Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Martin & Lewis: Volume I June 13

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#1 of 41 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted March 14 2006 - 02:40 AM

Davisdvd.com has announced the Martin and Lewis Collection: Volume I from Paramount on June 13: THAT'S MY BOY, SAILOR BEWARE, MONEY FROM HOME, THE CADDY, SCARED STIFF, JUMPING JACKS, and a reprise of MY FRIEND IRMA/MY FRIEND IRMA GOES WEST.
Charles Hoyt

#2 of 41 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted March 14 2006 - 03:48 AM

Posted Image
stated that all are remastered, the artwork is great, just makes me wish that they owned more of there properties that universal now has control of, instead of DVD-18 you get single disc for each feature, consider at least one of these sold already!!!

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#3 of 41 OFFLINE   Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted March 14 2006 - 03:50 AM

What, no 3-D version of MONEY FROM HOME? I'm so shocked!

I've been able to see the film twice theatrically in recent years in the original dual projector polarized 3-D form, and truth be told I found it to be one of the more umimaginative examples of stereoscopic cinema I've seen. It's not just a lack of gimmicky shots, but rather the fact that most scenes didn't seem well staged for the natural depth the process provides. All in all, I think this one suffers less than most 3-D movies when flattened out for home video. I don't think it had much of a 3-D release in the 50's either, though I do have a nice half sheet poster proudly proclaiming it was the teams first Technicolor and 3-D film.

#4 of 41 OFFLINE   JohnPM

JohnPM

Second Unit

• 273 posts

Posted March 14 2006 - 04:27 AM

Haven't there been problems transferring 3-D to the DVD format? Seems I'd heard of efforts along those lines, and the difficulties in getting the effect to work properly.

Link deleted by moderator. See HTF Rule 7.

#5 of 41 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,669 posts

Posted March 14 2006 - 04:57 AM

Even though he owned a Stereo Realist camera, Jerry Lewis was not particulary pleased to have to film this movie in 3-D. He said the extra lights required for both 3-D and the 3-strip Technicolor camera made the set an inferno. They couldn't go for too long a take before everybody started sweating. You can see several shots in the film where Dean's hair looks like he just stepped out of the shower!

However, I still enjoy it in 3-D and it's too bad it can not be released in a field-sequential edition.

Also, both THE CADDY and SCARED STIFF were originally released with full stereophonic sound. The 3 track audio was on a separate roll of 35mm magnetic full-coat which was interlocked with the picture. Unfortunately, those tracks are long gone.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Bubbleweb_edited-1_zpsc986b444.jpg

#6 of 41 OFFLINE   Brook K

Brook K

Lead Actor

• 9,468 posts

Posted March 14 2006 - 05:02 AM

Will You're Never Too Young be included in a future set?
2002 Sight & Sound Challenge: 321  Last Watched: L'enfance Nue
Last 8 Films Watched: In the Loop - A- / It Might Get Loud - B+ / What Just Happened? - B / Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - C- / Drums Along the Mohawk - A- / Punisher War Zone - B+ / Moon - C+ / A Man For All Seasons - B+

#7 of 41 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,669 posts

Posted March 14 2006 - 06:47 AM

I imagine volume 2 will include Living it Up, Three Ring Circus, You're Never too Young, Artists and Models, Pardners and Hollywood or Bust.

That would leave out The Stooge (single disc release) and At War with the Army - which is a public domain title, and I believe Turner/WB has the original 35mm nitrate elements.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#8 of 41 OFFLINE   Shawn Cornwell

Shawn Cornwell

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted March 14 2006 - 07:22 AM

Finally! Thank you Paramount. I'm sure the later releases will be on Volume 2- "Artists and Models" and "Hollywood or Bust" are my top two favorite Martin & Lewis films. Of the Volume 1 films, I'm looking forward the most to "That's My Boy" and "Scared Stiff."
Favorite Classics Not on DVD: One Hour With You, She Done Him Wrong, These Three, A Women's Face, The Magnificent Ambersons, The Hard Way ('43), The Human Comedy, The Picture of Dorian Gray, Cluny Brown, Margie, The Search, Beyond the Forest, Flamingo Road, Intruder in the Dust, The African...

#9 of 41 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,669 posts

Posted March 14 2006 - 07:32 AM

Interesting to note that all of the titles which I mentioned would probably be in volume 2, are widescreen. They were presented theatrically in either 1.66 or 1.85.

Think we'll get widescreen transfers?

Also, for what it's worth, Circus, Young, Artists and Pardners were originally in Perspecta stereo sound.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#10 of 41 OFFLINE   FrancisP

FrancisP

Screenwriter

• 1,115 posts

Posted May 04 2006 - 05:45 AM

Count me as a little nervous about this. It is about 5 1/2 weeks before June 13 and I don't see it listed on any online sites that I use. Could Paramount to planning to release it later in the year?

#11 of 41 OFFLINE   GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted May 04 2006 - 06:27 AM

Paramount has been acting really weird with their classic releases. They announced a bunch of noirs and John Wayne titles from Republic catalogue that were delayed indefinately. Their Batjac titles were delayed from December to June. They've been ignoring their classic catalogue except for TV shows and special editions of titles available previously. And now this boxset is MIA at most retailers. Seems like Paramount is too busy redesigning old covers or they just ran out of films to release.

#12 of 41 OFFLINE   howardWB

howardWB

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted May 04 2006 - 07:16 AM

I've always been a big fan or Martin and Lewis. Very glad to see their movies finally coming to DVD. Though on this box 3 titles are already available from
Paramount so I'm holding off until the first box arrives. Their early movies
are good, frentic and different for when they started, but don't scratch
the surface of their Colgate Comedy Hour shows. I felt they notched it
up by "Living It Up" with the only miss-step, "Three Ring Circus". Their
work with Tashlin and even "Pardners" written by novelist Sidney Sheldon (if I'm correct--working from memory here)are the highlight of their film
career as a team (imho). I'm excited about Martin and Lewis getting
the treatment they should and will be first in line on release day to purchase the first box set.

I also would love to see a 2nd installment of the missing Jerry Lewis
solo films.

Regards,
Howard
Posted Image

#13 of 41 OFFLINE   Terry H

Terry H

Second Unit

• 319 posts

Posted May 21 2006 - 01:10 PM

So what happened to this? It still doesn't seem to be available for pre-order anywhere.

#14 of 41 OFFLINE   seanOhara

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted May 21 2006 - 03:29 PM

Quote:
So what happened to this? It still doesn't seem to be available for pre-order anywhere.

The same thing happened with their Republic titles and the John Wayne double features. There seems to be something screwy with their DVD division.
My Blog
Les Miserables Volume 1 with my reading of "Four and Four"
Librivox Short Story Collection 34 with my reading of Jack London's "War"

#15 of 41 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,293 posts

Posted May 21 2006 - 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanOhara
The same thing happened with their Republic titles and the John Wayne double features. There seems to be something screwy with their DVD division.

Among the majors, only Warners and Fox seem to be doing anything substantial with their classic catalogs this year. Have those two so dominated the classic market that Paramount, Sony et al have determined it's not worth competing??
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#16 of 41 OFFLINE   Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor

• 854 posts

Posted May 21 2006 - 05:20 PM

Not worth competing? Don't you remember the tremendous libraries that Paramount, Universal and Columbia (now that they've acquired UA) have?

It's politics. And when the cycle starts over, those who are in charge will be replaced. Eventually, I'm sure we'll see all of these great films on video. We'll just have to wait a little longer.
-J. Theakston

#17 of 41 OFFLINE   JohnPM

JohnPM

Second Unit

• 273 posts

Posted May 22 2006 - 12:23 AM

You're right about those in charge being replaced. Paramount and Columbia have been good, or at least better, in the past. I suspect they will be again.

http://greenbriarpic...s.blogspot.com/

#18 of 41 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,293 posts

Posted May 22 2006 - 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Theakston
Not worth competing? Don't you remember the tremendous libraries that Paramount, Universal and Columbia (now that they've acquired UA) have?

It's politics. And when the cycle starts over, those who are in charge will be replaced. Eventually, I'm sure we'll see all of these great films on video. We'll just have to wait a little longer.

I do remember. Maybe I didn't make my point clear: What I meant was that the execs felt it wasn't worth competing because they weren't selling as many units as they'd like either because of competition from Warners/Fox or because of other factors (high price point of Sony product, poor quality of Universal discs, etc.)

There are tons of material of those respective vaults that I'd love to have.
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#19 of 41 OFFLINE   FrancisP

FrancisP

Screenwriter

• 1,115 posts

Posted May 22 2006 - 04:51 AM

Apparently the Paramount tv division seems to know what they are doing. They have released a steady stream of classic tv shows. It looks like it's the movie division that doesn't have its act together.

#20 of 41 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,621 posts

Posted May 27 2006 - 10:24 PM

You guys aren't going to like this.

According to a sticker being placed on the back of the
current Movies Unlimited catalog...

The Dean Martin/Jerry Lewis Collection #1 has
been canceled by Paramount Home Entertainment

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

Forum Nav Content I Follow