Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The New Adventures of Old Christine - ever-enduring thread (merged)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#1 of 52 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,723 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted March 13 2006 - 04:49 PM

Running in place of How I Met Your Mother tonight, I couldn't avoid it, though I was also curious. Definitely could have done without the laugh track. Not sure if it will have legs - my gut says no, though I would it would be nice if one of the Seinfeld alum had another hit.

#2 of 52 OFFLINE   Alf S

Alf S

Screenwriter

• 1,496 posts

Posted March 14 2006 - 12:57 AM

Watched the pilot episode (they showed two shows I guess?)..it was ok...not great by any means. I'll give it a bit more time but not sure the show will make it.
WOOSAH!.

#3 of 52 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,941 posts

Posted March 14 2006 - 02:03 AM

That was painful. I should have trusted my gut on this one. I heard that this show got good reviews? How is that possible?

#4 of 52 OFFLINE   Doug Miller

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts

Posted March 14 2006 - 04:03 PM

I don't know, I thought it was pretty funny. I watched it since it was in my favorite shows time slot this week. The pilot was so-so, but I got a kick out of "Supertramp" the followup episode later that night. Good chemistry with the cast, some funny digs here and there. Shows potential, but I agree it needs to lose the laugh track. Doug

#5 of 52 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted March 14 2006 - 06:00 PM

Didn't watch it, but I know for a fact it couldn't be as bad as Watching Ellie or whatever the hell that show she did for NBC was called(at least I hope it wasn't that bad). I think we can safely say that the "Seinfeld Curse" continues on and will haunt Julia, Jason Alexander and Michael Richards for the rest of their careers.
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#6 of 52 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted March 14 2006 - 07:29 PM

I have the eps recorded on disc but I haven't watched them yet. I did read some reviews and they said pretty much that the show was just average, i'll give it a fair shake, though. As for the so called "Seinfeld curse", I always wondered why they don't stop doing television and concentrate on feature films? Who knows, maybe that's where their next hit resides.
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#7 of 52 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,941 posts

Posted March 15 2006 - 01:32 AM

It was that bad...but at least 'Watching Ellie' had Julia sing at the end of every episode. From what I remember, she had a pretty good voice.

#8 of 52 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,587 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted March 15 2006 - 01:52 AM

I watched the pilot, and it was awful. The laugh track was loud and almost constantly running - a sure sign nothing funny was happening onscreen. This one won't last.
Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.
* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.
* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#9 of 52 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,306 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 15 2006 - 02:29 AM

The critics often get to see the first four or five episodes of a series, not just the pilot, so the good reviews might be based on stuff we haven't seen yet. (And a pilot, just by its nature, is often the last thing in the world you want to judge the series by.) I screwed up and forgot to DVR the first two episodes, but I'll check out the next couple and see how things look once the cast and crew had a couple of episodes under their belts and had worked some of the initial bugs out. Regards, Joe

#10 of 52 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,723 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted March 15 2006 - 02:52 AM

I didn't catch the second episode. I'm willing to give it a chance past the pilot, knowing it's not the best indicator, but I know better shows have not survived my stringent standards Posted Image.

#11 of 52 OFFLINE   Lucia Duran

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter

• 1,089 posts

Posted March 15 2006 - 03:08 AM

I didn't like it. Is it just me (and hubby) or was Julia's acting just really really horrible? I can't see this show going any further.
NO SHIRT

NO SHOES

NO SHELDON

#12 of 52 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,022 posts

Posted March 15 2006 - 03:11 AM

What's weird is that CBS is moving "Out of Practice" and "Courting Alex" into the 8 p.m. timeslot on Wednesday, so I guess "Old Christine" will stick around on Mondays for a bit?
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#13 of 52 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,941 posts

Posted March 15 2006 - 03:42 AM

I agree, but I think there are times (at least for me) when I just "know" I won't like it. I would even go so far as to say with this show, just based on the previews I saw I knew I wouldn't like it. I decided to give it a shot just because I happened to see that it was on when I was channel surfing. To support your statement though, a good example of a show where I wasn't crazy about the pilot was 'Arrested Development', but I could still tell there was something there and continued to watch it. Now I think it's possibly the best comedy show of all time. And I've even since gone back and watched the pilot again and enjoyed it.

#14 of 52 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,941 posts

Posted March 15 2006 - 03:43 AM

There's another show that just needs to go away.

#15 of 52 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,511 posts

Posted March 15 2006 - 03:51 AM

I gave up after 10 minutes. Actually, I gave up after she woke at the start of the show and the audienace chimed in with uproarious laughter. All I could think for the rest of the 10 mintues was, "what the hell are they laughing at?" Not a single funny thing happened. Time's up. It seems like over-compensation for the laugh-track free "Watching Ellie". Yeah, no laugh track -- that was the problem with that show.

#16 of 52 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,919 posts

Posted March 15 2006 - 04:08 AM

Just another case of not being able to take one element from a successful show and creating the same success. You would think the networks would have learned for Julia and Jason Alexander, to mention just a few.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#17 of 52 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted March 15 2006 - 08:17 PM

I liked it. It wasn't like 'Watching Elle',that show was slow, the characters were very odd and the whole thing was just...off.

This show is much more focused and organized and the characters are funnier. I especially liked Julia, her performance in this show displays, on a constant basis, all of the elements that I liked about Elain the best, I always thought Elain was at her cutest when she was confused and frustrated, just like Christine is here.

The character that got the biggest laugh from me was the kid oddly enough, when he walked into the classroom, looked around and asked "Where's all the black kids?" I would have blown liquid from my nose if I had been drinking LOL.

Also, you guy's are making too much of the laugh track IMO, it didn't interfere with the show for me at all and it was low enough to be ignored altogether. But, if they lose it, so be it.

I'll keep tuning in. Posted Image
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#18 of 52 OFFLINE   Wendy_L

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted March 16 2006 - 02:56 AM

I thought the first episode was just sort of blah but the 2nd episode definitely got a few chuckles from me. I'll give it another week or two. (I like "Courting Alex")
Who needs a life when you have TV?
My Current Top 10: Grey's Anatomy, Gilmore Girls, Medium, Veronica Mars, Bones, How I Met Your Mother, Lost, Heroes, Desperate Housewives, Entourage, Survivor
Top 3 All-Time Favorites: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Friends
I Still Miss: Tru Calling, Once &...

#19 of 52 OFFLINE   Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted March 16 2006 - 05:46 AM

The show is growing on me but that laugh track is beyond obnoxious. Not every comedy can be as brilliant as Arrested Development and survive without a laugh track, however for ...Old Christine they should dial it down and use it more jusiciously.

#20 of 52 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,587 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted March 17 2006 - 02:03 AM

You must have been watching a version of the show with a different sound mix, because when I watched it the laugh track was obnoxiously loud.
Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.
* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.
* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.