Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

In the market for a new receiver.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 BrianNorman

BrianNorman

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted March 09 2006 - 05:09 PM

I was just looking for some input on which receiver i should buy. I have about 1100 to spend. I am looking to hook up my TIVO (reg), Dvd player either hdmi or component, and xbox 360 with component. I am going to run component and hdmi to my projector. For sound i am still going to run 5.1 until i move into a bigger place.

I was also wondering if the s-video out that the tivo has is going to look better when i run it through component or hdmi (up-converted) right now it is very hard to see during the day since it is 480i where as my dvd player still looks good during the day.

If there is anything else you might need to know just let me know.

thanks for the input

#2 of 6 Yong Chan

Yong Chan

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted March 09 2006 - 06:58 PM

Take a look at the Denon 3806 and the Pioneer Elite VSX72 or 74.
There are quite a few threads with similar needs. Do a quick search.

YC

#3 of 6 brac

brac

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted March 10 2006 - 01:25 PM

You may want to look at sherwood newcastle or outlaw audio also..

#4 of 6 mylan

mylan

Screenwriter

• 1,683 posts

Posted March 11 2006 - 03:01 AM

Brain, hooking up your TIVO through S-video may be an improvement but not to the extent you are wanting. It seems to me you need to find a way to shade the screen during daytime viewing, how does it look at night?
I know enough to know I don't know enough!

#5 of 6 BrianNorman

BrianNorman

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted March 11 2006 - 03:19 PM

It looks ok at night. I just want direct tv to get off their butts and release the new system so i can upgrade. i just got the 3806 from my uncle. i love it so far. one thing i was wondering on it.... i thought it up converts to component and hdmi automatically to the minimum of 480p but the s-video signal from the tivo is still reading 480i and suggestions

#6 of 6 Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted March 12 2006 - 02:43 AM

Upconverted sources won't look any better but its a lot simpler to wire if you only have to run one line to your monitor.