-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Need some TV on DVD suggestions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#1 of 58 Anthony Cler

Anthony Cler

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted March 10 2006 - 08:03 AM

I recently got hooked on watching TV shows on DVD. It all started last year with 24. I picked up season 1 for $12 during the after Thankgiving sales(2004) and finally got around to watching it last spring. My wife and I watched the entire season over the course of a few days.
It is SO much better being able to watch shows without commercials and then not having to wait for the next episode. After season 1 came 2,3 & 4 (which I gladly paid full price for).

Then I picked up Firefly (awesome) and Battlestar Galatica (also awesome). Oh yeah, and Lost season 1 (excellent). So far, I've watched a couple of episodes of Alias Season 1 and The Sheild Season 1 but am not getting sucked into these as much as I did with the others.

Except for the occasional sitcom or reality show, I don't watched much TV.

Any suggestions for another good series on DVD?

#2 of 58 Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted March 10 2006 - 08:12 AM

If you like drama, may I recommend HOMICIDE: LIFE ON THE STREET, arguably the best cop show of the Nineties. The entire series (7 seasons) is available from A&E Home Video, but it's pricey.

#3 of 58 Mary_P

Mary_P

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted March 10 2006 - 11:16 AM

You get no argument from me, just a second that "Homicide: Life on the Street" is best cop show EVER. (Okay, you said 90's, I said ever - is that an argument? Posted Image ) Deep Discount is showing a price of $149.97 for seasons 1-5, which is way less than I paid for the seasons individually. (Note: Seasons 1 & 2 were both very short, and are packaged together as one set.) Looking forward to Andre Braugher's new series, but I miss Pembleton terribly!

If you're hooked on "24," you might enjoy Showtime's "Sleeper Cell," which is coming out on DVD next week.

And of course if you haven't already, check out the "conclusion" to "Firefly," the feature film "Serenity." Not as wonderful as having several seasons of the series, but a satisfying resolution to one of the main storylines.

For comedy, you might want to try "Sports Night." The writing is very tight and sharp, and the performances are all excellent. Felicity Huffman ("Desperate Housewives," "TransAmerica") and Peter Krause ("Six Feet Under") are part of a stellar ensemble cast.

#4 of 58 Katherine_K

Katherine_K

Second Unit

• 456 posts

Posted March 10 2006 - 11:24 AM

Homicide's a good one, I'd also suggest MI-5 if you are into 24. MI-5 is highly addictive and it also has more DVD content per episode than any other series in existence. It's a BBS spy series that is sharp with great production values and twisting stories. Much more in the realistic vain of spy drama.

The Pretender is a good buy and much more entertaining than I remember it being when it was on TV. The Profiler is good for the first two seasons, but I wouldn't recommend seasons 3 or 4.

Space Above and Beyond if you like war stories (it's more a military series that happens to be in space rather than a scifi series).

#5 of 58 MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

• 597 posts

Posted March 10 2006 - 12:29 PM

I can't believe there's 4 Homicide fans in a row! I just finsihed the final episode of season 7 last night and plan to watch the movie tonight or tomorrow. It's the first time I've seen these since they aired. It's not normally a series I see getting mentioned in threads like this, but it's one of my favorite shows and highly recommended if you like cop shows.

If you liked Firefly, you might considers Joss' other two shows, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel (start with Buffy as Angel is a spin-off show).

On the sci-fi front, nearly everyone who gives Babylon 5 a shot loves it. I'd put it at my favorite show ever (just barely beating out Homicide).

EDIT: The one complain I have about Homicide, and it's a big one, is there's no closed captioning or subtitles. And this show desperately needs them. Still, it's an awesome show.

#6 of 58 Joey Gunz

Joey Gunz

Second Unit

• 299 posts

Posted March 10 2006 - 12:41 PM

1) Babylon 5 - this is an epic story set in space. I'm in the process of getting it myself Posted Image . There's 5 seasons and it's important to watch it in order. There's also 5 (I think) babylon 5 movies, but don't watch them until you're done with the show. Actually, you should watch "The Gathering" before you watch the first episode. It's the series pilot, yet they didn't include it with season 1 DVD set. You'll have to buy it separately.

2) Babylon 5: Crusade - This takes place after Babylon 5. Sadly, it only lasted one season. Posted Image

3) Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - this show is, IMHO, the best Star Trek show ever. It's starts off rather slow but then during season 3 I think, the show just takes off with a big epic story and never looks back.

4) Smallville - Great show. Posted Image

#7 of 58 Anthony Cler

Anthony Cler

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted March 11 2006 - 12:59 AM

Wow, thanks for all the great suggestions! Except for Smallville, I haven't seen any of these shows. I love Smallville btw.

So many good suggestions, I don't know where to start.

Hmmm....

#8 of 58 Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor

• 754 posts
  • LocationDC area

Posted March 11 2006 - 02:36 AM

I recommend Freaks and Geeks, excellent series in so many ways.

And you only need to buy Season One Posted Image Posted Image

#9 of 58 Simon Massey

Simon Massey

Screenwriter

• 2,053 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted March 11 2006 - 04:01 AM

All the other shows mentioned as well as

The Sopranos
The West Wing

And stick with the Shield. It took me a while to get into it but now Im hooked.

#10 of 58 Johnny S

Johnny S

Stunt Coordinator

• 146 posts

Posted March 11 2006 - 04:39 AM

Some good recommendations so far, but I have to add Buffy The Vampire Slayer. This show is simply amazing! I got into the series through a blind buy on DVD too & never regretted it for 1 second. It's spinoff Angel which is also IMO one of the best television series ever. You mentioned you enjoyed Firefly which was created by Joss Whedon who also created Buffy & Angel so I'd say that this would be a very storng recommendation for you. Buffy season 1, though enjoyable is not even close to the heights the rest of the series achieves so it's tough to judge the show by just that. I'd say if you think season one is pretty good, you'll think the rest of the series is AMAZING!! It was released this past November in a complete series box-set which now can be abit hard to find, but no need to fear... The series will be re-released in season sets for about SRP $40 & in smaller packaging this May 30th. So I'd hold off until then for the slimmer & cheaper sets to save yourself approx $20 for each set & some shelf space.

TSOD News Story
Favourite Series: Friends, Angel, The Simpsons, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, How I Met Your Mother, The King Of Queens, Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond, Will & Grace and Brothers & Sisters.

#11 of 58 Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted March 11 2006 - 07:33 AM

Gilmore Girls is also a great series and ddeserves a strong recommendation along with Grey's Anatomoy. Also, check out Roswell, X-Files (Re-Release), Biffy the Vampire Slayer (Re-Release), Sliders, Earth 2, Farscape (Starburst Edition), Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda and Stargate Atlantis.

#12 of 58 LeonaB

LeonaB

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted March 11 2006 - 10:31 AM

Well, if you like 24, you might want to try LA FEMME NIKITA. The first three seasons are out on DVD right now, with S4 due (hopefully) around September.

LFN was done by the same people who do 24 (Joel Surnow, Robert Cochran, etc.) As LFN is one of my all-time favorite shows, I can't recommend it enough!

#13 of 58 ElijahS

ElijahS

Supporting Actor

• 751 posts

Posted March 11 2006 - 11:14 AM

I would recommend, in addition to all the shows above, Alias.
- Elijah

My TV DVD Collection

STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIPThe all-new drama from the creator of THE WEST WING and SPORTS NIGHTPremiering this fall on NBCThe last five minutes of St. Elsewhere is the only television show, ever. Everything else is a daydream.

#14 of 58 Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,260 posts

Posted March 12 2006 - 01:10 AM

Veronica Mars:Season1
American Gothic
Nowhere Man
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#15 of 58 Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,604 posts

Posted March 13 2006 - 05:39 AM

I'd recommend--

Recent series:

DEADWOOD: SEASON 1
DEAD LIKE ME: SEASON 1
DEAD LIKE ME: SEASON 2
CARNIVALE: SEASON 1
VERONICA MARS: SEASON 1
THE MRS. BRADLEY MYSTERIES
THE AMAZING RACE: SEASON 1
THE AMAZING RACE: SEASON 7

Vintage series:

THE AVENGERS: EMMA PEEL MEGA SET
SECRET AGENT: MEGA SET
THE PRISONER: MEGA SET
TWILIGHT ZONE [DEFINITIVE EDITION]: SEASON 1
ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS: SEASON 1 (DVD-18, so caveat emptor, but my set was luckily error-free)

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#16 of 58 Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen

Supporting Actor

• 648 posts

Posted March 13 2006 - 07:13 AM

If you are intrigued by Homicide:Life on the Street, you might want to consider Hill Street Blues - the show that set the bar for a quality continuing series, IMO. Posted Image

And hey, Let's be careful out there.
a:5:{s:9:"signature

#17 of 58 Valerie G.

Valerie G.

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts

Posted March 13 2006 - 12:42 PM

I'll second Gilmore Girls. It's not just a "chick show", although it is often mistakenlying labeled that.

I'll also second Stargate Atlantis, and I'll add Stargate SG-1. (I'm actually shocked that SG-1 hasn't been mentioned already....)

#18 of 58 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted March 13 2006 - 03:24 PM

Where is the love for my favorite TV on DVD show....Farscape. It has to be watched in order to really enjoy it. On the original DVD set the presentation is amazing.

#19 of 58 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,523 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted March 13 2006 - 05:02 PM

Due South

I'm in the middle of Season 2 now and find it hard to stop watching to get some sleep. Posted Image

The US sets from Platinum/Echo Entertainment have some PQ issues (I think they're VHS masters), but are certainly more than adequate for viewing and well worth the ridiculously cheap price for season sets (at Best Buy, Seasons 1 and 3 were $18.99 each; Season 2 $16.99).

If you want to spend a lot more for better quality, you can buy the import sets from Canada. But be warned you'll have to buy 4 sets instead of 3 (the US Season 3 set is really Seasons 3 & 4), and the Pilot episode is on the Season 3 set instead of at the start of Season 1 where it belongs.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#20 of 58 Anthony Cler

Anthony Cler

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted March 14 2006 - 05:03 PM

These suggestions will keep me busy at least until the 2nd season of Lost comes to DVD.

I've read a lot of good things about Babylon 5 in the past, but wasn't sure how the production quality holds up by todays standards.

So the suggestions so far are:

HOMICIDE: LIFE ON THE STREET
Babylon 5
Sleeper Cell
Sports Night
Space above and beyond
The Pretender
MI-5
STDS9
Buffy & Angel
Freaks & Geeks
West Wing
The Sopranos
LA FEMME NIKITA
Roswell
X-Files
Sliders
Earth 2
Farscape (Starburst Edition)
Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda
Stargate Atlantis
Veronica Mars:Season1
American Gothic
Nowhere Man
DEADWOOD: SEASON 1
DEAD LIKE ME: SEASON 1
DEAD LIKE ME: SEASON 2
CARNIVALE: SEASON 1
THE MRS. BRADLEY MYSTERIES
THE AMAZING RACE: SEASON 1
THE AMAZING RACE: SEASON 7
Hill Street Blues
Gilmore Girls
Stargate SG-1
Due South

Now, the big question is, which do get first? Since I liked Firefly/Serenity so much, I'm thinking I might get Buffy first.

I also loved the Original French movie "La Femme Nikita" and since "24" is my favorite show, I may want to try the TV DVD's of "Nikita" as well.

I tend to watch at least 4 episodes at a time of whatever show I'm on and usually have to force myself to stop at that.

I'll probably also try a few more episodes of "The Sheild" and "Alias" while I'm at it.

I'm also really looking forward to Battlestar Galatica season 2.5

Thanks for all the suggestions!