What's new

2006 NFL Offseason Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
With Free Agency days away from starting, with or without a new Collective Bargoning agreement, its time for an offseason discussion thread.

Talk Free Agency, the draft, the giant potato-chip some in Kansas City seem to want...

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Alexander resigned with the Seahawks, so the #1 FA is off the market. Arrington gave up $4M as a bonus in DC to be a free agent. He should do pretty well in the market. No news on the #2 FA, Edge.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I heard a rumor yesterday that the Vi-Queens are interested in Drew Brees. I still think he ends up in Miami, but it is interesting that these Minnesota QB rumors will not go away. It makes you wonder if Culpepper will ever be the same after his knee injury -- the Vikings seem very concerned via their rumored actions.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Courtney Brown signed a new contract with the Broncos.

What I have learned is that Culpepper needed Moss and Moss needed Culpepper.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I am waiting on pins and needles for some type of info about the cba. It seemed like over the weekend the information was coming every ten minutes, but today has been quiet even though the owners are meeting to make the "final" decision.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Apparently, Mr. Mexico found an excellent lawyer for his brother. Gun charges are gone. Just needs to stay out of trouble for 12 mo. :)

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
If I were a Viking fan I would be so pissed off at the new owner right now. That city had possibly the greatest WR/QB combo in the history of the game and he completely pissed it away. Say what you will about Moss and Culpepper's attitude, but the Viking's owner seems like a bigger ass them both of them combined.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Actually I am pretty sure it was Red that traded Moss away right before the sale went through. It cleared something like 60 million from his books while the asking price stayed the same, but I could be wrong, it has happened once before. ;)

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, you are right Brandon, I forgot about that. Looks like its my turn to be wrong, again...

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Very true. Thanks for the reminder.

I read that Tagliabue gave a powerful speech to the owners today. Basically he told them that he and Upshaw wouldn't be around much longer and if they lose the cap now it may never come back. He also reminded the new owners who weren't around for the labor problems in the 70's and 80's what they could be facing if they turn down the proposal. Hopefully that will knock some sense into the dozen or so owners who are so greedy and near sighted that they truly can't see the forest through the trees.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...ohn&id=2358857

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
PFT is saying that a deal is done.

And Jed is allowed to be wrong at least 1 more time this year, when he makes his yearly Lions prediction.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Deal is done, reportedly 6 years, with a new revenue sharing plan.

Reportedly the Bills and Bengals abstained during voting but nobody voted no.

The Golden Goose got pardoned.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Sanity prevailed with the owners. It sounds like Tagliabue really took control of the situation. Just another reason why the NFL is so far ahead of MLB -- they have a real commissioner who (1) has a brain, (2) has a sense for what is best for the league, and (3) has enough influence with both the owners and players union to get things done.

Now we can get back to talking about free agent signings.

BTW, I heard a rumor that the Eagles were considering signing Jeff Garcia and cutting Mike McMahon. That would make three Lions rejects to be signed by Philly in the past two offseasons -- McMahon, Garcia and Mornhinweg. If the Eagles think the way to build a championship team is to take on rejects from the two areas where the Lions have always been most inept (QB and coaching), they're nuts. :)

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Casey Trowbridg, you wrote:

Thank the right sentient upstairs! :D I think they settled this because this was within a hair's breadth of turning into a PR fiasco for everyone involved.

Now we can get back to arguing about NCAA Division 1A basketball tournament brackets and the future of Barry Bonds. ;)

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
True, but I am getting closer. Two years ago I picked them to make the playoffs and they weren't even close. Last year I picked them to have the first pick in the draft, which was much closer to reality than my previous playoff pick. I think I will nail it this year. I think I may have figured it out. Two years ago my pick was serious, last year I purposely went against what I believed and tried to throw out the reverse jinx. So I am starting to see that no matter what I think the Lions will do, they will do the exact opposite. Now I know what its like to be a Lion's fan. :D

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Got that right Scott. Although, like every year at this time, I am feeling more positive about the team. However I still feel they need to address the offensive line, and get another qb. I also wouldn't mind a nice defensive end, safety and extra linebacker help, but I don't want to sound to greedy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks