What's new

Nat King Cole goes SACD (1 Viewer)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Just announced by Top Music of Hong Kong and Tivoli Audio (as in the table top radio).

Tivoli Audio: Nat King Cole - The King of Sound

Top Music previously released Joe Weed & The Vultures (our Ms. Rachael B is a big fan of this SACD), the McIntosh - Demonstration Reference Disc, Ampzilla - Demonstration Reference Disc and other SACDs. All excellent stuff. Their SACDs were also highly praised by Positive Feedback (DR of Positive Feedback mistakenly identified Top Music as a Japanese company; the SACDs of Top Music are pressed in Japan by Sony).

Kinda expensive. No technical info yet.

DanFe

Second Unit
Danny,

As I mentioned on the Asylum, it's just too expensive to ship from HK. Is there any way to get this from another source and one that accepts credit cards.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Dan,

Yes, there's another way....I just don't have the price yet and this e-tailer doesn't have stock yet. I will post a link once they inform me of price and availability.

DanFe

Second Unit
Thanks, Danny. Nat King Cole is one of my favorite singers. He simply transcends time.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Dan,

Received e-mail today from Hong Kong e-tailer that I was talking about in above thread....Nat King Cole SACD is now in stock! Been dealing with them for the last 8 months or so....excellent buying experiences. Anyway, here's the deal....

Nat King Cole SACD @ US$23.68

I think shipping is about US$6.00. You can use Paypal (which is what I've been doing) or credit cards.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
This compilation is missing Stardust. Otherwise it is a good selection of 17 songs but any one of them would be a better omission than Stardust in my opinion or better still have an 18th song.

Chris

willyh

Agent
Supreme Jazz label has Nat King Cole hybrid SACD available from jpc.de for $6.22 plus $13.50 for shipping. The shipping charge is per order. They also have numerous old recording at the same price. Any one familiar with this label? Here is a link:
Supreme Jazz: Nat King Cole

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

That is an interesting find if it really works. Purchase 20 titles at 6.23 each and the cost delivered would be about $6.90 each. It appears most of the Supreme Jazz titles I could find information about were just released and I could find no reviews. It appears JPC is the only company that has them for sale so far and it is in Germany and I have no idea what it is. Many of the titles don't show a track listing.

Chris

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
If you can't fine a good price on a Nat King Cole SACD compilation, the recently released Capitol CD "The World of Nat King Cole" includes 28 songs and is very good in my opinion. It is $5.99 from yourmusic.com. I really don't know how much better SACD could be than that CD with those old recordings.

Chris

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Apparently, you can make quite a handsome profit by reselling the Top Music Nat King Cole SACD....the SACD is at $46.00 w/ 16 bids with over 19 hours to go. :D

No affiliation to seller.

RichP

Second Unit
Have you heard Steve Hoffman's mastering on the DCC Gold CDs of Nat "King" Cole? They are regular CD and they absolutely blow away the Capitol CDs. If the mastering on this SACD is good, I have no doubts it will be far better than the Capitol CD.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I received the Tivoli Audio/Top Music Nat King Cole SACD this past Friday from Hong Kong. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. The SACD is "sponsored" by Tivoli Audio and a local Tivoli dealer; except for a couple of pages of biography on Nat, the booklet is entirely Tivoli's "advertisements". The SACD itself was pressed by Sonopress. Here's a scan of the SACD with the accompanying OBI strip....

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

No, I haven't heard that or the Nat King Cole SACD titles. I have heard "The World of Nat King Cole", the recent Capitol CD and it is excellent, better than previous Capitol CD's but if you have heard that Capitol CD and are not just assuming it is significantly inferior, you have more information than I do and better able to compare since all I can compare is the new Captiol CD to the old Capitol CD's. In any event, the new Capitol CD is a great buy with 28 songs for $5.99 including Stardust.

Chris

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

I still can't find reviews for any of the Supreme Jazz SACD releases. Since all are almost certainly sourced from existing CD compilations, not master tapes, and not authorized by any rights holders in this country, I will pass. In the case of Nat King Cole, the source is likely a lesser CD and "The World of Nat King Cole" nearly sure to be far better and more complete.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks