What's new

Ultimate AV Mag report on Blu-ray demo - lots of information (1 Viewer)

Juan C

Second Unit
http://blog.ultimateavmag.com/thomasnorton/

These are the main data:
  • All first titles are expected to be limited to a single layer.
  • There are two Blu-ray modes: Movie Mode (used for high definition films) and BD-J Mode (a fully programmable mode that includes interactive features, like games and Internet connectivity). Both modes can be used on the same disc.
  • Sony and MGM titles will be encoded on the discs at 1080/24p. The user will set the player to convert this native resolution as required to match the capability of his or her display.
  • At this time Sony has no immediate plans to implement the Image Constraint Token (ICT).
  • All of the Sony and MGM titles will initially be encoded using MPEG-2, at a variable bit rate, but up to a maximum of 30Mb/sec.
  • When other codecs exceed MPEG-2 at all data rates, Sony will begin using them.
  • On the audio side, all Sony and MGM titles will include both conventional Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks. Dolby data rate is still unconfirmed. DTS data rate will be 1.5Mb/sec. Additionally all Sony/MGM releases will include a 5.1 uncompressed PCM audio track.
  • The first Sony and MGM titles will each have a hidden Easter Egg containing several setup test patterns— a sweep, a standard SMPTE pattern including, among other things, a PLUGE, color bars, and a resolution monoscope. These patterns can be accessed by entering 7669 on your Blu-ray player's remote (7669 is S-O-N-Y on a telephone).

His impressions of the visual demo:

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit

So basically even with our current setups we will be getting DTS tracks that are using the same bit rate that the original DTS did and since the compression techniques are so much better nowadays the actual sound will be the much better.

The soundtrack and audio for LOTR EE are so amazing I would hope that using this high a bit rate that most Bluray or HDDVD for that matter will sound this good. Thinking very optimistically of course.

Greg T

Stunt Coordinator
Via analog, you will get multi channel uncompressed audio on these particular discs....which should be much better imo than regular DD/DTS.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
It doesn't have to be. I'm sure cable manufacturers like Beldin might be convinced to make a six-cable version of their HD-RGBHV cables. Then you just need to get adept at putting on whatever connector is used (generally RCA - ick!) onto those thin coax wires.

Leo

Greg T

Stunt Coordinator
I am sure there are many early adopters who either have sa-cd, dvd-a or both via analog....so whats the big deal?

I never would have even thought there was a chance at 1080p via analog, as well as never compressed pcm audio.....yipeeeee;)

And I already have a display that accepts 1080p via hdmi....but knowing the majority of potential early adopters that do not, can now support Blu Ray...is imo great news indeed.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Just to be correct, there won't be 1080p via analog. Just 1080i, if the ICT isn't set.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Do we know for certain that the 5.1 PCM file will be high resolution (i.e. 24 bit with high sampling rates) from the master digital soundtracks?

Or will these be losslessly compressed PCM files using DTS-HD in its lossless encoding mode (Dolby TrueHD player specs. are not yet completed, so I'm assuming DTS-HD since it's ready to roll)? A high resolution uncompressed 6 channel LPCM track would take up a lot of space, especially with MPEG-2 video on a single layered disc.

I would not consider a 16 or 20 bit resolution surround track to be high resolution even if it was fully uncompressed.

Dan

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like Jerry's just regurgitating the studio's PR campaign rather than doing any real reporting on what the format is more realistically going to be like... you know, like most "reporters" in this industry.

He probably also saw the same crappy DVD/Blu-Ray comparison disc they've been showing for over a year.

Dan

Cary

Stunt Coordinator
The spec is 192/24k PCM at up to 7.1 channels. What's on any disc is up to the studio/manufacturer. We will have the ability to playback audio better than anything on DVD-V currently.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
What a great thread. Thanks!

That's the part that interests me. I'd love some real in-depth comparison of VC1 to MPEG2 by some independents (neither Sony nor Warner) to really give us the scoop!

dave :)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
doesn't VC1 already exceed MPEG2?

anyway, i thought Dolby's TrueHD is 5.1 uncompressed, is that still true? i'd love to stick with all digital cables instead of going BACKWARDS to analog cables.

re: audio quality. it's interesting they're going to provide all of this but we have to remember that only the latest and greatest films whose audio portion have been recorded using high-res will apply. that means it's a small minority of the titles out there compared to the 100+ history of films. imho, films after 1992 were the turning point of higher-resolution audio.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
You'll need HDMI version 1.3 (out in Oct/Nov) on both player and decoder to transmit either DD TrueHD or DTS HD in native compressed form...though if your properly equipped the player could decompress to LPCM and send via traditional HDMI.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
from http://www.avrev.com/news/0306/08.blu_ray.shtml

"Since HDMI can not handle high resolution audio yet, this 24 bit 192 kHz surround feed will require users to revert back to their nasty 6 channel analog connections but they will be treated to the most impressive, high quality sound that can fit on a disc."

sending 5.1 uncompressed via analog only sounds absurd.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Again, I take Jerry Del Colliano with a shaker of salt.

I don't think we have clarity on this important point yet, but it's never been my assumption or explicit understanding that we're getting any of the new audio formats via analog outputs; those outs will be "legacy" DD and DTS only.

My understanding of HDCP-compliant HDMI (1.3) is that Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD will be encrypted and passed only via HDMI.

Yes, it's my understanding that getting hi rez aud from BD and HD DVD is predicated upon having a new HDMI v 1.3-capable receiver or pre/pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks