-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Isn't it about time for The African Queen?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
107 replies to this topic

#1 of 108 Casey C.

Casey C.

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted February 25 2006 - 07:35 AM

(The most recent African Queen thread is titled "The African Queen on DVD in late 2005?" So I figure it's time for a new one.)

From the Warner chat and reading the HTF it seems we've reached a turning point where the studios have put out quality releases of most A-list catalog titles and are now digging deeper into their catalogs and planning releases of many lesser-known titles. Which is great news for us movie buffs.

Which makes it all the more perplexing that "The African Queen" has been left behind. I understand that the film is in poor condition and needs extensive restoration, but the same has been said for other titles that have been released the past few years. Why no "African Queen"?

Can anyone confirm that Paramount is currently working on a restoration of the film, as opposed to just being in their "future plans"?

Please Paramount -- don't make us wait for the 60th anniversary in 2011. Posted Image

#2 of 108 JulianK

JulianK

Supporting Actor

• 844 posts

Posted February 25 2006 - 10:01 AM

The film's available on DVD in the UK, and it usually sells for less than ten bucks.

Perhaps that might fill a void until a US edition comes along?

#3 of 108 walter o

walter o

Supporting Actor

• 843 posts

Posted February 25 2006 - 10:07 AM

quote=Casey C> Please Paramount -- don't make us wait for the 60th anniversary in 2011.

Please don't give Paramount/Viacom any ideas. Posted Image

#4 of 108 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,212 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted February 25 2006 - 10:24 AM

Quote:
The film's available on DVD in the UK, and it usually sells for less than ten bucks.

And a lot less than ten bucks, my dvd of The African Queen was free inside a newspaper I bought last year, not the best copy of the film but it'll do until a long overdue special edition comes along.

Btw a dvd of the film Zulu Dawn is free inside a sunday newspaper tomorrow, I forgot which paper.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#5 of 108 Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted February 25 2006 - 02:11 PM

Guys, I think they mean a Region 1 NTSC version.

I know this is a stretch, but this was on TV a few weeks ago, and it looked great! (65") Much better than what I remember from the last time I had seen it, and that was years ago. I'm not positive, but I seem to remember seeing some scratches back then, and they aren't there now.

Point being, this hasn't been on TV for years, and seeing it now tells me that a release is coming this year. I have seen this happen with several other movies - they aren't on TV or CATV for years, and a few months after they show up again on TV, they come out!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I want one too!

Glenn

#6 of 108 Casey C.

Casey C.

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted February 25 2006 - 07:07 PM

Glenn: It does pop up on TCM once in a while, and they showed it earlier this month as part of their "31 Days of Oscar" series. Maybe that's where you saw it. But I hope you're right!

... and yes, I am talking about an R1 NTSC release.

#7 of 108 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,230 posts

Posted February 25 2006 - 07:10 PM

Upon last talking to Martin Blythe over at Paramount
before he left his position, we were informed that
African Queen is on their schedule, but is
in great need of restoration.

This was two years ago, and that time frame is
normal for restorations. I wouldn't be surprised
if we saw the DVD released later this year.

...at least the studio has intentions of releasing it,
and that should make all of you happy.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#8 of 108 ted:r

ted:r

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted February 26 2006 - 02:32 AM

I appreciate the TAQ is being worked on. But I've been appreciating that for several years now. I'd nominate TAQ as the most glaring film missing on DVD and I doubt that I'd be alone on that. What would it kill Paramount to issue a status report? A simple statement as to where it lies, what work is being done and an approximate time frame. I think a lot of people would be at least satisfied (and Paramount would gain a lot of good will) with a statement showing how important the studio considers this film.
"I was born when she kissed me. I died when she left me. I lived a few weeks while she loved me."

My 25 most wanted DVDs: Chilly Scenes Of Winter (1979); The Dead (1987); The African Queen (1951); Johnny Guitar (1954); The Sterile Cuckoo (1969); The Friends Of Eddie Coyle (1973); The Rain People (196...

#9 of 108 Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor

• 573 posts

Posted March 08 2006 - 01:46 AM

Quote:
I appreciate the TAQ is being worked on. But I've been appreciating that for several years now. I'd nominate TAQ as the most glaring film missing on DVD and I doubt that I'd be alone on that. What would it kill Paramount to issue a status report? A simple statement as to where it lies, what work is being done and an approximate time frame. I think a lot of people would be at least satisfied (and Paramount would gain a lot of good will) with a statement showing how important the studio considers this film.

I've raised this issue for some years now with a rather tepid response. When I questioned The Bits on any evidence they might have that restoration/preparation for a DVD release was actually in the works I did not get a response. I fully agree with Ted that this is (or is in the top 3) of most glaring missing films on DVD. The lack of news is deafening. I have no confidence that any restoration is actually being done or if it was started that it hasn't been halted.

I also saw a rather improved print of AQ on TCM recently and TIVO'ed it for the time being. Perhaps something is in the works but I don't see why Paramount can't be a bit more forthcoming if they are doing anything along the lines of carefully restoring this classic.

Joel

#10 of 108 Michael Rogers

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

• 732 posts

Posted August 17 2006 - 08:46 AM

At the Dryden theater (part of the Eastman House museum, George Eastman is the founder of Eastman Kodak) I saw African Queen and thought it was great.

Saw the movie as a kid and saw pieces of it off and on on TCM but this is the first time I really got to see it all the way through.

What is this a DVD hold out? Is it a rights tangle?

#11 of 108 Jamie Summers

Jamie Summers

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted August 17 2006 - 01:31 PM

it's out in the uk, has been for years, and very cheap.
we have to order tons of stuff from you lot, so why not do as we do and get it from abroad eh?

#12 of 108 Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor

• 573 posts

Posted August 18 2006 - 03:11 AM

I've been asking for this one for the 9 years of the format's history. Paramount seems to have 'dropped' the ball after insinuating that they were restoring it for 'imminent' release (or within a 'reasonable' timeframe). This is my most anticipated title -- yet I've been disillusioned about its release time and time again. '06 is gone and '07 is going to be the last chance for an SD release. I'd say there is a 50/50 chance of seeing this ever released in this current format.

What I've done is purchase the R2 (far from good quality), record it on TCM, and transfer it to my PVR (Archos AV500) on MP4 format. I can still trasform it to an MPEG2 for optical replay purposes (if I wish) or stick with my MP4 version and just play it back from that box on my HDTV.

#13 of 108 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,039 posts

Posted August 19 2006 - 10:24 AM

Well, we all know how this works. We get steamed and raise a lot of hell for years about titles not appearing, then it appears and we get all mushy ("It was certainly worth the wait!") and all is forgiven. AFRICAN QUEEN will show up eventually and all this energy used to get agitated about its no-show status will be forgotten in a heartbeat.

#14 of 108 Paul_Nyman

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit

• 304 posts

Posted August 21 2006 - 02:28 AM

A few weeks ago I sent an email to Bill Hunt (The Digital Bits) asking if any news was available on The African Queen. It's one of three films left unavailable on DVD yet from the old AFI 100 films of all time list. Never heard anything back from him? I wonder how long we all have to wait for it to be finally restored and released to DVD, HD-DVD and Blue-Ray.

#15 of 108 Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,102 posts

Posted August 21 2006 - 02:34 AM

iirc, I thought the new head of Paramount home video didn't like any old films and thus she's put the kibbutz on most of their releases, perhaps including African Queen?

#16 of 108 GlennWD

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted August 21 2006 - 02:40 AM

I got tired of waiting for the DVD and bought the Laserdisc cheap off ebay. Loved watching it again for the first time in many many years, it deserves Warner like treatment.
Best of Film - Jaws, The Godfather Part I & II, Casablanca, M, Citzen Kane, Ben-Hur, The French Connection, Rear Window, King Kong.

Best of Television - The Twilight Zone, M*A*S*H, Night Gallery, I Love Lucy, Hogan's Heroes, Cheers, Monty Python's Flying Circus.

My DVD Collection

#17 of 108 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,230 posts

Posted August 21 2006 - 04:09 AM

Seems a lot of things changed since Martin left Paramount domestic.

"African Queen" was on the fast-track for release when he was
running the show, but as others have discovered, classics seem
to have taken a huge setback since changing of the guard at the
studio.

I can only guess that since AQ was being restored, we will see
this title sooner than later.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#18 of 108 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,221 posts

Posted August 21 2006 - 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_S
iirc, I thought the new head of Paramount home video didn't like any old films and thus she's put the kibbutz on most of their releases, perhaps including African Queen?

"Put the kibbutz"? Where'd THAT expression come from? Posted Image

("Kibbutz" means "a communal farm or settlement in Israel"...)
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#19 of 108 Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted August 21 2006 - 07:57 AM

LOL, I was going to point out that out earlier...surely Adam just had a minor brain-lock in his intended use of the phrase "put the kibosh," which means exactly the right thing in this context. "Putting the kibbutz" on anything that doesn't involve milking cows or picking fruit does indeed make very little sense. Posted Image

#20 of 108 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,982 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 28 2006 - 04:14 PM

Just want to let everyone know that in this week's Weekly RoundUp, I am listing an R1 import of The African Queen. Don't know much about it.

HERE is the listing at Amazon.com.

Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

Forum Nav Content I Follow