Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Ever fallen in love with a place?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
67 replies to this topic

#21 of 68 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,657 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted March 07 2006 - 11:27 AM

There are some places in Wrangell St Elias that I've fallen in love with, however, I don't think the NPS would allow me to live there...

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#22 of 68 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,935 posts

Posted March 07 2006 - 12:50 PM

Quote:
Yellowstone National Park. If I had the time, I would visit every year.

Scott, If you love Yellowstone. Try to visit Yosemite in California. When I was in HS we went on a camping trip there for a week. Simply amazing.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#23 of 68 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted March 07 2006 - 01:12 PM

I agree with Yosemite, it's fantastic.

#24 of 68 OFFLINE   Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted March 07 2006 - 01:35 PM

I would say Vancouver, B.C..

Just a great beautiful city. Highly recommended.

#25 of 68 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 07 2006 - 01:47 PM

Quote:
I think my love for NYC is irrational...

Real love always is. Posted Image Merely rational love does not produce great cities. If I like a place and can tell you all the reasons I like it, I might stop liking if some of the reasons change. But if I love a place simply for being itself I'll still love it even if everything seems to change. I haven't lived in New York in nearly 20 years and haven't even visited in more than four, but it is still home to me.

Another place I love is Annapolis. I lived there for a couple of years in the 70s and thought it was one of the prettiest little towns I'd ever seen, set in beautiful countryside and close enough to D.C. and Baltimore to satisfy my periodic need for way too many people and the smell of ooncrete and bus exhaust.

Regards,

Joe

#26 of 68 OFFLINE   Michael Warner

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor

• 742 posts

Posted March 07 2006 - 02:02 PM

Quote:
I've barely spent any time in the Pacific Northwest, but it's exerting a very strong pull on this Metro Detroit homebody.

Been in Seattle just over two months now and the only things I miss from Detroit are the coneys and competent drivers.

The place that really grabbed me was New Orleans. I first visited while researching colleges and wound up going to Tulane until the funds ran dry. That was a magical city and it breaks my heart that it'll never again be the same as I remember it.
Xbox Live: mugwumps

#27 of 68 OFFLINE   JeremySt

JeremySt

Screenwriter

• 1,775 posts

Posted March 07 2006 - 02:54 PM

Another cliche, but my hometown, Bozeman, is my favorite. I have lived in Southwest Montana my whole life. I know I miss out on many things on a daily basis, but thats why I make a point to travel as much as I can and see other places. But I alway LOVE to come home. Mountains, open land, outdoor activities. I cant be without it for too long.

Yellowstone National Park. If I had the time, I would visit every year.

I live 1 hour from Yellowstone. I agree, its amazing. Maybe you alrady have, but nearby Jackson, Bozeman, and Paradise Valley are worth visiting. If your interestes include the outdoors, there are many things around Yellowstone worth seeing. The Absorkee Beartooth mountains north of Yellowstone are absolutly incredible.

We took a 5 day camping trip a couple years ago. Here we are at an elevation of 9,600 feet, 8 hours from the nearest town.
Posted Image

#28 of 68 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,657 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted March 07 2006 - 03:17 PM

Quote:
Another place I love is Annapolis.
Spent a little time there myself (during that same lonely period) and would definitely like to go back to see more. Related to that, Jonatha Brooke's song "West Point" is actually a case of mistaken identity. She was actually thinking of the Naval Academy when she wrote the song. Posted Image
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#29 of 68 OFFLINE   Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard

Screenwriter

• 2,314 posts

Posted March 07 2006 - 03:25 PM

Quote:
To second (sort of) mark, my own time in the Navy allowed me to spend some quality time at three in the morning out on the open ocean on the bridge of a sub (the flying bridge - the tiny patch of metal about 20 feet off of the surface of the ocean). Before you get the lights rigged and ready to go (and the lookout ambles up), it's just you, the black starlit sky and hundreds of miles of ocean in any direction. It's truly an amazing sensation.
I used to love this, too. I used to sit up there in complete silence with the OOD (I was an RO) just enjoying the night air. It was a sort of solitude that you just can't find anywhere.
I love to singa, about the moon-a, and the june-a, and the springa...
-Owl Jolson

#30 of 68 OFFLINE   Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted March 07 2006 - 04:01 PM

From a military family so we moved around a ton, to both coasts and in between. DC area is ok though I still feel I haven't found "home" yet.

*Cue emo music

If I had enough balls I'd do what Ethan Hawke did in Before Sunrise and tour Europe solo. Posted Image

#31 of 68 OFFLINE   Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor

• 519 posts

Posted March 08 2006 - 12:41 AM

Quote:
The place that really grabbed me was New Orleans

x2

#32 of 68 OFFLINE   Hugh Jackes

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor

• 759 posts
  • LocationAnaheim. CA

Posted March 08 2006 - 01:29 AM

If you go to Yosemite and then hike up the MIst Trail, past Vernal Falls and Nevada Falls. Atop the second set of falls, and before the trail forks off to the top of Half Dome, there is about 3 miles of hiking through a little glen called Little Yosemite Valley. Stunning.

