Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

1937 A Star Is Born

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 of 36 OFFLINE   Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

• 330 posts

Posted March 11 2006 - 02:52 AM

I have been trying to decide which version of the many choices availlable to buy of the original "A Star is Born". I am one of the many who has seen the trailer in beautiful technicolor on the Garland disc, and want to get a copy on DVD that will be as close as possible.
I recognize this may be wishful thinking, but someone who loves this film and the three strip technicolor process could possibly give me some direction. It's been years since I have seen the movie, and I'd like to watch the best version availlable-

Any chance Warners is going to release this title restored?

Thanks-
Jack

#2 of 36 ONLINE   Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Screenwriter

• 1,119 posts

Posted March 11 2006 - 03:04 AM

The Kino disc, hands down. It was transfered from a 35mm nitrate print from the Selznick estate. While it's not perfect, it is miles and miles ahead of the others...even including a brief deleted scene (without sound)

#3 of 36 OFFLINE   Danny Burk

Danny Burk

Second Unit

• 269 posts
  • LocationSouth Bend, IN

Posted March 11 2006 - 03:05 AM

During the recent chat, WB indicated that they may do something with it; I believe they own the elements. At present, the best version I've seen comes from Image. It's from a Tech nitrate print and is quite nice; Amazon has it for only $8.99.

#4 of 36 OFFLINE   Danny Burk

Danny Burk

Second Unit

• 269 posts
  • LocationSouth Bend, IN

Posted March 11 2006 - 03:06 AM

Just saw your post, Will - I've not seen the Kino version. Have you been able to compare it to Image's?

#5 of 36 OFFLINE   JohnPM

JohnPM

Second Unit

• 273 posts

Posted March 11 2006 - 03:54 AM

Warners used to syndicate the 1937 version on television in 16mm. Those prints were beautiful, as they derived from original elements which went to WB when they did the remake. I imagine a DVD from Warners would be a gorgeous thing to behold.

Link deleted by moderator. See HTF Rule 7.

#6 of 36 OFFLINE   Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

• 330 posts

Posted March 11 2006 - 05:07 AM

Thanks for the input-

So far I can't find the DVD for Kino, only the Image version- Their boxes look very similiar- Any chance they are one in the same?

What other pre-GWTW Selznick videos are availlable on DVD in good picture image and sound quality?

Jack

#7 of 36 ONLINE   Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Screenwriter

• 1,119 posts

Posted March 11 2006 - 07:17 AM

Sorry Jack, the Kino and the Image are the same disc. When I pulled it this morning to look at it, it's listed as KINO VIDEO on the spine and IMAGE on the back. Sorry for the mixup, but that's the one you want. Posted Image

And the extra minute IS a costume test, but I believe it's Viki Letser's costume test--not Janet Gaynor's (in other words, I think it's a costume test that was part of the narrative--but I may be wrong--I haven't seen it in a while)

As for the other pre-GWTW titles, GARDEN OF ALLAH looks phenomenal from Anchor Bay (and I hear that the MGM redo is the same transfer but I haven't seen it) and YOUNG IN HEART looks great from MGM.

The best available version of NOTHING SACRED is from LUMIVISION. I would love to see somebody release the restoration ABC/Disney did that's mentioned here:

http://millimeter.co...rson_restoring/

#8 of 36 OFFLINE   Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

• 330 posts

Posted March 12 2006 - 07:40 AM

Thanks again-

Got your posting in a nick of time- I had gone to Amazon and bought both the DVD from Image and the tape from Kino- I was able to go back and delete the tape! I also bought the Garden of Allah, the MGM version. Is Selznick's "Prisoner of Zenda" availlable on DVD? Is that multiple editions as well? If so, which version of that is best?

Jack

#9 of 36 OFFLINE   Danny Burk

Danny Burk

Second Unit

• 269 posts
  • LocationSouth Bend, IN

Posted March 12 2006 - 10:09 AM

PRISONER OF ZENDA isn't yet on DVD; happily, the recent WB chat revealed that all three versions are planned for release (1922, 1937, and 1952). No date given yet.

#10 of 36 OFFLINE   Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts
  • LocationSaranac Lake, NY

Posted March 12 2006 - 10:29 AM

somebody release the restoration ABC/Disney did that's mentioned here:

Fascinating article. 2000? Hmmmm. Why are we still waiting, I wonder. Ridiculous. A fantastic film..... ASIB '37, as well. Both should be treated as well as CITIZEN KANE, GONE WITH THE WIND, and OZ, imo.

#11 of 36 OFFLINE   Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

• 330 posts

Posted March 12 2006 - 11:32 AM

It was a fascinating article- Am I to understand that the ABC version of Nothing Sacred has never been released on DVD?

How does the Lumnivision product look?

#12 of 36 ONLINE   Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Screenwriter

• 1,119 posts

Posted March 12 2006 - 11:44 AM

That's right Jack it hasn't. I was used to really crappy versions of Nothing Sacred (I remember it being one of the first videotapes I got when I was a kid back in the 80's)and, to me, the LUMIVISION/SLINGSHOT dvd is a revelation. It's mostly sharp (if grainy) and the colors are good, if not great. It's by far the best of the video versions to date and includes the theatrical trailer, two Mack Sennett/Carole Lombard shorts (in Two-color Technicolor) and some really great Kodachrome home movies of Gable and Lombard.

There's even a warning on the back: "During one scene, shrinkage of the original 3-strip materials has caused an uneven line-up of the colors." heheh.....for a pd film, quite a bit of care has gone into the package.

Try it, and ignore the other crap versions. Good luck!

#13 of 36 ONLINE   Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Screenwriter

• 1,119 posts

Posted March 12 2006 - 12:35 PM

Interestingly, it seems that Anchor Bay released NOTHING SACRED on VHS at around the same time they released other Selznick titles on dvd (with beautiful restorations.) Anchor Bay got their titles from Disney so it's highly probable that this was the Disney restoration.

http://www.amazon.co....glance&s=video

The only problem is that it isn't available except through Amazon Marketplace. I've had trouble with mulitple version pd films through Amazon Marketplace in the past (I went through hell trying to track down the LUMIVISION dvd of the LITTLE PRINCESS because it was the only one transfered from Technicolor elements. They advertised their dvds under the right listing, but I wound up getting Madacy or Goodtimes dvds instead. I bought it three times before giving up--I never did get my hands on one) so there's no guarantee that you will get the right video, but I'd be curious to know.

#14 of 36 OFFLINE   Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

• 330 posts

Posted March 12 2006 - 01:28 PM

Thanks for the tip- I just purchased the one from Anchor Bay- In the Marketplace notes, it says it is from Anchor Bay, and that it is in the same box- Let's hope it is!

I will also purchase the Lumnivision copy, and compare the two-

Thanks again- Let's hope it's the restoration!

#15 of 36 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,477 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted March 12 2006 - 03:13 PM

The Image DVD for the 1937 version is pretty awful. Very damaged print, way too dark, lousy color, and interlaced.

#16 of 36 OFFLINE   GerardoHP

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor

• 696 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted March 12 2006 - 04:58 PM

The Image DVD for the 1937 version is pretty awful. Very damaged print, way too dark, lousy color, and interlaced.
Completely agree. If you're going to buy it, keep your hopes real low.
Gerardo

#17 of 36 ONLINE   Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Screenwriter

• 1,119 posts

Posted March 12 2006 - 05:28 PM

Far from perfect, but STILL the best version released thus far

#18 of 36 OFFLINE   Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor

• 854 posts

Posted March 12 2006 - 06:54 PM

Hopefully, someone will have the foresight to license the UCLA restoration I saw a 35mm print of it last year and it was absolutely STUNNING (apparently off elements). It made the film so much more enjoyable.
-J. Theakston

#19 of 36 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,477 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted March 12 2006 - 07:05 PM

Quote:
Far from perfect, but STILL the best version released thus far

For a time, Madacy's DVD for Metropolis was the "best" available on DVD. Posted Image

#20 of 36 OFFLINE   Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

• 330 posts

Posted March 13 2006 - 12:22 PM

Quote:

Are we talking about the "Star is Born" DVD with this quote, or the "Nothing Sacred" DVD?

Jack

Forum Nav Content I Follow