Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Curb Your Enthusiasm 5 (Final Season)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 of 37 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted March 08 2006 - 01:58 PM

It appears that season 5 was the final season, but where's the DVD? They CAN'T give us all four and not the last one!!!!

Even though this last one wasn't the greatest, how upsetting would this collection be without the last one?!!!

#2 of 37 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,336 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 08 2006 - 02:13 PM

It's listed in HBO flyers (in the price dropped Sopranos DVDs) as coming out this year. C'mon, HBO wouldn't leave money on the table and not release it. Posted Image

#3 of 37 OFFLINE   Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald

Screenwriter

• 2,641 posts

Posted March 09 2006 - 02:58 AM

The Finale aired less than a year ago. TravisR is right, no need to fret, it's on the way.

I thought there was also no final word on if this was the actual final episode or not.

#4 of 37 OFFLINE   Kipp Teague

Kipp Teague

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted March 09 2006 - 03:41 AM

Where has it been officially stated that season 5 of Curb is the final season??

I suggest that this thread be re-titled (remove the "final season" reference)

#5 of 37 OFFLINE   Eric_Bee

Eric_Bee

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted March 09 2006 - 04:07 AM

Quote:
Where has it been officially stated that season 5 of Curb is the final season??

It hasn't. Cheryl Hines was reported as saying in an interview that Season 5 might have been the final year, but I believe nothing more formal or definitive has emerged. If Larry said anything else, I'm sure someone will post it.

#6 of 37 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted July 02 2006 - 08:12 AM

Since I haven't seen a new thread on the release:
Curb Your Enthusiasm: Season 5 - August 1, 2006

#7 of 37 OFFLINE   Mick Tees

Mick Tees

Second Unit

• 257 posts

Posted July 02 2006 - 11:48 AM

I haven't heard anything either that Season 5 was the end of the series. HBO hasn't made that announcement yet.

Although I haven't heard anything on Season 6 yet either but that doesn't mean it's not going to happen. I think Larry David just turned 59 this weekend.

#8 of 37 OFFLINE   Mike*SC

Mike*SC

Second Unit

• 260 posts

Posted July 02 2006 - 02:09 PM

It is not the final season.

#9 of 37 OFFLINE   ScottLloyd

ScottLloyd

Stunt Coordinator

• 115 posts

Posted July 04 2006 - 08:07 AM

I saw Cheryl on a talk show and she said it wasn't decided but Larry had been writing a bunch of stuff so that was promising.

#10 of 37 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted July 04 2006 - 08:55 AM

As much as I'd love more CYE, this last season just felt so final to me. The last episode was just such a perfect ending to the series.

Actually, IMHO, season 5 wasn't the best, but if it ends up being the last season, it would be good in that respect. If the show were to continue on, then that final episode (of season 5) would be when the show jumped the shark.

#11 of 37 OFFLINE   ScottLloyd

ScottLloyd

Stunt Coordinator

• 115 posts

Posted July 04 2006 - 10:53 AM

I have not seen season five as I don't have HBO. But I will be buying the box set.

#12 of 37 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,293 posts

Posted July 04 2006 - 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHastings
As much as I'd love more CYE, this last season just felt so final to me. The last episode was just such a perfect ending to the series.

Actually, IMHO, season 5 wasn't the best, but if it ends up being the last season, it would be good in that respect. If the show were to continue on, then that final episode (of season 5) would be when the show jumped the shark.

Agreed. There comes a point where extending something just for the sake of extending it compromises quality. Case in point: the just concluded S6 of Sopranos.

CYE at it's best is hilarious, but some of the past season seemed forced. If Larry hasn't yet decided whether to come back then maybe his inner instinct is throwing up a red flag that he's having a hard time accepting.

He is a good talent so maybe he could come up with an occasional series for HBO using the improvisional format. It wouldn't have to be continuing characters, but a group of regulars could be employed (he would be wise to include Paul Dooley and Shelly Berman and lose Jeff Garlin and Wanda Sykes).
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#13 of 37 OFFLINE   Mike*SC

Mike*SC

Second Unit

• 260 posts

Posted July 04 2006 - 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHastings

Be that as it may, it was not the final season. There was a time when it might have been, but unless Larry David is run over by a bus, there will be more episodes. You'll see.

#14 of 37 OFFLINE   Justin Bauer

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted July 04 2006 - 04:27 PM

I heard that Larry David was not happy with the 5th season and I don't blame him. It was horrid.

I hope they have a 6th season to send the show off in the right way.
We're Texas.

#15 of 37 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted July 05 2006 - 04:02 AM

Quote:
I hope they have a 6th season to send the show off in the right way.
That would be the only redeeming factor. If there's a season 6, it better be fantastic!

#16 of 37 OFFLINE   Mick Tees

Mick Tees

Second Unit

• 257 posts

Posted July 05 2006 - 10:41 AM

I'm a big fan of Curb. I just pre-ordered Season 5 from Amazon ($25.96). I've been reading these posts and it sounds like this past season for many was nothing to write home about....

I've got all the other seasons on DVD. I really enjoyed how Season 4 ended!

#17 of 37 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,336 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 05 2006 - 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Tees
I've been reading these posts and it sounds like this past season for many was nothing to write home about....
Season Five is the weakest season but there's still some great episodes and hilarious moments.

#18 of 37 OFFLINE   MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted July 05 2006 - 01:33 PM

There's an article about Jeff Garlin on the NY Times website, that says at one point:
Quote:
He said he was hopeful that "Curb Your Enthusiasm" would return for another season. "Larry generally will write some outlines and send them to me," he said. "The process is I read the outlines and then I laugh. My notes are usually nonexistent because that's what Larry David does better than anybody."

A 30-minute sitcom script is between 35 and 45 pages, Garlin said. David's outlines are six or seven pages. Minutes before a scene is shot, the actors are told the situation their characters are in and what needs to happen. When the camera rolls, what they say is up to them. Since overthinking is the death of improv, it's a high-wire act by definition.

"At its core, improv is like writing onstage, or in front of the camera," Garlin said. "You have to be totally in the moment." A key component to high-quality improv is listening. "Your goal is to make the other improviser in the scene look better," he continued. "His goal is to make you look better. You have to be spontaneous, natural and unselfish, which is why so few people are really good at it. And it's not a matter of being willing. You're either funny or you're not.

"One of the reasons 'Curb' is good is we do first drafts," he continued. "There are no rewrite sessions. I can tell you from my own experience that the rewriting process is what destroys. That and network notes. Because you don't notice that your show is slowly being bastardized. That was my experience with 'The Jeff Garlin Program."'
So that's what Garlin thinks of the chance of a further season - he's "hopeful".
Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

#19 of 37 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,293 posts

Posted July 05 2006 - 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike*SC
Be that as it may, it was not the final season. There was a time when it might have been, but unless Larry David is run over by a bus, there will be more episodes. You'll see.

Hi Mike, Do you have inside info or is this speculation on your part?

Matt - thanks for the Garlin article. You would think that the co-stars would want to hear something soon because they would need to start committing to other projects if CYE doesn't come back.

Steve
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#20 of 37 OFFLINE   Seymour Uranowitz

Seymour Uranowitz

Stunt Coordinator

• 199 posts

Posted July 07 2006 - 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewLouwrens
There's an article about Jeff Garlin on the NY Times website... So that's what Garlin thinks of the chance of a further season - he's "hopeful".
There's also this passage, in the last paragraph of the article:
Quote:
Larry David says another season of "Curb" is "very likely"; production would resume in January.
I'm remaining cautiously pessimistic. Posted Image

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow