What's new

Got Theater,,,Need Movie !! (1 Viewer)

bobNo

Auditioning
I am nearing completion on my first Home Theatre. I will list my setup later. I was curious if you had just built your dream system, what DVD would the first one you would try out, based on sound, image, effects, you name it? Thanks for your input.

My setup: Marantz VP 12S4 Projecter, Marantz SR9600 receiver, Sony DVP 995 V 400 Disc DVD, Focal Chorus 716 S, CC700S, SW700s (x2) Jamo SU631K4 Surround, TruAudio revolve Surround.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Start with RYAN'S DAUGHTER, the best-looking DVD ever made.

Or maybe not.
Maybe RYAN'S DAUGHTER will spoil you forever.
Maybe RYAN'S DAUGHTER isn't fair to other DVD's.
... because no other DVD you watch will look as good.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
It just came out & it looks really good. Lady and the Tramp :cool:

Juan C

Second Unit
Every time I upgrade a piece of equipment in my installation, I play the same movie:

Memento LE. Great photography in real Scope, excellent picture quality, mixture of colour and B&W. And one of my favourite movies.

It has become some kind of a statement. :)

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Whenever I add something new to my HT I play the same movie - JAWS. Not because it's a pristine transfer or anything, but because I know this movie almost frame by frame, I've seen it so many times, and would be able to tell if the upgrade had been worth it!:D

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
JARHEAD and HARRY POTTER & THE GOBLET OF FIRE both were released today. They would be good.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Here's a few...

Jurassic Park (DTS)

The Haunting (DTS ES) That one will rattle the fillings out of your freakin' teeth!

Saving Private Ryan (DTS)

Titanic (DTS ES)

Twister (DTS) Hang onto your hat!

The Perfect Storm

And finally, my new demo disc, Walk the Line (DTS) The concert scenes will get your toes tapping for sure, but you must CRANK IT UP!! :emoji_thumbsup:

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Get some Superbits in there, Charlie's Angels, Fifth Element are visually great, for sound SPR DTS, and for my personal pleasure, the Matrix.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

a marketing gimmick by Sony (ba-dump-BUMP!) :)

was demoing pjs the other day at a local HT store, and they were playing 5th Element. later that night i pulled it out to watch on my system to compare impressions, and ended up engrossed in the movie start to finish. While it is such a cliched choice for demoing off HT equipment, i forget that it is also a genuinely very entertaining film.

the same is true of Gladiator. Both discs seem to make any system look and sound like a million bucks.

Jordan_E, I'm the same way. Jaws is my usual reference disc too. not just because i know it by heart, but because its one movie, like the first Superman, that simply has to look good on the system. Doesn't matter if everything else looks great- if the new equipment doesn't make these two look and sound great, i'll be too disappointed to enjoy much of anything else.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
And how is that a valid reason someone else should use it as the first movie they play in their new HT?

Sarcasm aside, I recommend Master and Commander. I still think the opening 20 minutes has some of the best audio and visuals I have ever seen. The movie itself kind of fades a bit, but that first segment is killer.

dailW

Stunt Coordinator
okay not to make people upset but they dont know what they are talking about. you need to watch the greatest film ever made. RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. i bought a 44 inch wide-screen last year , and i've watched that flick 3 times and get teary eyed every time that desert chase comes on and how beautiful that movie looks.check it out.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I got a new TV last week. I first watched Chicken Run to be sure that everything was setup correctly, then I used the Avia disc to calibrate my color. Then I watched Amelie, to verify that the color looked good. Later that night we watched the Rohirrim charge in Return of the King. This weekend we watched Ultimate Avengers and Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire.

It was fun :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks