What's new

Why are so few TV movies released on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
There are several TV movies and miniseries that I would love to have on Region 1 DVD. To name just a few:

Fatal Vision
Small Sacrifices
The Deliberate Stranger
Bangkok Hilton
The Tragedy Of Flight 103
Unnatural Causes
Friendly Fire

Many of these were issued on laserdisc, but none of them are available on Region 1 DVD (and most aren't available anywhere on DVD). Is there a basic explanation for why so few of these TV productions ever get DVD releases?

Stephen Lilley

Stunt Coordinator
I can't imagine there is a huge demand for these, honestly. Bigger TV movies are available (the Stephen King flicks, for example), but I can't see it being a hugely profitable investment for studios.

Claude North

Second Unit
I think there would be a significant demand for many of the made-for-TV movies that came out during the 1970s and 1980s. Over in the TV on DVD section of this forum, a thread about made-for-TV movies generated many responses, with everyone listing several of their favorite titles. They might not seem as significant as theatrical releases, but many of these films have followings and are remembered fondly by those of us who saw them when they first aired.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I would love the 1984 mini-series..."The First Olympics: Athens 1896". My wife and I enjoy it very much. I purchased it on vhs and transferred it to dvd. But, would still get it if it ever came out.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I wish I knew the answer to that one too. I am fortunate that I like sci-fi, as the Sci-fi channel has come out with some. As for the rest, I am hoping that after the TV on DVD craze slows down a little, the studios might market the movies.

When I think about it, the networks aren't really putting out TV movies anymore. They only come out on cable channels. I wonder what the answer is to that question too.

Anyway, if the sci-fi channel can put some out, they can't cost that much.

Glenn

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
A lot of TV movies are meant to stir interest. For example, the TV movies "The Tragedy Of Flight 103" and "Poseiden (whatever)" was probably meant to either stir up awareness of the theatrical movies, or to leetch off of the fame of the upcoming movie.

If the prior is true, I would assume the theatrical movie studio would sue the tv studio that tried to put their tv movie on DVD. I'm sure there are legal ways of putting it on tv, but once they go to DVD, they may be in risk of being sued.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
There were some really great TV movies back in the 70s that I would love to buy:

A Short Walk To Daylight
A Cold Nights Death
The Day the World Shook
The President's Plane Is Missing
Isn't It Shocking
Salvage 1
The Girl in the Empty Grave
Deadly Game
Winter Kill
The Law
One of My Wives Is Missing

DouglasBr

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent question -- long overdue.

The ABC Movie of the Week, especially in its earlier days (think "The Night Stalker", "Crowhaven Farm", and the many of titles Larry mentioned) were high-quality movies, and I'd certainly buy a goodly number of 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks