What's new

Big Love ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

BridgetJZ

Second Unit
I had posted something in the Sopranos thread about this show, which premieres tonight immediately after the Sopranos.

Looks pretty good, IMHO and sorta reminds me of Six Feet Under.

In either case, you can watch the preview and whatnot on HBO's official site.

Anyone else plan on watching?

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Theres a long running joke at my office about my 2 wives (my girlfriend and a good friend whos a coworker - we all work in the same place).I made a comment once about how a man should have 2 wives and the rest is too long to retell here. But coworks and my friends are always referring to them as wife#1 and wife#2.

Ive liked the previews so Im gonna check it out.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Hearing lots of good stuff about this show and I plan to watch.

[c]"You don't have ex-wives, you just have additional wives."[/c]

-Willie Nelson-

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
I never thought I'd be pining for the levity and cheer of 'Six Feet Under.'

I realize that these people do not represent the vast majority of Mormon life, but, just to be safe, if anyone sees me driving to or through Utah in the next, oh, 50 years, feel free to fire a rocket-propelled grenade at my car.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Well...after one episode I'd have to say it's hanging by a thread for me. I wouldn't call it bad but all I can say is I was bored out of my mind for about the last half. I'll probably give it one more week.

Alex F

Stunt Coordinator
Well I liked it a lot. The show has a lot of potential. You can never judge these shows by the first episode. Or in some cases the first 5 episodes (ROME, I'm looking at you).

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
It was interesting. I was not bored, but not hooked. I just kept thinking about how I could have been watching Deadwood after the Sopranos instead...

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"I just kept thinking about how I could have been watching Deadwood after the Sopranos instead..."

Yea that little spot they did got me excited. Deadwood(my favorite show) and Entourage in June:emoji_thumbsup:

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Excellent pilot episode with quite a few angles to address. Why are they poisoning his dad?? Whose daughter is the 14yo bride? ... It's too bad they couldn't have made Amanda Seyfried wife #4 though. :)

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
This show is nothing like I thought it would be. I never really paid attention to the previews and went into the show thinking it was going to be a comedy. Well that camp reminded me more of Carnivale then it did of anything else. I didn't think the show was bad I just went into it expecting the wrong thing.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt

Ok, here's what I got out of it:

I think they were poisoning his dad (Roman, the "prophet" guy) because it was apparent that Roman, the prophet runs the camp, and had given him startup capital way back for 15% of the company. When a new store was being opened, he was just getting 15% of the "franchise fee" rather then 15% of the gross income stream. So, I think he was tryin to send a message.

The "Prophet" guy is also the father of the second wife (the one who kept ordering crap and demanding money)

And the Prophet guy was also the husband of the 15 year old girl.

I got the opinion the message was:

The prophet guy and his self-styled polygamy is the sick and twisted kind, compared to three adults who knowingly consented, ala the Hendricksons.

BridgetJZ

Second Unit
Well, I'm glad to hear that at least a couple of you tuned in.

My thoughts:

Overall, I thought the show was really, really well constructed. I felt really uncomfortable during so many of the scenes, though I think that was the intention.

I tend to favor Ginnifer Goodwin's character...I feel so bad for her.

Bill Paxton is great and incredibly convincing in that role.

The last couple of minutes...what a cliffhanger.

I'm tuning in next week, for sure. I'm intrigued.

Alex F

Stunt Coordinator

Roman and his dad are not the same person. They're poisoning his dad. Not Roman. Roman is the creepy Prophet guy. His dad is the white haired guy being poisoned.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Anyone else notice the "Waterworld" reunion. With Jeanne Tripplehorn & Tina Majorino (whose face looked bloated ;) )

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Did anyone else recognize the name of the director of the pilot, Rodrigo Garcia? He was at the helm for some of the better Six Feet Under episodes, as well as some Carnivale episodes. According to IMDB, he also did one episode of The Sopranos.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks