What's new

Terrestrial Radio Suffers badly after loss of Howard (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
http://www.radioandrecords.com/Newsr...7/topstory.asp

David Lee Roth a 1.8 Share (really a split 1.7) Good lord. Talk about the way to get advertisers pushed back into a double-book.

I'll look at the National Media Buyer's guide tomorrow, but I'm betting a whole lot of stations just realized they lost millions of dollars in advertising revenue just like that.

dailW

Stunt Coordinator
yeah i read that on the NY daily news website.i also read that talkers released the top 100 DJs and Howard is #1 they also had a list of 150 DJs that didn't make the list and O&A came in #2 on that list. so much for being over the hill!

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I thought people didn't need to talk about O&A in the Sirius forum.

Anyway, there is something seriously wrong with that list. Like them or hate them O&A deserve to be somewhere in that top 100. What is the list based on anyway?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

The opinions of the trade journal on who is the most influential in talk radio. I guess you would call them experts in the field. The link describes the criteria, if you wish to read it. The list certainly is arguable, but I think O&A listeners are not aware of just how unknown these guys are to the average public, outside of the stunt that got them fired. If you asked the average talk radio listener, they probably could not tell you where they broadcast from now, if they know them at all. XM certainly does not feature them in much advertising.

dailW

Stunt Coordinator
i was surprised of that list also i thought O&A were higher by reading stuff on the HTF i'm in no way a o&a fan i am a stern fan and i was surprised that stern was 1 i thought he would be a strong 3 behind rush and hannity.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

True as well and it has always been a bone of contention with them. Of course, it's fallout from S.F.S.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I looked at the top 100 and I knew probably 65-70%, including some like Mike and The Maddog or Curtis and Kuby, who are regional only. I am from O&A's original market and if I had not stumbled across O&A on 'AAF one day, or heard about their firing, I honestly would not know them from Adam. They are not that important (or even on the radar) to those who do not listen to them. Besides, recognition is only one of the criteria. They were also judged on courage, effort, impact, longevity, potential, ratings, revenue, service, talent and uniqueness. Obviously the same experts who feel Howard Stern ranks #1 under these criteria do not think O&A are quite that high. YMMV.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
You could say the same thing about at least half of the personalites that made the top 100

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Let's be honest, the list is mostly for last year, not this. And last year, O&A had very little impact on the broadcast market.

I judge this in this way:

Their revenue stream was minimal in comparison to anyone in the top 100. Their footprint was also small. Their impact on the marketplace was small - a large number of markets had never heard of them. (I hadn't)

So, in the Revenue, Ratings, etc. areas they were non-existant.

And for all those that love Stern, unless SIRIUS booms like mad this year, he will fall in a major way on the list next year, as he will represent a much smaller footprint, and fewer ad impressions.

James St

Supporting Actor
Looks like CBS is trying to recoup some of that loss they took...

CBS files lawsuit against Howard Stern

Not sure how credible this suit is but if CBS wins the $500 million it could be disastrous.

The author of the Talkers article was supposed to call in to O&A today. I only listened to the first hour of the show so I don't know if he did or not.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I don't think the CBS case can go very far. Based on this: They knew where he was going, it was public published information (so not a secret) and they knowingly kept him on the air. They could have kept him off the air and they chose not to. In fact, at one point they "suspended" him for mentioning SIRIUS, so they had already instituted a system to deal with it complete with fines.

Had they sought more, they should have then; but by setting that precident I think they can't really reasonablly go back.

In the end, CBS is just trying to recoup whatever it can because of a disasterous start to the year.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Exactly, CBS had the means to mitigate their losses, therefore they were required to utilize these means at the time of the losses. They had the delay, the dump button, supspension, fines and ultimately could have chosen to fire him for breach of contract. They only utilized the suspension to curb the mention of Sirius and that only proves they could do it if they wanted to, which is not very good for their case. I'm no lawyer, but I don't see this going anywhere.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Hilarious article in a trade magazine about decency defender Jack Thompson saying CBS can "stuff" their arguments:

http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=180703

His point isn't so much to side with Howard as it is to say: "Hey, CBS lied to us. They told us they had all this great technology to 'dump' button him, etc. and that they would keep the show on a tape delay, and now they are saying they got duped and couldn't stop any of it? Give me a break"

:)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Yeah... the fact that CBS had the means (Stern's contract) to fire him AND censor/suspend him at any time for talking about satellite radio and instead chose to and collected TONS of ad revenue (and let Stern ride out his contract till the end of his run) for that period kind of destroys their case.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Hell, this case is a complete joke now:

http://media.putfile.com/Les-Moonves...rn-12-14-2005-

Less Moonves goes on the radio with Howard on Dec. 14 and talked about how "he had purchased SIRIUS" and listens, and says that 2005 was a great, great year for revenues from his show.

Jeez. If you want to claim damages, you've got to realize that you reaped the rewards too.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Opie and Anthony - Howard Stern "rivals" on XM radio who are only "rivals" in their own minds. O&A like to talk about Howard for a good portion of their show, trying to cut him down. Howard, in return, gives them a minute or two a week, mostly to express pity at their latest lame attempt to send their "pests" out to bother him.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks