Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Polk R15s on sale again...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
188 replies to this topic

#1 of 189 John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,522 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted March 10 2006 - 07:46 AM

$49/pr at Fry's Electronics:

http://shop1.outpost....H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#2 of 189 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,769 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 12 2006 - 03:20 PM

They have now dropped to $39.99/pair.

I placed an order. Posted Image

Thanks, John! Do you have some R15s?

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#3 of 189 Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted March 13 2006 - 04:25 AM

Price just jumped to $129.98 a pair

#4 of 189 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,769 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 13 2006 - 05:33 AM

Weird.

Amazing that I didn't ponder this for another day so that I could be kicking myself from one end of my house to the other!

But, I've got my e-mail confirmation though so I guess I'm good to go.

Sorry if it didn't work out for you, Harold. Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#5 of 189 JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted March 13 2006 - 05:38 AM

Are the Polk monitor loudspeakers subject to wild discounts? Or is it only the 'R' series?

#6 of 189 Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted March 14 2006 - 01:38 AM

Just the R's so far. I believe they had the R30's at about $100 a pair once upon a time.

#7 of 189 John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,522 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted March 14 2006 - 04:26 AM

I don't have them, but a friend uses them as surrounds and I thought they were pretty decent little speakers. Definitely a steal at those prices Posted Image Fry's puts them on sale now and again, so I thought I would throw it out there when I saw it. The Rs are older, and I haven't seen the Monitors go on sale like that yet. If you keep an eye on the other models in the line, Fry's seems to put random models on big discount like that from time to time as well.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#8 of 189 Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,907 posts

Posted March 15 2006 - 04:43 AM

That was a sweet deal. I guess it is a matter of "you snooze, you lose."
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#9 of 189 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,769 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 16 2006 - 01:40 AM

Not only that...

but I ordered just before Midnight 3-13. They shipped 3-14. And they arrived at my home 3-15. Posted Image

And, that was with the cheapest shipping (ground). Came to another $13.xx

Terrific service.

#10 of 189 Nathan A

Nathan A

Second Unit

• 353 posts

Posted March 25 2006 - 01:03 AM

Dallas/Ft Worth area Fry's stores have these listed in today's ad for $39.98/pair (through Tuesday). Fry's prices are regional, though, so I wouldn't assume that the stores in other states have the same pricing.

#11 of 189 John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,522 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted March 27 2006 - 07:48 AM

Follow up - the R30s are now on sale on Outpost $40ea / $80/pr: http://shop4.outpost...product/3241451

#12 of 189 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,769 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 01 2006 - 04:08 PM

John: You are breaking my bank with these posts! Posted Image

I am thisclose to pulling the trigger on a pair of these R30s. The outpost.com page says this sale will be in effect until 4-4-2006.

While still figuring out the logistics of the floor-standing speakers in the living room, my wife has pretty much signed off on the deal! Posted Image

I wonder if there's any chance they'll drop the price any further just before the sale ends...like they did with the R15s...

#13 of 189 BrentJ

BrentJ

Second Unit

• 329 posts

Posted April 02 2006 - 02:28 PM

Just curious how good these speakers are (R30's)? Are they good with movies and music or what? Thanks

#14 of 189 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,769 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 02 2006 - 03:17 PM

Brent: Here are some reviews I've found poking around the 'net:

Customers @ PolkAudio.com

AudioReview.com

@ Amazon.com

There are also a few discussions which can be found in various threads in the HTF's own Speakers/Subwoofers forum.

#15 of 189 John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,522 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted April 03 2006 - 04:17 AM

My buddy who has the R15s uses these guys for mains and they are pretty decent. A tad on the bright side, but for the price, I don't think you'll find anything better. Good with movies, OK with music (not going to be a music fan's dream).

#16 of 189 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,769 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 03 2006 - 12:29 PM

Well, John, You did it. I hope you're happy.

I pulled the trigger! Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 of 189 Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted April 03 2006 - 12:46 PM

Excellent choice. Posted Image

#18 of 189 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,769 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 03 2006 - 02:48 PM

Reginald: Thanks for the support.

Even with people of such diverse means here at the HTF, I make no bones about saying this is not a purchase I take lightly. I've been using sub-par speakers ever since I got into the hobby (Jensens). I put the R15s I just purchased into use as my R & L fronts. They will now go to the rears. Maybe someday I'll even replace the Jenson center speaker...but of all the parts, it is the one that has impressed me the most...so, we'll see.

The R15s impressed me enough that internet reviews by customers who said they owned the R15s and liked the R30s even better pushed me over the top. An understanding wife went a long way, too.

If you would care to elaborate on your comment any further...it, too, would go a long way for me. Thanks!

I realized that these deals were as far as I was going to be able to go for awhile. And, why keep making such an investment into the software...when this next level of upgrade was so affordable for me? I'm guessing these Polk towers will be a big improvement over my current setup.

#19 of 189 Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,931 posts

Posted April 04 2006 - 01:27 AM

Too bad it won't last till May, I can try to justify getting the speakers for my wife's set up in the den, but she'll probably say everything is fine the way it is. I would add a cheap sub to it and utilize those Radio Shack metal speakers for surround and I can watch some movies with reasonably good sound. Hard sell though.
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#20 of 189 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,506 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted April 04 2006 - 11:47 AM

From Amazon.com...

Reviewer: James L. Strong "max4urmoney" (outside Tampa Florida United States) - See all my reviews

I replaced 2 Sansui (huge, heavy, 15 inch woofers) with these and I must admit, I was blown away with their performance. Not only do they look good, they sound WONDERFUL!!! I am particular about sound, being a musician and these are about as good as it gets, other than Bose, but then not all of us can afford such luxuries (about 5X the price of these)and alot of their price is their name.
I thought Bose sucked? So these are worse than Bose?
Posted Image
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.