What's new

Ronin Se - 5/9/06 (1 Viewer)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I guess I am a little suprised at the reaction to this release. I've been holding off on the old one b/c I was under the impression that it was non-anamorphic. Is that the case? If so, at least this one is anamorphic.

That cover is postively puke enducing however...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
There is one feature on the original Ronin disc not mentioned above. It involved an on-line thing where you could follow with Frankenhiemer the behind the scenes stuff on the filimg of the car chase. I've tried to find all the chapters for it, what I have found was an intro by Frankenhiemer and a few shots involving the cars being catapolted over the side of thre road and a chase car that had the camera mounted on it. Perhaps someone knows where these are documented for others to find.

The original release was a very fine one. I could wait till the HD version too.

ChristopherBlig

Stunt Coordinator
would it kill them to include both the teaser (which is genius with all of the members of the cast walking down a street with the letters forming from the shadows) and theatrical trailer??

Let's think over this 2 disc dammit

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Maybe the new disc will contain a new transfer. The old discs pic was, but im sure they could improve it. I like this movie enough, Ill get this for the extras alone.

If you know how to directly access Titles with your DVD player, its easy. Its all on-set behind the scenes video. Heres a list

Title 22 - 24 seconds showing a camera mounted to a Porsche being prepped.

Title 23 - 13 seconds shwoing the stunt driver's driving controls.

Title 24 - 2 seconds of some car-mounted lighting gear.

Title 25 - 23 seconds of the stunt Audi driving off, with a driver operating the car from the trunk.

Title 26 - 15 seconds, the filming of the Audi crashing into the Citroen, and into a crowded cafe.

Title 27 - 4 seconds showing a planning map, using matchbox cars.

Title 28 - 14 seconds showing Sean Bean being filmed walking down a street.

Title 29 - 26 seconds showing Jean Reno and Sean bean bieing filmed while in a shootout.

Title 30 - 14 seconds showing Jean Reno jumping in a stunt car that is being towed.

Title 31- 8 seconds showing the BMW getting flipped over.

Title 32 - 15 seconds showing John Frankenheimer observe as the BMW is towed off the elevated freeway.

Title 33 - 8 seconds showing the same BMW, from another angle.

Title 43 - 27 seconds, John Frankeheimer introduces the "multimedia" presentation contained on the DVD.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
The only thing missing from the title tracks is Frankenheimer's commentary which had to be streamed from the Internet. That's how they got you to watch the extras.

I'll also stick with my first edition. The transfer is still reference level. Very important when you want to demo your system. :)

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
I've been waiting for a SE edition of Ronin for a very long time. Man, can't they make a realy special addition anymore.

There are one disc movies that have better supplements than this.

I guess it really has to do with how the featurettes come out. If there ar 4 to 5 minutes of quick stuff, I definitely say pass. If they are 30 mins or so...then a maybe from me, but probably not.

Plus, no DTS track is a big hit for me as I have pined for a DTS track for this title for a long time.

Cassy_w

Second Unit
How is the first disc reference when the film is crammed into a single layer and suffers from obvious mosquito noise and artifacts all over the place? It's really a first gen release and suffers as a result compared to anything released today.

The High Definition version that aired on Showtime smokes it to pieces. What a difference.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
It's been a long time waiting for the 2-Disc for this film. Albiet sans DTS though... Good thing I kept the booklet from the previous release.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks