Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

New Apocalypse Now DVD set this year?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
321 replies to this topic

#21 of 322 Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted April 07 2006 - 10:26 AM

This is terrific news! The Complete Dossier... this is on my most-anticipated list for sure.

#22 of 322 Anthony Neilson

Anthony Neilson

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted April 07 2006 - 10:34 PM

Looks like they're doing the same for DRACULA. Posted Image

From videostoremag.com :

Last year, Aubry took the DVD-production arm of Coppola’s American Zoetrope and turned it into the pure-play DVD production company ZAP Zoetrope Aubry Productions. There he works on film and soundtrack restoration, artistic design and bonus content productions.

For the past 15 months, Aubry and his team have been working on the upcoming special edition DVD release — Apocalypse Now: The Complete Dossier, a sort of “kitchen sink” version of an Apocalypse Now DVD.

It will include both the original and Redux versions of the film, as well as a wealth of new documentaries that dive deep into the editing, the sound, the music and other aspects of the film’s production.

Aubry is filming some of the bonus features in high-def, for this and for another project, Bram Stoker’s Dracula, which will also include a special “art student” viewing option.

“Whenever moments in the film appear that have interesting references to art, a button will appear,” he said. “They can select it, and the film will stop, and they’ll see the storyboard or the painting the setting is based on.”
I've been going to bed early . . .

#23 of 322 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted April 08 2006 - 01:02 AM

superb news indeed.

I hope they will lso include Hearts of Darkness for completion
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#24 of 322 Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor

• 995 posts

Posted April 08 2006 - 01:04 AM

Great! This will be my third Apoc Now DVD! Posted Image Posted Image

#25 of 322 Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted April 08 2006 - 01:27 AM

As much as I adore APOCALYPSE NOW (more so than DRACULA), I'm actually more excited about the DRACULA news, since I've been waiting over 8 years for a version of that film on DVD that at least approaches the Criterion LD release.
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#26 of 322 Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted April 08 2006 - 07:47 AM

All of this news is fantastic! I can't wait to see the results of Aubry's hard work.

#27 of 322 Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted April 08 2006 - 04:17 PM

And Bram Stoker's Dracula? This is way too cool. Maybe we'll get an unrated/extended version. I heard Coppola wasn't happy with the theatrical cut. But a remaster with features alone is outstanding!

#28 of 322 Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted April 09 2006 - 02:46 AM

I've read somewhere that the original Dracula screenings had considerably more gore.

Posted Image

#29 of 322 Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,696 posts

Posted April 09 2006 - 06:50 AM

I once had a rough cut of DRACULA and it did have some more gore in a few scenes- most notably,
the blood flowing in the prologue was a lot longer,
and there were a couple shots here and there that I recall throughout the film. One shot that I recall reading that the MPAA insisted be removed wasn't even a gore shot, but
a shot of Dracula's brides grabbing the baby he brings to them and rushing it over to a corner of the room and then ravaging it like hungry animals. You didn't SEE anything though (some of this is in the final film, but the grabbing of the baby and rushing it to the corner are gone).

Oddly enough, said rough cut's ending was a lot LESS gory, as
Mina does not decapitate Dracula.
There was also a bit of a coda following Dracula's death that got dropped. I'd love to see more of the deleted scenes, and if there exist additional "alternate" scenes like Dracula's death.

Vincent

#30 of 322 Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted April 09 2006 - 09:03 AM

As far as HEARTS OF DARKNESS goes, I read an interview that FFC was holding up a DVD release, unless the director would remove a couple parts that he found unflattering. The director refused, so it is only on VHS and laser.

So, if it is on there, it would be edited.

#31 of 322 Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted April 09 2006 - 09:30 AM

Quote:
I once had a rough cut of DRACULA and...

Thanks for sharing, Vincent... that's the most specific information I've heard yet about the uncut version. Presumably there are mountains of deleted scenes, considering there were something like 30-40 completely different cuts of the film prepared at different points, some around three hours long, and only one was ever released.

It's a shame. We've got recuts of almost every other Coppola film but this one... if he needs any encouragment, I'd be glad to offer it! Posted Image

#32 of 322 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted April 10 2006 - 11:34 PM

there is another re release of Patton on its way.

There is an introduction by FFC himself plus another commentary by him as well http://www.dvdtimes....contentid=60432

Could it be that FFC will be doing another audio commentary for AN as well ?

That would be awesome

#33 of 322 JayHM

JayHM

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted April 30 2006 - 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Martin
As far as HEARTS OF DARKNESS goes, I read an interview that FFC was holding up a DVD release, unless the director would remove a couple parts that he found unflattering. The director refused, so it is only on VHS and laser.

So, if it is on there, it would be edited.

I think Coppola should just record a commentary track for HoD. He said that certain scenes misrepresent him because the footage is shown out of context ("Martin Sheen's not dead till I say he's dead."). A commentary track would give him the perfect chance to put those scenes in perspective.

#34 of 322 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,806 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 30 2006 - 03:58 PM

So there's no date for this yet (the Apocalypse Now release)?

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#35 of 322 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted May 01 2006 - 10:50 AM

I'll second that

#36 of 322 MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted May 01 2006 - 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar_merkx
there is another re release of Patton on its way.

There is an introduction by FFC himself plus another commentary by him as well http://www.dvdtimes....contentid=60432

Could it be that FFC will be doing another audio commentary for AN as well ?

That would be awesome

Wow, awesome!

How did I miss that announcement??

#37 of 322 KieranO'C

KieranO'C

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted May 01 2006 - 11:48 PM

You can contact Zoetrope Aubry productions about OAR here:

http://www.zap-sf.co...ash/contact.htm

I have:

"OAR Now?

Recently I have heard several rumours of a Special Edition of Apocalypse Now on DVD. I would like to take this opportunity to ask you to present the film in its Original Aspect Ratio of 2.35:1, and not the 2.00:1 that the film has been previously presented in, for both the original and Redux editions.

I can understand why the decision was made to present the films this way at the time, as people were wary and suspicious of Widescreen ratios, and widescreen televisions had not yet taken off, so 2.00:1 was a compromise.

However, in 2006, the situation has changed. Widescreen televisions are becoming more widespead, and increasingly, more TV programmes are broadcast in widescreen. People can now 'handle' the full widescreen viewing experience.

So I'm asking you: please present this classic and beloved film the way it was originally intended, and was originally shown. There is no need to settle for second best any more.

Thanks for your time,
Kieran"

You might carry more weight than me!

#38 of 322 Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted May 03 2006 - 08:33 AM

I didn't copy it down, but I sent my own comment in. In it, I explained that I have no idea what the planned aspect ratio was when they shot the film, but I know from seeing Murch's photoboards that he edited the new Redux thinking it was going to be full 'Scope. And Murch is one of those guys who literally would edit the whole movie differently if he thought the image was going to have more vertical information. Documentaries also show the film in 2.35, so it seems that everybody but Storaro and Coppola know about or understand the need to change.

It'll be interesting to see an end to this controversy with the new DVD. Maybe Coppola or Storaro will address this issue on the commentary.

#39 of 322 KieranO'C

KieranO'C

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted May 03 2006 - 03:05 PM

Yeah, if everybody puts their own comments, it would be better. That way it doesn't seem like one crank doing it all the time. Thanks!

#40 of 322 Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,325 posts

Posted May 04 2006 - 01:55 PM

taking the original cut up to the awesome quality of the Redux DVD would be fantastic. I don't watch the original because it looks so terrible in comparison.

I'm curious to see this 5hr. workprint too...but I highly doubt we'll ever get an official release of that!

Mike
Warner Bros. Blu-ray Reviewer
Anchor Bay/Starz Entertainment Blu-ray Reviewer

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator
HIGHEST FIDELITY CALIBRATIONS

Forum Nav Content I Follow