South in. Whoopee.

Seriously, what are HD-DVD's chances for survival, when Blu-Ray has majority support? Only one studio supports it exclusively.

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit

If the majority buyers of HD DVD think it is good enough and cheap enough (remember Betamax vs VHS?, VHS cheaper than Betamax, although VHS 1st gen VHS looked far worse than 1st gen Betamax), even Sony in the end produces VHS players, tapes AND stopped Betamax.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'm definitely a proponent for Blu-Ray, but I can't help but feeling neither camp has their stuff together. I'm dissapointed in both of them for not coming to terms to release one solid format. Considering the tremendous success of DVD versus the virtual death of both SACD and DVD-A, you'd think they'd be aware that a standard format is the way to go.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I think that the Disney announcement is nothing else but a reply to the probably - lots of inquires - about HD.

This is because of the HD demos going on. Some people just happened to catch it, and naturally, asked their studios.

Somehow I don't think that BR was even mentioned at the demos, so as far as they know, HD is the ONLY new format.

As a BR supporter, I can only hope that Sony is going to start something soon, and hopefully get the stuff out close to the same date as HD (which has just been postponed, if you didn't hear that already).

The fun isn't over yet, by any means. Do a March 28th (the day HD was supposed to roll out), and add 4 days. Beware of any posts coming out that Saturday, April 1st! :)

Glenn

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Pete,

My apologies...I didn't see your post. I rarely check the forum for new threads but today I looked it over to make sure that there wasn't already a Disney thread started before I posted mine. I should have searched it out but I just assumed it would have been bumped up to the top based on activity given the recent news.

Well, for starters my goal (not seeing your orignal post) was to avoid the rediculous assertions going on at AVS where folks were acting like Disney has "switched sides" when, in fact, all they have done is to re-state their non-exclusive support for BD as they had done in the very beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks