Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Sony Xplod Sub + AMP question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted March 10 2006 - 11:24 AM

I recently purchased a Sony Xplod 10" XSL102P5 subwoofer (it was on a decent sale at Best Buy), and have a couple questions about suitable amplifiers for it.

-The subwoofer is rated at 330 watts RMS, but i have not been able to find any amplifiers that can power it at exactly this much. I have found amps with 380 watts, and 300 watts. Will lightly underpowering, or possibly slightly overpowering the woofer cause any damage to it? If so, how can i go about avoiding this?

-The woofer is rated for 4 ohms. Would I damage the speaker in any way if I powered it from an amplifier rated at 2 ohms?

I appreciate any help the members of HTF could give me with this, and send out my thanks in advanced.

Cheers

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Derek*M

Derek*M

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted March 11 2006 - 01:14 PM

No over powering or under powering the sub slightly wont do anything just watch the gains.

Using an amp that is rated at 2ohms only means that it will give you less power at 4ohms. It will not hurt the sub in any way.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Reid K

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator

• 207 posts

Posted March 12 2006 - 08:18 AM

you are usually better overpowering a little bit than underpowering, as long as you have everything setup properly, especially since subs usually have a really high max. I know for me Iam running two 12' subs that run at 350 RMS and I have an 800W amp and I was only able to blow them once when I really tried.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   christianCA

christianCA

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted March 21 2006 - 10:09 PM

no, you can hurt sub...
suport art!

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Derek*M

Derek*M

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted March 22 2006 - 07:11 AM

How do you figure?

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   BillSuneson

BillSuneson

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted April 12 2006 - 08:00 AM

You can't hurt the sub by using the 2ohm power rating from the amp. The SUB determines the resistance not the amplifier. IF and only IF the amplifier has some ridiculous rating (i.e. 1000 W @ 2ohms) then you would be able to hurt the subwoofer is the rating @ 4ohms was greater or getting close to MAX power handling of the subwoofer.

Bill