Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Adding a Phone Jack

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 4,967 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted March 07 2006 - 08:01 AM

Just how hard is it, for a kluzt like me? One thing in my favor, the spot on the inside wall is right very close to where the external phone box on the outside wall is.

What's involved in doing this? I want to do this so I can install vonage. With vonage, if I hook up there box to a phone jack then all the other phone jacks in the house have access to the vonage service.

That would be handy since I don't want to have my base wireless phone next to the computer and my directivo wants to make some calls too.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#2 of 10 Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor

• 534 posts

Posted March 07 2006 - 09:47 AM

Adding a phone jack
Spoiler tags are cool.

#3 of 10 BobbyPerry

BobbyPerry

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted March 08 2006 - 01:05 AM

You're trying to wire Vonage throughout your house? Be careful in doing so. You don't want to fry your adapater or your home line. I've been skeptical about doing this with my SuNRocket b/c I feel it works great without it. Let us know how it goes though if you get it to work.
Link deleted by moderator; DO NOT REPOST.

#4 of 10 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 4,967 posts

Posted March 08 2006 - 01:24 AM

A friend of mine (in another city) has just gotten vonage and told me that if you have phone jack next to your vonage box all you have to do is two things: 1) Unhook the input lines into your exterior phone hookup; and 2) Use a standard phone jack line and connect the vonnage box to the phone jack.

I just found this info on the vonnage site:
Quote:
Some of our customers have plugged the Phone Adapter directly into the existing telephone wiring in their homes. The manufacturer of the adapter does not recommend hooking anything to the adapter other than a telephone, but you can seek advice from an electrician or someone who is familiar with internal telephone wiring on how to best connect it to your current wiring to take advantage of multiple extensions. We would advise that you pre-check the wiring on the jacks to make sure you don't have live PSTN voltage on the jacks before connecting them to the Phone Adapter (this can be easily done by using a line tester). Be advised that any damage resulting from practices contrary to manufacturers recommendations for the Phone Adapter will not be covered by warranty.
So it seems that what I was proposing is not a vonnage approved practice.

Matt, thanks for the link about phone wiring.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#5 of 10 BobbyPerry

BobbyPerry

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted March 09 2006 - 01:13 AM

Are you still planing on trying the home wiring? I've found that simply having a couple cordless phones with SunRocket keeps me from really needing the full house wiring.
Link deleted by moderator; DO NOT REPOST.

#6 of 10 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 4,967 posts

Posted March 09 2006 - 01:26 AM

Quote:
Are you still planing on trying the home wiring? I've found that simply having a couple cordless phones with SunRocket keeps me from really needing the full house wiring.
I haven't decided yet. It turns out there's a possibility we might move. The reason I wanted all my jacks active is that we have a tivo that likes to make phone calls on a land line.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#7 of 10 Jeff Pug

Jeff Pug

Stunt Coordinator

• 108 posts

Posted March 09 2006 - 09:04 AM

" A friend of mine (in another city) has just gotten vonage and told me that if you have phone jack next to your vonage box all you have to do is two things: 1) Unhook the input lines into your exterior phone hookup; and 2) Use a standard phone jack line and connect the vonnage box to the phone jack."

this is exactly what I did with my sunrocket. works great.

there is a connector in your phone box. I pulled it out and then i tied the wiring that goes into the house together and all my jacks work.
"the jury is still out on ...science" GOB Bluth

#8 of 10 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 4,967 posts

Posted March 09 2006 - 12:51 PM

Quote:
there is a connector in your phone box. I pulled it out and then i tied the wiring that goes into the house together and all my jacks work.
This is confusing me a little. I'm under the impression that all you have to do is disconnect the input connector (input from the phone company), than hook the vonage (or sunrocket) box up to an existing phone jack and all the jacks in the house are no live on vonage.

What do you mean by tieing the wiring together?
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#9 of 10 Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter

• 1,325 posts

Posted March 10 2006 - 12:27 AM

I'm on SunRocket and I found instructions on how to do this on the Vonage help site. I disconnected the 2 wires attached to the "consumer side" of the phone box. These were the only 2 wires present there. I wrapped them separately with electrical tape. I then plugged in my Gizmo into a phone wall jack and everything works great now. My Dish 942 was slow to catch on but it did after a few hours. All my Dish receivers r displaying Caller ID so I knew things were like they used to be. I use my existing 3 handset phone system as well as the free Uniden SR sent me. Only thing I haven't tried is the fax machine.

#10 of 10 Jeff Pug

Jeff Pug

Stunt Coordinator

• 108 posts

Posted March 10 2006 - 11:39 AM

what eric said that is what I meant
"the jury is still out on ...science" GOB Bluth

Forum Nav Content I Follow