Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Ever fallen in love with a place?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
67 replies to this topic

#61 of 68 OFFLINE   Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor

• 975 posts

Posted March 14 2006 - 02:38 AM

While I pretty much love anywhere on the Vancouver Island I'd have to say Goldstream provincal park is my "piece of heaven / spread my ashes there" type of place on earth. If you like camping I HIGHLY recomend checking it out.

Goldstream Provincial Park

Dean

#62 of 68 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted March 14 2006 - 04:33 AM

Quote:
I can agree with that. It's the only place where I have literally seen multiple people get struck by moving vehicles, flip the driver of said vehicle of while still glued to the hood, pull themselves off and continue on their way like nothing had happened.

I had a conversation about this with a New York friend who was amazed by the "stiff arm towards traffic, jaywalk against the light, don't wait for a 'Walk' signal" Boston street crossing technique. He said the only reason we did it this way in Boston is because in New York the drivers would just hit you. I told him Boston drivers will hit you too; we just aren't that concerned about it.Posted Image

#63 of 68 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted March 14 2006 - 05:17 AM

Quote:
I told him Boston drivers will hit you too; we just aren't that concerned about it.Posted Image
Things must have changed since I lived there (which, admittedly, was a while back). Drivers stopped for me no matter when or where I crossed -- but only as I long as I didn't hesitate. Show any fear, and they'd mow you down.

When I first moved to NYC, my wife-to-be would routinely reach out and pull me back at street crossings. "You can't do that here!" she'd said. "This isn't Boston!!" Posted Image

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#64 of 68 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted March 14 2006 - 05:27 AM

Quote:
Things must have changed since I lived there (which, admittedly, was a while back). Drivers stopped for me no matter when or where I crossed -- but only as I long as I didn't hesitate. Show any fear, and they'd mow you down.

Naw, they'd always hit you. It's just that the traffic moves so slow you can usually do the "hip flex around the fender" or "shoe on the bumper and land on the hood" with relatively little danger. I've seen enough people get hit (and then flip the bird, just like Adam said) to know they'll definitely hit you if they get the chance. Posted Image

#65 of 68 OFFLINE   DonRoeber

DonRoeber

Screenwriter

• 1,851 posts

Posted March 14 2006 - 06:04 AM

Drive? Boston? You're insane if you don't use the T as much as possible.
Luckily, right at that moment, an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof.

He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.

#66 of 68 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted March 14 2006 - 06:51 AM

Quote:

I'll be driving in there tonight. My niece is appearing with the Tchaikovsky Perm Ballet Company in their presentation of Sleeping Beauty. No problem if you are well schooled in combat driving techniques. Posted Image

#67 of 68 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,486 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 17 2006 - 09:25 AM

Quote:
Except for the D line on Red Sox nights. Too many people that get tanked before the game to ride safely. I remember my first week here I got puked on by a lightweight 20-something.

That said, I leave my car in Albany for that very reason. It's just easier to walk or take the T than to drive here. With rare exceptions (when I want to go to Walmart, mainly) I don't really miss having it. One of the big struggles I'm having now is finding a place to live next year on a T line. I got priced out of my current place. (Damn you, housing bubble!)

#68 of 68 OFFLINE   MikeH1

MikeH1

Screenwriter

• 1,498 posts

Posted March 20 2006 - 06:17 AM

Its a 35 km hike into Mt. Assiniboine but this is my favorite place in the world.

Posted Image

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow