-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Jean Harlow Boxed Set????

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
253 replies to this topic

#1 of 254 Corey

Corey

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted March 14 2006 - 07:20 AM

I heard something about a Jean Harlow boxed set from WB. Is this true? if so, when does it come out. I hope it contains 8-9 of her films.Posted Image
Corey's most wanted R1 dvds:

Little Darlings (1980), My Cousin Rachel (1952), The Deep Blue Sea (1955), The White Cliffs of Dover (1944), Born to Be Bad (1950), Ivy (1947), Reckless (1935), Springtime in the Rockies (1942), The Barretts of Wimpole Street

#2 of 254 Tory

Tory

Screenwriter

• 1,310 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted March 14 2006 - 10:34 AM

I asked about Jean Harlow at the HTF Chat before last, they said there was to be a Bombshell by now. I think it may have been delayed but is most certainly coming.
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#3 of 254 RafaelPires

RafaelPires

Second Unit

• 478 posts

Posted March 14 2006 - 10:34 AM

My guess is that we'll have to wait until 2007 to get the Harlow box set.

#4 of 254 Corey

Corey

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted March 14 2006 - 01:41 PM

Quote:
My guess is that we'll have to wait until 2007 to get the Harlow box set.

Posted Image i hopenot!Posted Image

Little Darlings (1980), My Cousin Rachel (1952), The Deep Blue Sea (1955), The White Cliffs of Dover (1944), Born to Be Bad (1950), Ivy (1947), Reckless (1935), Springtime in the Rockies (1942), The Barretts of Wimpole Street

#5 of 254 ReggieW

ReggieW

Screenwriter

• 1,574 posts

Posted March 14 2006 - 08:55 PM

Warner stated there would be Harlow titles released throughout 2006-2007 in the chat two weeks ago. "Red-Headed Woman" is to be included in the forthcoming pre-code set. I don't even know if any of the films she made with Gable will be included in his boxset this June - If someone knows, I hope they'll post it.

Warner did say in the Feb 2005 chat that the Harlow boxset would not appear until the end of 2006, so technically, they are not yet late, and are likely still on schedule. The boxset probably won't include ALL of her films since Warner likes to spread things out. Since Harlow has a limited number of films to exploit due to her untimely death, Warner couldn't milk her small catalog along the lines of Davis, Garland, Crawford, etc; I predict that we'll likely see two boxsets from Harlow. One in 2006 and the next one in 2007. With female collections of Lombard, Dietrich, & West coming from Universal on Apr 4, Warner would be missing the boat if we saw no Harlow set in 2006.
More Harlow on DVD Now! - Red Dust, Bombshell, Hold Your Man, Saratoga, The Iron Man, Goldie, The Secret Six, Beast of the City, Three Wise Girls, Reckless, Personal Property, Riff-raff, Suzy & Girl from Missouri

#6 of 254 Corey

Corey

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted March 15 2006 - 01:07 AM

Quote:
Warner stated there would be Harlow titles released throughout 2006-2007 in the chat two weeks ago. "Red-Headed Woman" is to be included in the forthcoming pre-code set. I don't even know if any of the films she made with Gable will be included in his boxset this June - If someone knows, I hope they'll post it.

The only title with Jean Harlow in the Gable collection will be the The Secret Six.

#7 of 254 Sergio A

Sergio A

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted March 15 2006 - 01:58 AM

Presumably 2007 is a safe bet as it would coincide with the 70th anniversary of her death.

At least LIBELLED LADY, PUBLIC ENEMY and HELL'S ANGEL'S are amongst those films of hers already out there - but of course it's not enough - I'd love to see CHINA SEAS again - and if the posthumous SARATOGA is released (even if it is a bit of a minor title) it would be nice of it covered the ways it had to be finished without Harlow.

#8 of 254 ReggieW

ReggieW

Screenwriter

• 1,574 posts

Posted March 15 2006 - 09:54 PM

Well,

I don't know if the 70th anniversary of her passing would be worth celebrating imho, and her centennial isn't until 2011. If "The Secret Six" will be the only film with she and Gable in his boxset, then many of the other films she made with him will likely be surfacing in her boxset.

I do agree that Saratoga does deserve a commentary or a doc of some type since it has such an interesting history. I believe that this was the first time that anyone attempted to replace a star with a body double ala Ed Wood. This film does suffer long periods with Harlow missing replete with lame explanations from the characters for her lack of appearance. She was just so popular that fans demanded that MGM finish the film. Gable had initially refused to return, but then decided to go ahead and finish it. Saratoga became the top grossing film of 1937.

Also worth noting: "Hold Your Man" was shown only in the South with a white preacher in a scene in which she and Gable elope in jail, where as the rest of the country correctly got the black preacher. It would be nice if Warner could provide the Southern preacher scene as an alternate take. It's stuff like this which reminds you that it was the 1930's and many people back then had problems with the depictions of minorities as anything other than servants, maids or ignorant simpletons. There is a still of this Southern preacher scene in one of the Harlow Bios that I have.

I would also like to see a commentary on "Red Dust." Harlow's husband, Paul Bern, committed suicide during this films production, and MGM considered replacing her with Tallulah Bankhead. This never happened since Harlow recovered, and eventually returned to complete Red Dust.
More Harlow on DVD Now! - Red Dust, Bombshell, Hold Your Man, Saratoga, The Iron Man, Goldie, The Secret Six, Beast of the City, Three Wise Girls, Reckless, Personal Property, Riff-raff, Suzy & Girl from Missouri

#9 of 254 Corey

Corey

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted March 16 2006 - 12:36 AM

Quote:
Also worth noting: "Hold Your Man" was shown only in the South with a white preacher in a scene in which she and Gable elope in jail, where as the rest of the country correctly got the black preacher. It would be nice if Warner could provide the Southern preacher scene as an alternate take. It's stuff like this which reminds you that it was the 1930's and many people back then had problems with the depictions of minorities as anything other than servants, maids or ignorant simpletons. There is a still of this Southern preacher scene in one of the Harlow Bios that I have.

i love hold your man, and i'm really hoping they put this in her set.

#10 of 254 Corey

Corey

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted March 20 2006 - 09:54 AM

well since china seas and wife vs. secretary are going to be in the gable collection, that only leaves 10 titles for the harlow set, so WB might just package them all together like how they did greta garbo's.

#11 of 254 ReggieW

ReggieW

Screenwriter

• 1,574 posts

Posted March 20 2006 - 08:45 PM

You may be right Corey.

I do think Warner will do a splendid job with the Harlow titles. I would like to see commentray tracks on some of the essential releases like Saratoga and Red Dust. A new documentary on her is long overdue, as well as anything else Warner might discover in their vaults. She did do a few lux radio presentations, and their are probably a few vintage radio interviews with her floating around out there as well.

#12 of 254 Corey

Corey

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted March 20 2006 - 09:27 PM

Quote:
A new documentary on her is long overdue, as well as anything else Warner might discover in their vaults. She did do a few lux radio presentations, and their are probably a few vintage radio interviews with her floating around out there as well.

that would be so awesome. i love those TCM original documentaries. they always do such a good job with them.

#13 of 254 Art_AD

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted March 21 2006 - 02:03 AM

The documentary on the Dinner at Eight disc on Harlow is a great TCM documentary. I not sure another is needed. The documentary Warner did on William Powell on the Thin man disc is not very good, with all the films of his they own there were very few clips from films and they could have been much longer it was not worthy of such a great star.MAybe we will see a better one on the next Loy Powell Box set. Two of the stars of the 20-30's that need a good documentary is Marie Dressler & John Gilbert.

#14 of 254 ReggieW

ReggieW

Screenwriter

• 1,574 posts

Posted March 21 2006 - 06:57 AM

I agree with what you said about everything except (well almost!) the Harlow documentary. Though informative, Sharon Stone was very over the top, and instead of a straight single person narration, I would've like to have seen interviews with people who worked with Jean (Though I know they are becoming rare now)& who knew her, as well as some of the stars she's influenced today. I think a 90 min doc in the vein of the one found in the Flynn collection would be quite nice in which the subject is fleshed out.

I agree - The Powell documentary was dismal and far to short for a star who had such a long career. It felt really rushed and slapped together. Dressler and Gilbert do NEED docs produced for them as well. Many people today forget just how popular Dressler was in the early thrities. Harlow had stated how nervous she was just being in the same scene with Dressler.

#15 of 254 Corey

Corey

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted March 21 2006 - 07:00 AM

well i headed to the digital bits and read their classics coming attraction list and it said the harlow set will come out in 2006 or 2007. so we'll just have to wait until the end of the year to see. in the meantime, i'm anxious about the 3rd and 4th volumes of film noir sets coming out this year. i know they mentioned robert mitchum, so hopefully "macao" & "his kind of woman" is included. that would be great since jane russell is underrepresented on dvd. they did say that volume 4 would include "side street."

#16 of 254 Corey

Corey

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted March 21 2006 - 07:06 AM

Quote:
Two of the stars of the 20-30's that need a good documentary is Marie Dressler & John Gilbert.

Not only that, but they also should release some of her films, including tugboat annie, let us be gay, emma, politics, & min and bill (especially since she won the Best Actress oscar for it).

#17 of 254 Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,411 posts

Posted March 03 2010 - 06:18 AM

Today would have been Jean Harlow's 99th birthday. Are we ever getting the promised centential set ?

#18 of 254 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted March 03 2010 - 06:56 AM

Quote:
Today would have been Jean Harlow's 99th birthday. Are we ever getting the promised centential set ?
I certainly hope so.  The fact that none of her major films have shown up in the archive yet, certainly lend credence to this still being in development.  Assuming that WB plans to release this for her centennial, we should hear something around the 4th quarter of this year.  Although, it's been an awful long time since WB has put out a boxset of pressed classics, so anything is NOT possible these days.

#19 of 254 ReggieW

ReggieW

Screenwriter

• 1,574 posts

Posted March 03 2010 - 07:18 AM

I am helping Mark Vieira and a few others put together a centennial exhibition for AMPAS next Spring (2011). I will be contributing first editions of Red Headed Woman (1931), Today is Tonight (the posthumously published novel she penned while on strike from MGM in 1934), and the first biography written on her after her death in 1937 called "Jean Harlow Hollywood Comet" which features a striking George Hurrell dustwrapper. All copies are in fine condition with the original dustwrappers, so should display nicely.

Darrell Rooney (a Disney director/animator and HUGE Harlow collector) has asked me about contacting Warner, so if they are reading this, please contact one of us! (We all live in Los Angeles, and I would think that Mark Vieira wouldn't be difficult for them to contact since he worked with them on the Garbo set).

As far as the boxset goes, I am purely in "believe it when I see it mode" on this. After several years of waiting, anything is most certainly not possible. I would never have thought that Red Dust and Bombshell would be so overlooked, or that most of her films would be MIA some 13 years into the DVD formats history. WHV has certainly released titles far less popular than these. I hope this all changes.

Happy 99th "Baby" Jean!

#20 of 254 Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,411 posts

Posted March 03 2010 - 03:35 PM

For those in the New York City area the Film Forum will be showing a double feature of Red Dust and Bombshell on Friday and Saturday March 5 and 6, 2010 as the opening program of a 2 week Victor Fleming Festival.

http://www.filmforum...ms/fleming.html

As has been said neither film is on DVD .

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow