Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Goblet of Fire lenticular cover (Harry Potter)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 OFFLINE   PatH

PatH

Second Unit

• 325 posts

Posted March 09 2006 - 01:56 AM

Target supposedly has this, but has anyone found it? What's it look like?

PatH

#2 of 24 OFFLINE   Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted March 09 2006 - 03:29 AM

It alternates between a close-up shot of Harry with scratched, bloodied face and a medium shot of Harry sprawled out in the dragon pit, wand lifted at arm's length toward a dragon in the background heading menacingly toward our hero.
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#3 of 24 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,239 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 09 2006 - 05:47 AM

http://forum.dvdtalk....8&postcount=35

http://forum.dvdtalk....2&postcount=64
facebook.com/whotony

#4 of 24 OFFLINE   David Allen

David Allen

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted March 09 2006 - 06:39 AM

Best Buy also has this.

#5 of 24 OFFLINE   Matthew Marino

Matthew Marino

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted March 09 2006 - 06:43 AM

Then why was it advertised as an exlusive for Target?

#6 of 24 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,239 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 09 2006 - 06:45 AM

david were did you get that from?

did you see it there?
facebook.com/whotony

#7 of 24 OFFLINE   Vader

Vader

Supporting Actor

• 796 posts

Posted March 09 2006 - 06:50 AM

I got my copy at Best Buy opening day, and did not see any of the lenticular covers. There were, however, a boatload of the standard covers (sp ed 2 disc, single disc, WS and edited).
Peace... Derek

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them.

Louvre attendant: Sacre bleu! ze frame on ze Mona Lisa broke and ze only one left iz too small. Andre, bring me ze scissors!

#8 of 24 OFFLINE   Aaron Gould

Aaron Gould

Stunt Coordinator

• 184 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario, Canada

Posted March 09 2006 - 07:10 AM

For us Canadians, Future Shop has (had?) them. I picked one up at about 5PM EST on Tuesday.

#9 of 24 OFFLINE   MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

• 597 posts

Posted March 09 2006 - 08:43 AM

From what I've heard, the lenticular covers went really fast. There might not be any more at this point. My wife went early Tuesday (between 10 & 11) and she said there were only a few left. Or mayby they only had a few to begin with. That's probably why you can't track one down.

#10 of 24 OFFLINE   Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted March 09 2006 - 10:23 AM

I got one from Futureshop too. Paid $30 CDN, so it is overpriced compared to competitors who don't have the neat cover. The regular 2 disc version is also $30, when it could be had at A&B Sound for $25 - a steal if you don't care about the cover.
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#11 of 24 OFFLINE   David Allen

David Allen

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted March 09 2006 - 11:32 AM

I got my copy on opening day around lunchtime, with the lenticular cover, at Best Buy in Burbank, CA. They had lots of them. I had a little chuckle (of pride) as a woman slipped the DVD case out of the lenticular cover to verify that it was the widescreen version. Thankfully, there is no 2-disc pan&scan of this DVD.

Target also had them (for two bucks more), but I didn't see any sort of "exclusive" label on them. Maybe they have a different version of it?

#12 of 24 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,166 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 09 2006 - 01:11 PM

Yeah. I'm surprised, too, about David's experience at BestBuy. Target is definitely advertising this as an exclusive.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#13 of 24 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted March 09 2006 - 02:02 PM

Quote:
The regular 2 disc version is also $30, when it could be had at A&B Sound for $25

If A&B Sound has a flyer with the price listed, you could always go back to Futureshop and pricematch it. That's what I did with my copy with the help of a local Best Buy flyer that had it for 2 bucks cheaper. All I did was show the receipt....didn't even bring the DVD with me.
Recently watched- Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D, The Grandmaster, Edge Of Tomorrow 3D, The Comedy Of Terrors, The Raven(1963), Mulholland Falls, Saturn 3, Cheers: Season 6, Nosferatu: The Vampyre, Battle Beyond The Stars, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers(1978), Ransom, Dragonheart, Tomb Of Ligeia

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Now I have a machinegun.  HO-HO-HO"

#14 of 24 OFFLINE   CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,367 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted March 09 2006 - 02:14 PM

As others mentioned, Future Shop and BB in Canada had it, and they are owned by Best Buy (U.S.), so you'd expect U.S. BB would have it...

#15 of 24 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,456 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted March 09 2006 - 02:20 PM

Quote:
I had a little chuckle (of pride) as a woman slipped the DVD case out of the lenticular cover to verify that it was the widescreen version. Thankfully, there is no 2-disc pan&scan of this DVD.

Well, if the lenticular cover is only on the cardboard slipcase, then that's disappointing. I was hoping it would be on the dvd case like the old Special edition of Halloween. Glad I didn't run all over looking for it and just settled on the regular foil slip case.

#16 of 24 OFFLINE   CameronMcC

CameronMcC

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted March 09 2006 - 05:34 PM

i bought two copies early tuesday morning, and even sold just the slipcover of one for ten bucks online

#17 of 24 OFFLINE   Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted March 10 2006 - 02:59 AM

Somehow, I don't think Futureshlop will pricematch the lenticular cover version with the non-special-cover version at A&B. At least, the lady at Futureshop mentioned that they are different (Damn!). Oh well, it's only 5 bucks - that's like 0.50 Euros right? Posted Image
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#18 of 24 OFFLINE   David M.

David M.

Agent

• 41 posts

Posted March 10 2006 - 03:41 AM

Future Shop wouldn't price match. I was paying at the cashier when another employee came up with the Best Buy flyer. The cashier said she tried to price match for another customer but the lenticular DVD has a different UPC from what I heard them say. My DVD has a UPC sticker over top the original UPC.

#19 of 24 OFFLINE   David Allen

David Allen

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted March 10 2006 - 01:28 PM

Oops!

I assumed that all the slipcovers for this 2-disc DVD had the lenticular face. My mistake...sorry for confusing you guys. I saw it (lenticular) at Target first, passed on the price, then bought it at Best Buy later that day, not even looking at the cover. I guess it must be a Target exclusive, but I honestly don't care- those things are really gimmicky anyway- they always end up in a box in the garage, or in the trash.

#20 of 24 OFFLINE   RoyWilbury

RoyWilbury

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted March 11 2006 - 09:27 AM

I picked it up at Target around Noon on release day, and they didn't appear to have a great deal of the lenticular cover left. The strange thing was that they had two displays for the movie: The display at the front of the store near the registers had all four versions (both single disc versions, and the 2-disc with and without the lenticular cover), while the display in the DVD section of the store did not have any lenticular covers.

As a bit of an aside, can somebody explain the marketing reasoning or any other reasoning behind the slip covers found on some DVD releases? I'm not talking about deluxe packaging or other things of that nature. More recently, I've noticed some DVD releases that feature a slip cover that has EXACTLY the same information and graphics found on the actual front and back cover of the DVD case. It seems completely superfluous. I've noticed this on some CD releases as well, particularly from Warner's various labels. I don't mind it at all, but it seems an unneeded additional cost for the manufacturing that may be passed on to the consumer. I've also noticed that some releases only feature this slip cover for a limited time. At Best Buy recently, I've seen the same movie with and without the slipcover. My best guess would be that this simply gives the studios a way to give the illusion that the DVD is more a "special edition" than it actually is.

Forum Nav Content I Follow