Santa Catalina Island, off the southern California coast.
I have learned that some pain cannot be healed, but must be endured. I believe our Higher Power will help us to endure and find peace. I loved the boy with the utmost love of which my soul is capable and he is taken from me-yet in the agony of my spirit in surrendering such a treasure, I feel a thousand times richer than if I had never possessed it."
-- William Wordsworth 1812

#33 of 68 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,665 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 08 2006 - 01:30 AM

Quote:
I'm taking the family there this Summer. It will be our first time there. Any suggestions?

Stay in the park if at all possible. That means making reservations well in advance. We prefer the Canyon area, since it's centrally located in the park. If you stay outside the park (West Yellowstone or Gardiner, most likely), you will spend more time just driving to get in the park -- Yellowstone is a very big place.

If you like to hike and are in reasonanbly good shape, take a morning hike to the top of Mount Washburn. It's a 6 mile round trip, with around a 2,000 foot elevation change. It's a very easy trail, though, since it used to be a gravel road for motor vehicles. The view from the observation deck at the peak is incredible. You can not only see the entire park, but also the Grand Tetons to the south.

The area between Canyon and Norris are great places to see elk up close. I have some amazing photos of bull elk with huge racks. Check out www.nps.gov for current information on the locations of the wolf packs, or ask a park ranger at one of the visitor centers. You'll see lots of elk and bison, but moose, wolves and bears are a more rare sight. We've seen one wolf, several black bears and one grizzly bear (with cub) on our various visits. Moose sightings were very common during my first trip in the '70's, but the forest fires of '88 (or was it '89?) damaged a lot of their feeding habitat, and the moose have migrated to other areas, such as the Tetons (at least, that's what a park ranger told me). We saw only one bull moose on our last trip a couple of years ago.

Get to the main attraction areas (such as the different geyser basins) early. In the summer, they will get crowded later in the day. Also, check the schedule at the Old Faithful area to see when Grand Geyser is estimated to erupt. If I remember correctly, it goes off about every 20 hours or so, and is spectacular and worth timing your visit to see.

Quote:
Maybe you alrady have, but nearby Jackson, Bozeman, and Paradise Valley are worth visiting.

Jeremy, on each of my three trips to Yellowstone, I've also made trips down to the Tetons and Jackson Hole. While the area is beautiful, we enjoy Yellowstone much more. BTW, we flew into Bozeman the last two times we visited. I love the airport, and it seems to be the easiest fly/drive option for getting to the park. Driving from Michigan is a long, tedious journey. Posted Image

BTW, Yosemite is still on our "to visit" list. My wife and I love the national parks, but we have not made it there yet. This summer's plan is to visit Banff and Jasper in the Canadian Rockies.

#34 of 68 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted March 08 2006 - 01:35 AM

I love many places—but the one that is irrational is Caracas.

My wife feels the same way about Jakarta (a city I don’t much like).
¡Time is not my master!

#35 of 68 OFFLINE   Jed M

Jed M

Screenwriter

• 2,030 posts

Posted March 08 2006 - 03:57 AM

What? No Mall of America? Posted Image

My two favorite places on earth are San Francisco and Stockholm, Sweden.
Long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be.
-R. Waters

#36 of 68 OFFLINE   Mort Corey

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts

Posted March 08 2006 - 04:10 AM

Santa Fe, New Mexico. The light is quite different.....plus no earthquakes Posted Image

Mort

#37 of 68 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 08 2006 - 04:22 AM

Quote:
As for NYC, been there several times. Hoping I never have to go again.

Why do people feel the need to throw in gratuitous insults in a thread like this? We're celebrating places we love. No reason to go out of our way to spit on places other people love. (I note that the people most apt to do this sort of thing are also the ones who endlessly complain about New Yorkers having "bad manners." Pot, meet kettle. Kettle, meet pot.)

Malcolm, I'm glad you're happy in Vermont and that you're fond of the Pacific Northwest. And I, too, hope you never have to visit New York again, because you'd clearly make the city just that tiny bit less fun. Posted Image

Regards,

Joe

#38 of 68 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted March 08 2006 - 04:37 AM

Quote:
I note that the people most apt to do this sort of thing are also the ones who endlessly complain about New Yorkers having "bad manners.

I've always wondered about observations about "rude" New Yorkers. To us Bostonians, New Yorkers are downright civil (excluding Yankee fans of course. Then again most of the Yankee fans we see are from Connecticut).Posted Image

#39 of 68 OFFLINE   DavidBL

DavidBL

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted March 08 2006 - 04:38 AM

Havasupai, Arizona. Google it (or Google Image it). You have to hike 10 miles to get there, but it's unbelievable, a blue mineral spring/river/waterfall system that flows north into the Grand Canyon. It's on Havasu Indian land and you have to make reservations months in advance to secure a camping spot. Isolation and beauty that's hard to find anymore.

#40 of 68 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted March 08 2006 - 07:05 AM

Quote:
I've always wondered about observations about "rude" New Yorkers. To us Bostonians, New Yorkers are downright civil (excluding Yankee fans of course. Then again most of the Yankee fans we see are from Connecticut)
LOL - I don't find New Yorkers rude either.

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow