What's new

Sony Xplod Sub + AMP question (1 Viewer)

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
I recently purchased a Sony Xplod 10" XSL102P5 subwoofer (it was on a decent sale at Best Buy), and have a couple questions about suitable amplifiers for it.

-The subwoofer is rated at 330 watts RMS, but i have not been able to find any amplifiers that can power it at exactly this much. I have found amps with 380 watts, and 300 watts. Will lightly underpowering, or possibly slightly overpowering the woofer cause any damage to it? If so, how can i go about avoiding this?

-The woofer is rated for 4 ohms. Would I damage the speaker in any way if I powered it from an amplifier rated at 2 ohms?

I appreciate any help the members of HTF could give me with this, and send out my thanks in advanced.

Cheers

Derek*M

Auditioning
No over powering or under powering the sub slightly wont do anything just watch the gains.

Using an amp that is rated at 2ohms only means that it will give you less power at 4ohms. It will not hurt the sub in any way.

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
you are usually better overpowering a little bit than underpowering, as long as you have everything setup properly, especially since subs usually have a really high max. I know for me Iam running two 12' subs that run at 350 RMS and I have an 800W amp and I was only able to blow them once when I really tried.

BillSuneson

Stunt Coordinator
You can't hurt the sub by using the 2ohm power rating from the amp. The SUB determines the resistance not the amplifier. IF and only IF the amplifier has some ridiculous rating (i.e. 1000 W @ 2ohms) then you would be able to hurt the subwoofer is the rating @ 4ohms was greater or getting close to MAX power handling of the subwoofer.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks