What's new

Panasonic CT-36HX41 and calibration? (1 Viewer)

SamE

Auditioning
I have had the CT-36HX41 for three weeks now. For DVD I am using a Pioneer DV-37. I would like to know if anyone has calibrated the TV with Avia or V.E. disk. I have not been able to get a Avia disk yet, however I did go into the service menu just to see what settings can be adjusted. If anyone has calibrated a HX41 set, can you please post what color settings you are now using in the service menu and in the normal 'on screen display' menu.
I did own the HX40 for a week back in March, but returned it because of the red push and geometry problems, plus the fact that the HX41 was soon to be out. This HX41 seams not to have as many problems, bowever there is still a slight red push and some geometry issues.
Thanks,
Sam E

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
Please be very careful if you are in the service menues. the settings which are correct on someone else's set may not be quite right for your particular unit as they some variability which is tuned out by using differing settings for each unit.
The main rules of working inside a service menu is
1. Don't do it unless you realize it may void the warranty and you are undertaking adjustments at your sole risk.
2. Copy down the current setting of all controls BEFORE making any adjustments.
3. Remember that rule #2 included the word "ALL" and doesn't mean you should copy down only the control settings you plan to modify. You should assume that your finger will slip and you will accidentally alter the wrong control somewhere along the line. Copying them all down is the only hope you have for properly restoring things to factory settings.
4. Change setting on only the controls which have already been mapped out by others. Changing unidentified controls could render your set completely and possibly irreversibly inoperable.
5. Go back to rule # 2 and make sure you follow it.
6. Make adjustments against a known test signal which is designed to make the changes you are performing easier to quantify or examine. Norrmal, video material is unsuitable for serious calibration work.
7. Report back useful findings and disasters so that others may benefit.
8. Teach someone rule #2 now that you've found out the hard way that ignoring rule # 2 is a bad idea.
------------------
Guy Kuo
Link Removed
Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

DougP

Agent
Sam - Guy's right, you can't really just take what someone else has used. I tried that and it didn't help.
I own a CT36HX41 myself and went through the exact same thing. I have been scouring the boards for more information as I have been disappointed with the red push and picture quality. But - I ordered Avia, got the panasonic service manual and have made one "pass" at calibration and I can say the picture is greatly improved.
I can't give you the numbers I used 'cause I don't know them but I can tell you doing the footwork has been worth it - BUT it's quite a bit of work and you have to be willing to tinker and tinker and learn. That last point I'm certain many people will not think worth it - and hire someone to do it or send the TV back...

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Doug, how many other adjustments have you made to the TV besides the basic tint, picture, brightness etc?
1. Don't do it unless you realize it may void the warranty and you are undertaking adjustments at your sole risk. Guy, what the heck can you do in the service menu that can void a warranty?

SamE

Auditioning
These are my settings:
Color: 39
Tint: 31
Brightness: 36
Picture: 25
Sharpness: 40
Color Temp: Warm
Natural Color: Off
Video NR: Off
3D Y/C Filter: On
A setting of "31" is right in the middle (50%) between 0 and 60. If I raise 'color' more than 39, it becomes too red. 'Tint' I left the setting in the middle at 31. If 'brightness' is more than 36 the picture becomes washed-out. If 'picture' is more than 25, the white area becomes booming. 'Sharpness' had to be moved from 31 to 40 for the picture to look more clear. A value of over 40 makes the edges too sharp. I was using 'Color Temp: Neutral, and Color: 45', but the colors looked dull. I then changed it to "Color Temp: Warm and Color: 39". This helped make the colors look more normal. I keep 'Natural Color: Off' because when I turn it On, I don't see any changes in the picture. I also keep 'Video NR: Off" because if I turn it on the picture becomes softer and edges are less defined. Lastly has to do with the '3D Y/C Filter'. My cable box has a coax, S-Video, and RCA-Video Out. When I was using my (defective) Sony KV-36FS12 TV, I used the S-Video from the cable box. I originally did the same thing with the HX41. But at the same time I was also switching between all 3 inputs to see if there was any difference. It turn out that the best picture on the HX41 is with using the RCA-Video input. When using the RCA-Video input it uses the TVs 3D Y/C filter which dramatically makes the image look clearer and more stable. When using the S-Video input, it uses the filter in the cable box and bypasses the on in the TV. So that image is actually worse. For this reason I decided to use the RCA-Video input with the '3D Y/C Filter: On".
The only adjustment I made in the service menu had to go with geometry. I had a DVD with THX video test and saw that the straight lines at the far left and right were ending out at the edge. I fixed this by adjusting the Pincushion and Trapezoid setting. I did not make any color adjustments in there.
-Sam E

Users who are viewing this thread