Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Three new XM stations

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted February 28 2006 - 05:28 AM

http://www.xmradio.com/lineup/

All starting March 1.

XM49: Big Tracks - Basically, splitting off Top Tracks at the 80s. Actually, sounds a bit more like the old Sirius channel "Big Rock", which will suit me just fine.

XM84: XM Chill - For fans of smooth electronica. I'll be interested in checking it out.

XM173: WLW - More talk radio.

So far, it doesn't look like anything was cut...

Jason

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   RomanSohor

RomanSohor

Second Unit

• 360 posts

Posted March 01 2006 - 12:16 AM

I, myself am not a metal fan, but it seems (from reading other boards) that a lot of subscribers are getting Sirius, or not liking Xm as much because of a lack of Metal (Liquad Metal was lost when MLB came).

A lot have said that Big Tracks is kind of reminiscent of da boneyard. I wonder if perhaps the boneyard may eventually be going away and replaced with a metal channel.
Roman Sohor, CTS

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   mylan

mylan

Screenwriter

• 1,685 posts

Posted March 01 2006 - 12:37 AM

This is great news! No, I don't think B.Y. will go away, they'll just play harder edge music and remove some of the music I actually wanted to hear anyway. Top tracks, deep tracks, and the B.Y. are too scattered as it is now. XM49 could end up being a Godsend for me.
I know enough to know I don't know enough!

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted March 01 2006 - 03:03 AM

I don't think Big Tracks is going to affect Da Boneyard at all, really. They are still going to play what they are going to play.

The channel, tho, may be more attractive to those who think Da Boneyard is too deep and want a channel that is "just the hits, mahm."

I listened this morning, and got Rush, Slaughter, Styx, and David Bowie.

Jason

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts

Posted March 10 2006 - 10:55 AM

Both my wife and I like the Big Tracks channel. It seems to be late 70s and 80s classic rock. I don't like it as much as Deep Tracks, but it is one I listen too.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted March 10 2006 - 01:00 PM

In the end, they are announcing a total of five commercial free stations to supplant the 5 CC "commercial carrying" music channels, bringing them to a total of 74 music networks.

What I'm wondering is: where are they coming up with the bandwidth to do this? I'll be interested to see some reports of sound quality after channel ads are done, because based on their data sheet when they first went online, I can't see how they can do this and not significantly cut bandwidth on at least some of the music channels. The units themselves aren't designed to handle a larger stream volume.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor

• 708 posts

Posted March 16 2006 - 12:02 PM

I haven't been digging the 80's channel. Anytime I tune in I hear nothing but slow jams and light rock. Sure there's ch.41 but they don't play a lot of what I used to listen to. Now that they have added ch.49 I don't switch much. I really like this new channel. It's a nice "in between" of the other two channels. Now if they could get a channel in for the 80's "New Wave" and "Euro Pop" I'd really be set.
"A human being is part of the whole called by us the Universe. We experience ourselves, our thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest --a kind of optical delusion of consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection...

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Ronn.W

Ronn.W

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted March 17 2006 - 02:08 AM

Quote:
What I'm wondering is: where are they coming up with the bandwidth to do this? I'll be interested to see some reports of sound quality after channel ads are done, because based on their data sheet when they first went online, I can't see how they can do this and not significantly cut bandwidth on at least some of the music channels. The units themselves aren't designed to handle a larger stream volume.

When they've added temporary channels in the past, like the 5 or 6 they did during the holidays, I didn't notice any change in quality. I also didn't see/read anything complaining about a drop in quality from others.