#1 of 15 Greg T

Greg T

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted March 04 2006 - 05:19 PM

http://www.videobusi.../CA6312824.html

Tweeters trying to get 4-6 copies of top movies per store....lol
At least Wal Mart is being realistic and not selling the players....I guess they know Joe Average well enough though, to know he will not be spending anywhere near 500.00

And here I thought the consumers were the ones going to be confused.Posted Image

#2 of 15 Brent M

Brent M

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted March 04 2006 - 06:59 PM

There's a word for all of this and it rhymes with clusterduck. Posted Image
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#3 of 15 Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted March 06 2006 - 07:53 AM

Just because;
1. The companies
2. The reps
3. The dealers
4. The sales personal
5. The consumer
&
6. The HT fan
Does not have any idea what the heck is going on with this format, doesn't mean it going to be a complete failure, does it? ;-)
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#4 of 15 Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted March 06 2006 - 08:08 AM

You forgot Poland.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#5 of 15 Juan C

Juan C

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted March 06 2006 - 09:37 AM

Bill Hunt elaborates on this:

Quote:
Finally, Video Business has a good story up today on the so-far sketchy launch of the HD-DVD format, which is supported to make its big debut on 3/28. Toshiba's first two players, the HD-A1 ($499.99 list) and HD-XA1 ($799.99), are expected on that day. A number of titles from Warner are expected on 3/28 as well, but... despite the press releases to the contrary... there's been little to no retailer confirmation of the titles so far. There are a grand total of ZERO details about the HD-DVD titles up on WHV's studio retailer site, this with less than three weeks to go before they're supposed to street (by comparison, in-depth details of most standard DVD releases are announced to retailers on the studio site months in advance). Toshiba's nation-wide HD-DVD promotional tour continues this week (click here for the latest dates and locations from Toshiba's official format site - you'll also find them in this PDF file), but I'm told by those who have seen it that the only thing Tosh reps have to show is a demo disc of movie trailers - no final product HD-DVD software is ready yet.

On that front, I've spoken with a number of my contacts within the industry - at various production and authoring houses, as well as the studios - and nearly all of them expect that the titles will end up getting delayed. I'm told that the authoring is just a mess right now - the format is being pushed to launch too quickly, and there are many problems getting the movies to work properly. Part of the problem is that the software used to author discs is still in the beta stage - not surprising given that the AACS portion of the HD-DVD spec was only finalized last month. Even IF Toshiba and Warner are able to get both hardware and software titles out on 3/28, they'll basically just be ports of existing DVD releases, with HD video and maybe a few new special features at the most. The iHD interactivity isn't really going to be a factor on the software releases until later in 2006 (after the authoring software is finalized and functioning, and HD-DVD check discs can be vigorously tested on actual player hardware). We'll have more on all this soon.

#6 of 15 Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted March 06 2006 - 10:23 AM

Every time I have an iota of interest in getting into the format this year, I read something like this.

I have enough glitvhy discs from Universal-don't need glitchy HD-DVD discs on top of that.
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

#7 of 15 David_MSP

David_MSP

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted March 06 2006 - 01:54 PM

I had a player preordered from OneCall but decided to cancel the order today. I've been experiencing cold feet for awhile and the article from Video Business pretty much put me over the edge. I really look forward to the day when some sort of HD format is available on DVD. I'm just not convinced (nor comfortable for that matter) that what is scheduled for March is really worth getting into right now. The quality of the discs is a concern as well as the quality of the first players. I will be attending one of the stops on the Toshiba tour on March 21 but I don't expect it to do anything but cause me to dream of what the future might eventually hold.

#8 of 15 Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted March 07 2006 - 02:21 AM

Over at the other forum, the fallback argument when logic prevailed was sometimes "What are you going to be doing on March 28? I'll be watching HD DVD movies!" in a neener-neener tone and with spotty spelling/punctuation. Well, now it looks like maybe nobody will.

One interesting thing about Bill's comments is how poorly authoring is going. Last time I checked, the Microsoft reps seemed to indicate everything was going swimmingly, but a) they have a reason to put a sunny face on things, and b) they've been wrong on a number of things before.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."

#9 of 15 Brent M

Brent M

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted March 07 2006 - 04:32 AM

Jesse,

I read that same obnoxious comment over at the "other forum" and all I can do now is smile when thinking about how that guy will probably have to find something else to do on March 28th. Posted Image
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#10 of 15 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,988 posts

Posted March 07 2006 - 06:35 AM

March 28th is my half-birthday- I'll spend it watching my CED videodiscs Posted Image
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#11 of 15 Juan C

Juan C

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted March 12 2006 - 09:46 PM

News from Home Media Retailing:Warner Exec Says HD DVD Titles May Be Delayed

- Warner Home Video says it may not be ready in time due to technical issues.

- Wal-Mart was told to cancel HD DVD preorders “because they had published prices, and [Warner] haven’t set prices”.

- Best Buy, too, reportedly had to pull Warner HD DVD titles from its weekly circular.

- Toshiba still is demonstrating its two HD DVD players and says, “Everything is still the same”.

- Sources report only 10,000 Toshiba players are being shipped to retailers initially.

- Paramount Pictures Home Entertainment still has set no dates. Studio sources says Paramount HD DVD titles are unlikely to arrive in stores before mid-April.

- Universal Studios Home Entertainment hasn’t scheduled any firm release dates wither.

- LG Electronics said recently it would support the format as well as Blu-ray Disc.

#12 of 15 Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted March 13 2006 - 01:55 AM

What, so Microsoft's reps, who are heavily involved with HD DVD and have a deal with Warner for VC-1, have been playing fast and loose with the behind-the-scenes facts? I'm shocked!

No, this article must have it wrong. How can we trust a division president at Warner, studio sources at Paramount and Universal, and the retailers when we have an industry source with allegiances to one format on an internet forum?

#13 of 15 Andy Kim

Andy Kim

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted March 13 2006 - 12:58 PM

Future Shop here in Canada (owned by US' Best Buy) are listing only 1 HD-DVD title on their website:
http://www.futuresho....EN&catid=24074

Future Shop has got 4 Blu-Ray listed:
http://www.futuresho....EN&catid=24073

No players listed yet though.

#14 of 15 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 8,805 posts

Posted March 13 2006 - 03:25 PM

Need I say more?

Posted Image
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#15 of 15 Johnny G

Johnny G

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted March 14 2006 - 12:06 AM

Don't think anyone has mentioned the Digital Bits posted this yesterday:-

WHV division president Ron Sanders is now confirming what we've been expecting - that there's likely going to be a delay from the planned 3/28 date of at least one or two weeks (the exact timeframe remains unclear). Neither Universal or Paramount expects to street HD-DVD titles before April (and neither has announced their specific plans to retailers either).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users