Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Do you invariably associate a studio logo/theme with a particular movie?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
88 replies to this topic

#1 of 89 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted March 04 2006 - 05:07 AM

At the beginning of Mr and Mrs Smith the other day, when the Regency Picture logo and theme showed up, I half expected (and actually hoped Posted Image) it would be followed by the opening credits of The Negotiator, a movie I watched countless times in the late 90s (I lost the disc since), and one of my favorite actions flicks. More than the Negotiator, that simple studio theme brought back a flurry of memories of that time of my life (college).

I don't think I can ever see the Dimension Pictures name on screen without thinking of the Scream movies, and I don't even own any of them - nor did I love the movies, all of which I only screened once. Weird eh?

I wonder how common this phenomenon is. Do you associate studio logos/themes with specific films, or even experiences?

I am guessing that quite a few Star Wars fans secretly hope that one of their favorite movies will start after the fox logo Posted Image.

--
H

#2 of 89 OFFLINE   Justin W

Justin W

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted March 04 2006 - 05:46 AM

yeah, star wars and the fox logo are married in my mind.

another one is the old miramax logo and pulp fiction.

and the orion logo and a number of great woody allen flicks.

#3 of 89 OFFLINE   James@R

James@R

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted March 04 2006 - 06:00 AM

Quote:
star wars and the fox logo are married in my mind.

Yep, first one I thought of as well. Posted Image

What about the old "Cannon Group" logo? You see that thing slide across the screen, you pretty much know you're in for a winner. Posted Image

#4 of 89 OFFLINE   Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,455 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted March 04 2006 - 06:06 AM

Universal = Jaws, The Birds
WB = 1970s Clint Eastwood flicks
UA = James Bond
Ladd Company = Blade Runner, Outland
Paramount = Indiana Jones
Fox (Cinemascope version) = Star Wars
Compass International = Halloween

#5 of 89 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted March 04 2006 - 06:35 AM

Quote:
and the orion logo and a number of great woody allen flicks
While I cannot think of any one movie in particular, I definitly associate the Orion Logo with VHS and my childhood in the 80s.

Quote:
Universal = Jaws, The Birds
Ah yes, for me, it's Jurassic Park, possibly the most memorable theatrical experience I've had.

--
H

#6 of 89 OFFLINE   Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted March 04 2006 - 07:04 AM

The STAR WARS one is certainly a given.

For Paramount, I always assume it's gonna be a STAR TREK film.

For Dreamworks, I assume it's gonna be a Steven Spielberg film.

Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#7 of 89 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,315 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted March 04 2006 - 07:12 AM

NewLine = Dark City. This was the first movie I saw from them and I thought the corporate sonic logo was part of the Dark City soundtrack. It perfectly fits the feel of Dark City. I still expect Dark City when I hear it.

Warner Bros = The Matrix. This was when I first saw modification of a corporate logo to fit the movie style. I always think of this when I see WB or other logos tweaked to fit a movie intro.

Fox = Star Wars, of course

#8 of 89 OFFLINE   Mike~Sileck

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts

Posted March 04 2006 - 07:47 AM

Pixar - Toy Story!!
Playstation Network:
CarpeD1em500

#9 of 89 OFFLINE   Matthew Clayton

Matthew Clayton

Stunt Coordinator

• 148 posts

Posted March 04 2006 - 08:01 AM

Universal - Serenity (new logo) or Jurassic Park (old logo)
WB - Harry Potter or Batman Begins (new logo), the previous four Batman films (old logo)
Fox - Star Wars
New Line Cinema - The Lord of the Rings
Disney - Any of Disney's animated films from the '90s
Pixar - Toy Story or The Incredibles
Dreamworks - Mousehunt or The Ring

#10 of 89 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,335 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 04 2006 - 08:19 AM

I'm yet another person who can't separate the Fox logo and fanfare from Star Wars. Posted Image

#11 of 89 OFFLINE   David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted March 04 2006 - 09:15 AM

My parents tell me that when I was little, every time I heard the Fox fanfare I would say or want to watch "Star Wars". Still when I hear the opening theme from Star Wars I half-expect to hear the Fox fanfare first.

Universal = The Mummy (remake)
DreamWorks = Shrek
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#12 of 89 OFFLINE   Chris Minogue

Chris Minogue

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted March 04 2006 - 09:26 AM

Fox - Moulin Rouge.

Everytime I hear the logo theme and then Sound of Music does NOT follow, I get a little sad inside.

#13 of 89 OFFLINE   ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted March 04 2006 - 09:50 AM

Paramount=Grease
MGM=The Wizard of Oz
Fox=Star Wars and The Sound of Music
Orion=Dances With Wolves
Walt Disney Pictures=Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (re-release)

#14 of 89 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,905 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted March 04 2006 - 10:03 AM

The UA piano theme should mean Rocky III is coming up next.

#15 of 89 OFFLINE   Patrick Soucy

Patrick Soucy

Second Unit

• 277 posts

Posted March 04 2006 - 11:29 AM

Morgan Creek = Robin Hood !

Sure, the theme music help a lot!!!

#16 of 89 OFFLINE   John Kilduff

John Kilduff

Screenwriter

• 1,668 posts

Posted March 04 2006 - 12:22 PM

I associate the current Warner Brothers logo (with the "As Time Goes By" fanfare) with "Caddyshack 2". Ludicrous as that sounds, it was on HBO Comedy 2 years ago and I was expecting the logo Warner was using in 1988. Instead I see this logo and it's an indescribable feeling of definition (and definitely the only good part of the movie).

The current Warner Brothers Television logo (with the final 4 notes of "As Time Goes By") is associated in my mind with many Warner titles I've seen on TV in the past several years.

Here's a list of some of the Warner titles I've seen with that logo at the end:

-The aforementioned "Caddyshack 2"
-"Innerspace"
-"Moving"
-"The Witches Of Eastwick"
-"Empire Of The Sun"
-"Crossing Delancey"
-"Ace Ventura: Pet Detective"
-"The Last Starfighter" (A Universal release that Warner has the TV rights to)
-"Action Jackson"
-"Burglar"
-"Scooby-Doo And The Cyber Chase"
-"The Man Without A Face"
-"Sharky's Machine"
-"Batman"
-"Singles"
-"Singin' In The Rain" (The TCM Print)
-"Fallen"
-"Batman Returns"
-"The Fugitive"

The Warner logos just have this feel to them that says "This is who we are, for better or for worse".

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Another great thing about Warner Brothers.
Forget the Rewind. If you want real retro action, go to http://www.retrojunk.com.

Proud member of the American Film Institute and a Wal-Mart employee (Yes, you can be both).

From Michelle Pfeiffer to Daryl Hannah and all points in-between, I love 80s women. Don't believe me? Scope out this link: htt.....

#17 of 89 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,314 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted March 04 2006 - 02:35 PM

Quote:
Everytime I hear the logo theme and then Sound of Music does NOT follow, I get a little sad inside.

Ironically, the 20th logo is silent on this one.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#18 of 89 OFFLINE   Rob P S

Rob P S

Screenwriter

• 1,995 posts

Posted March 04 2006 - 02:45 PM

Anyone know why the Fox logo is silent sometimes, and why the fanfare stops early other times?

I miss the old TriStar fanfare with the leaping horse.

#19 of 89 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,314 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted March 04 2006 - 03:31 PM

There were 2 versions of the Fox fanfare: a standard version and an extended CinemaScope fanfare, to cover the "20th Century Fox Presents a CinemaScope Production" card that would fade in after the logo. In the 1970s and 1980s one could apparently choose which one they wanted to use. The short version wasn't rerecorded until the 1980s. Today's CGI version uses the extended version.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#20 of 89 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted March 04 2006 - 03:42 PM

Quote:
Anyone know why the Fox logo is silent sometimes, and why the fanfare stops early other times?

The original Fox fanfare as written by Alfred Newman was originally shorter than it is known to be today. What we generally associate with Fox is what is known as the "CinemaScope Extention," a longer version of the theme created for movies that Fox produced in their anamorphic CinemaScope process, with the "da-da-da-DAAA..." postscript playing underneath a title card that read "TWENTIETH CENTURY-FOX PRESENTS A CINEMASCOPE PICTURE."

By the early '70's, Fox had scrapped their logo music entirely for all practical purposes, except on special occasions like THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW, and even then, they used the original short version of the theme. I could be wrong, but it may have been George Lucas who first brought back the "CinemaScope Extention" with STAR WARS, putting his "A Lucasfilm Presentation" card following the Fox logo.

And until the creation of the modern "News Corporation" CGI logo, Fox continued to have no pattern to muting or using the long or short version of the theme. After the new logo was created, every Fox movie regardless of format plays the full "CinemaScope Extension" theme.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow