What's new

Is a special edition of 'Body Heat' coming? (1 Viewer)

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
I seem to recall that Warner were promising a special edition of 'Body Heat' some time ago, although I don't think there was any mention of it at the recent chat (probably because nobody asked about it). As 2006 is the 25th anniversary of this great film, it would be an appropriate time to release a special edition. Has anyone heard whether this is in Warner's schedule?

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
In a chat in 2004 or 2005, WB mentioned that there would be a 25th Anniversary edition of Body Heat. This would be the year. Keeping my fingers crossed. :)

Nick Shookla

Agent
Real Name
Nick Shookla
Ah, I hope that's true! I didn't even think about checking previous chats for news on this release, so I guess that makes sense why it wasn't mentioned in this years. Can't wait...

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
the impression i got from that earlier chat was that Body Heat would be a 2 disc release. they probably never said as much, but they did say it would be an SE- and how many single disc SEs does Warner put out?

But then they have also said that all HD DVD catalog titles this year will be day and date with their SD SE release (which i took to mean that only SE catalog re-dos this year would be getting a HD release- in addition to the expected new release titles)- but on that master list posted recently, A Body Heat HD DVD release is nowhere to be seen.

Nick Shookla

Agent
Real Name
Nick Shookla
From Davisdvd:

Warner Home Video will release a Body Heat: Special Edition on October 24th. Director Lawrence Kasdan's noir thriller arrives with a brand-new digitally remastered anamorphic transfer and a three-part documentary ("The Plan," "The Production," "The Post-Production") featuring new interviews with Kasdan, D.P. Richard H. Kline, editor Carol Littleton and actors Kathleen Turner, William Hurt and Ted Danson. Retail will be $19.97.

Finally! I've been putting off buying the OOP dvd for a while now, glad this is coming.

Dave GR

Stunt Coordinator
Great news. This is one of my fave neo-noirs; I'd been holding off getting the existing release too, in anticipation of the SE.:emoji_thumbsup:

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
ah...it's a single disc SE. That explains why it wasn't earmarked for a HD DVD release on that 2006 projection list.

Guess I'll just have to upgrade if and when it hits HD, because I'm not passing this up. Already sold off my regular dvd a few months back (and was surprised what I got for it- I didn't realize it was already oop at the time).

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Here is the official WB Press Release:
-------------------------------------

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PRESS RELEASE ATTACHED

BODY HEAT: DELUXE EDITION

SIZZLES ONTO DVD OCTOBER 24
WITH NEW SPECIAL FEATURES

Burbank, Calif., July 24, 2006 -- Body Heat -- the steamy tale of lust, greed and
murder starring William Hurt, Kathleen Turner and Richard Crenna that was one of the
cinema's sexy sensations of the '80s -- debuts as a Deluxe Edition DVD from Warner
Home Video (WHV) on October 24. The Deluxe Edition boasts never-before-seen lifted
scenes and three new featurettes and will sell for $19.97 SRP.

Marking the directing debut of Lawrence Kasdan (The Big Chill, The Accidental
Tourist and Grand Canyon), Body Heat echoes the 1940s film noir genre in the
tradition of Double Indemnity and The Postman Always Rings Twice, but with explicit
sexuality that would never have been allowed then. Academy Award®-winning actor
William Hurt stars as naïve attorney Ned Racine, playing opposite Kathleen Turner in
her film debut as married socialite Maddie Walker. Ned's lust for Maddie blinds him
to the deadly consequences of seduction and deception and takes him on a runaway
ride of passion, with a one-way ticket to trouble. John Barry provided the sultry
score; Ted Danson and Mickey Rourke are memorable in supporting roles.

Special Features

· Lifted scenes

· Three new featurettes:

o Body Heat: The Plan: Explores the script and the cast with new interviews
from Lawrence Kasdan, Kathleen Turner, William Hurt and Ted Danson

o The Production: Explores the making of the film and production stories -
with new interviews from Lawrence Kasdan, Kathleen Turner, William Hurt, Ted Danson,
Richard H. Kline (director of photography), and Carol Littleton (editor)

o The Post-production: Explores the editing, the music and the theatrical
release - with new interviews from Lawrence Kasdan, Kathleen Turner, William Hurt,
Ted Danson, Richard H. Kline (director of photography), Carol Littleton (editor) and
John Barry (composer)

· 1981 interview footage with Kathleen Turner and William Hurt

· Theatrical trailer

· Remastered in a 16x9 format enhanced for widescreen televisions

BODY HEAT REMASTERED 25TH-ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION

Street Date: October 24, 2006

$19.97 SRP

Run Time: 113 Minutes

Rated R

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

With operations in 90 international territories, Warner Home Video, a Warner Bros.
Entertainment Company, commands the largest distribution infrastructure in the
global video marketplace. Warner Home Video's film library is the largest of any
studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner
Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Home Video and
New Line Home Entertainment.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I'm a bit disappointed they didn't take the opportunity to use the original key art, but this one isn't bad. Much nicer than the slapdash graphics on the first release.

now if only this was going to be an HD release too (sigh)

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I bought the SE yesterday. The documentaries are really good. But you would never guess the Kathleen Turner of Today was that beauty of 25 years ago.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
The really surprising fact revealed in the documentaries was that the weather was COLD when they filmed this movie! So much so that during some of the outdoor scenes--they specifically mention the one near the beginning where Hurt and Turner are walking along the local boardwalk--the actors had to use the old trick of sucking on ice until just before the camera rolls, in order to prevent their breath from steaming up in front of their mouths! Kasdan also says that there was a strong wind coming from the water that was particularly cold, so they parked some trucks right off camera to try and block as much of it as they could.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

I found the whole documentary interesting. If it were to be made today, Body Heat would be an indie film. As it was it was very low budget and worked against convention. It was also interesting to hear Carol Littleton's thoughts about editing the film. I liked the quote about how John Barry's score became a character in the film. I really recommend this DVD to everyone. It is worth having in your collection. Hopefully Warner will release it on HD DVD soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks