What's new

DVD Security Tape is a Nightmare! (1 Viewer)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
It took me 30 minutes just to remove the Security Tape off 5 region 1 DVDs last week.

How many others are frustrated by this over the top security nonsense.
Surely the cellophane outer protection is more than enough.
Most Region 4 DVDs only have the Cellophane protection.

Which Studio uses a tape that is the hardest to remove?

Fox is almost impossible to remove without leaving a sticky residue and doing damage to the plastic protecting the case.
Warners is much cleaner and easier to remove.

Surely the Studios can come up with something better.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Some folks don't like them, but I definitely prefer the cases with two snap clips on the side. The most recent example I have is "Red Eye." I'm sure there's an official designation for this type, but I don't know what it is.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I'm in the camp that really hates security tape. I've ripped the plastic on at least two DVDs. Yeah, I know, I'm a clutz - but I shouldn't have to worry about it.

And I have no objection at all to the security tabs. I didn't know people didn't like those.

BUT - I can't believe any studio is more of a culprit than any other. Don't they all just use a the same small set of duplicator/packaging companies?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
What I've done for the last year or so is used a pocket knife to cut down the seam on the case (through the sticker, all the way around the case). Go slowly and you'll get through. When the stickers are all cut in two, carefully peel them off. Nine times out of ten it works with no residue left over.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

This is my method also. Just cut right down the seam, slicing the tape in two. Then you can easily remove the tape without ripping the cover plastic or leaving residue.

On the other hand, CD security tape is a real PIA!

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
I cut the stickers also. I just noticed the other day on a disc with security clips that it said to twist them and break them off the case once opened. I had no idea that was the intention for those things, but I have been doing that from the start.

obscurelabel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
This much tape is ridiculous. Several times recently, I have had tears on the cover paper because of the tape -- the cover image was mis-aligned, sticking out from beneath the plastic slip, and the tape was put over it. No way to remove the tape without tearing it.

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Why can't they just put the tape on the side only ... I also don't mind the security tabs. Shrink wrap + one strip of tape + tabs should = enough!!!!

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Funny thing is, I just saw a copy of Zathura will all tapes razored on a shelf at Best Buy. Disc was long gone. Nice deterrent.

I also hate that almost every Fox DVD I purchase seems to leave plastic wrap behind on the spine.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
The best is the tape along the top edge that when you start peeling it, breaks into about 800 slivers of plastic, yet on the side and bottom, the tape peels off in one piece.

Bruce

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm.

While I agree with the frustration expressed concerning as many as three strips of "security" tape, I certainly don't have many problems removing it. Just be patient and remove from the corner edges. The top strip, as always, is the most difficult to remove, but I always get it off with the case unscathed. Total time? About three, four minutes. No biggie.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I've always used a knife to slice the tape at the seams, as mentioned. After slicing through the cellophane and the tape (in one step), simply peel the tape away, starting from the sliced edge. I can easily open a couple of DVDs in a minute, with no damage to the plastic cover on the case.

-Scott

Alex-A

Stunt Coordinator
I don't mind the tape. Actually I've never really heard anyone refer to this as 'tape' to begin with. It's always been 'security stickers' for me. Anyway, I also use the slice down the seam method, at least I do now. Back when I first started buying these (which was only 2003 believe it or not) I tried to remove the entire thing in one shot, by peeling up a corner with my fingernail and then pulling it off. Then I discovere that doing this frequently leaves marks on the case and eventually found out that they come off much easier with no damage to the case by just slicing down the seams

As for the cases with the tabs on them, I may be in the minority but I just completely HATE those. I like all my cases to be in the best shape possible. Following the instructions on those tabs by removing them leave two big gaps on the one side of the case, which to me is unacceptable damage. When I am buying DVDs, I avoid these like the plague, but if I must buy one that uses this case, when I get home I swap the case out with one of my spares that I have in my stockpile.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I know how much you guys hate these stickers.

I hate them too.

In defense of the studios, they are only doing it
to protect their product from theft.

Years ago, people walked into stores, quickly opened
disc cases on the shelves and stole the contents inside.

Theft was such a huge problem that the BJs warehouse
in my area took the DVDs off the floor and put them
in display cases. Now, thanks to the stickers, the
discs are back on the floor.

I don't think the studios are proud to have stickers
placed all over their product, but quite frankly, if
it prevents theft and keeps disc prices low then I
can put up with the inconvenience involved.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Funny thing is, many of the cases using the side tabs have abandoned the side and bottom stickers. Not sure what the logic is there. Much easier to open two tabs than two extra seals.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Like Jason-V, I use a X-Acto knife/blade to open my DVD's using the same methods. Have been doing it for years now. Piece of cake in my opinion.;)

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
I can't stand them either. Most DVDs sold here don't have them at all, so I'm not well practised at removing the buggers. The latest 'victim' was the R1 'King Kong', which now has some sticky residue on top and bottom. It's especially bad when a disc arrives from the US and you can hear it rattling about inside the case... the tension really builds over the 10 mins it takes to get the tape off. "Is it scratched? Is it scratched????" :)

Christopher_H

Stunt Coordinator
The security stickers ripped the slipsleeve once on me. Ever since, I check each DVD to make sure the slipsleeve isn't misaligned where the sticker could possibly rip it. I feel like the milk maid checking each gallon of milk for the latest expiration date. The Best Buy employees probably think I'm an idiot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks