What's new

In Her Shoes (1 Viewer)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Just saw this last night and was very impressed. I think this could be one of the most underrated movies of last year. Just wonderful. Great performances and a good script propel this above the typical chick flick.
Anyone else see this?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I just watched it last week and it is now tied with "Cinderella Man" for my favorite flick of the year.

I'm very surprised that it didn't get more attention.

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator
I definitley agree! I keep telling my friends that -- it was so good! It had me bawling in the end -- very well done and great performances...I had to call my sister afterwards :)

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
I enjoyed this too. I prefer Toni Collette's performance over some of the Oscar nominees. Her transformation in the film was nicely realized.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Up until when Cameron Diaz's character gets on the train to Florida, I didn't think too much of the film. Thought it was going in directions I'd seen before with 2 characters I didn't like a whole lot.

But it just got better and better from there on. Both of the sisters grew in logical, realistic and very interesting ways. All the additional characters ended up being really likeable and compelling on their own as well.

A very emotional and rewarding film.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
My comments posted in the 2005 Film List thread:

In Her Shoes from director Curtis Hanson (8 Mile, Wonder Boys, L.A. Confidential) is surprisingly a good film anchored by solid performances from Toni Collette and Cameron Diaz.

It tells the story of the roller coaster relationship between two sisters – Rose (Collette), a successful lawyer and Maggie (Diaz), a party girl who refuses to grow up. The dynamics between the two are so good that they bring depth to the characters they play. As a film whose story is centered primary on women, it does have strong male supporting performances especially from Mark Feuerstein who plays another lawyer who takes an interest in Rose.

In Her Shoes is mostly a film about relationships. While its focus is between the two main characters, its grasp goes far beyond that – from a complex family relationship that affects certain romantic involvements to a casual friendship that develops into something more. The screenplay by Susannah Grant is rich in these small treasures and characters that Curtis Hanson is able to manage and put them all together rather beautifully.

In Her Shoes rates :star: :star: :star: ¼ (out of four).

~Edwin

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I agree, it's in my top ten of the year, and for about a month or two it was my number one of the year.

Brent_H

Second Unit
I was expecting something much better...I enjoyed it but wouldn't place it nearly as high as y'all. Maybe I need to give it another go sometime... :rolleyes

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm glad to see the praise! I just got the DVD today, but probably wont get a chance to watch it for a week or so.

IT's nice to see Curtis Hansons streak of films continuing. It looks like he continues to make good, interesting films. He's probably one of the more underated directors working today.

Unless of course I hate the film.:D

It's a shame this got painted with the "chick flick" brush. I know I had to put up with countless eye rolling when I told my friends I wanted to see it for this very reason. Heck, I rolled my eyes when I first saw the poster.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

I've heard those reactions too. Isnt that a chick flick? Puhlleeze. I think it transended that label.

mylan

Screenwriter
I watched this last night. I cringed when my wife picked it out at Blockbuster and thought "well this ought to suck", even after reading reviews here. After about ten minutes of oogling Ms. Diaz I thought I knew why all you guys were digging this film, but I must say I was completely surprised, I really liked it.

kathy_el_ma

Auditioning
I watched this movie last week and came out of it with the distinct impression that the writers has a sister. I have two of them, and for me this movie was the best understanding of what it is to have sisters. I loved the speech at the end to the fiancee... "but I'll never do it" I actually ended up breaking up with a guy who couldn't understand how I could love my sister even when she infuriated me. I think seeing this movie might have helped him.

Right now I'm planing to loan it out to a friend who is an only child... she's tried to understand my "odd" relationship with my sisters in the past, but I think this will really help.

mylan

Screenwriter
I am having relationship problems with my sister now, we haven't spoken but once or twice in six months, I thought about her while watching and wished that we could reconnect. I don't know if it would do any good but I might suggest she watch it.

kathy_el_ma

Auditioning
If you manage to reconnect give tips on HOW! :)

My sister and I have barely spoken to one another this century, we are 12 years apart in age and just don't get on another, that said I love her, and would give ANYTHING to have a good relationship with her. :frowning:

Sisterhood is very complicated! In Her Shoes def. got that... if I thought my sister might be receptive to this movie I'd send her a copy, that said I KNOW my other sister will get it, and understand why I liked it, so she's on my list to lend my copy to! :) (She lives close enough for that, the other is states away)

mylan

Screenwriter
Based on my track record, I can give tips on how to drive ones sister AWAY from you: say something mean (but true) about her and her family/kids, try to get her to understand your point of view,try to say something that make things better but end up making things worse....

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I haven't done my 2005 film thread write up yet since I've been really busy, but I will probably give it a 9 of 10 or maybe an 8.5.

Very strong film, but then I wasn't surprised because my wife saw it at the theater without waiting on me (I wanted to go) and said it was strong. She was a big fan of the book too and was pleased with the film transformation of it.

Diaz is hit and miss in her career, but this was dead-on. Collette is basically always kicking butt in her roles so no surprise that she knocked this one out of the park too.

Great story, good script.

kathy_el_ma

Auditioning

My sister calls that brutal honesty, emphasis on brutal.

I don't mind hearing the truth... however, when it is said in the harshest may possible I don't take it well at all.

Funny thing is, there are some truths only a sister can tell you, because you will think about what they said, and you will take it to heart (even when you shouldn't).

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I went to see this in the theater a few months back based on the fact that it was directed by Curtis Hanson whose work I love. Another genre, another triumph for CH -- the man is a marvel.

Ahead of both Crash and Brokeback on my top ten of 2005 list. :emoji_thumbsup:

Rob

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed it too, not "top 10" good for me, but a pleasant, emotionally rewarding film.

Really? The whole movie my wife kept up a steady stream of "That wasn't like the book" "They left _____ out!!" "That NEVER happened" She didn't say that!!", etc.

I probably would have had a better experience if I'd watched it by myself. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks