Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

ATTENTION WARNER BROS. reconsider these titles

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted February 24 2006 - 07:20 PM

I wish WB would reconsider some of the sets they've already issued. As in re-do them.

For example, THE PETRIFIED FOREST should be paired with the remake Bogart produced in 1956 for live television. Lauren Bacall replaced Bette Davis and Henry Fonda replaced Leslie Howard. I understand a kinescope survives in good quality, and that it's more like the original theatrical play than the film, although I've never seen it. Get Bacall to do a commentary on the teleplay, and hurry up about while she's still with us. Just think of it: a lost Bogart performance that re-unites him with Bacall. It's really their 5th film together. It's also a chance to see Hollywood's greatest actor re-invent one of his greatest roles. Who wouldn't want to see that?

I read somewhere on this message board that THE MALTESE FALCON had a Spanish-language counterpart filmed simultaneously. This is exciting news. I never knew that. I'm dying of curiosity to see it. Who's in it? Who directed it? Did they try to better it like the crew on Dracula? Naturally it should be included with John Huston's classic so that we can compare them, if it survives in adequate quality -- or even if it doesn't -- but if it survives in adequate quality, there's no excuse for omitting it. I can't muster up much excitement for the two earlier versions -- let them be a double-feature DVD unto itself, or consign them to TCM. It's the Spanish language counterpart that matters here.

I would like to see Robert Altman's THE LONG GOODBYE re-released with three additional supplements. First, an interview with the director in which he is pressed to explain why he regards the genre, the author of the book, and his audience with such contempt. Second, a kinescope of Dick Powell's live teleplay of THE LONG GOODBYE from the early 1950s, with Powell playing private-eye Philip Marlowe for the second time. Third, a CD-ROM feature offering Leigh Brackett's original screenplay, so that we can compare it to how Altman shot it.

And while you're at it, make THE DEVILS and the preview version of ALTERED STATES the most urgent priority in the home video department. No other titles in your back-catalogue are as hotly wanted by consumers as these two legendary Ken Russell films.

C'mon Warner Brothers.
Let's start using some imagination.

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted February 24 2006 - 07:52 PM

Quote:
C'mon Warner Brothers. Let's start using some imagination

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

In my opinion, WB uses more imagination than most other studios combined.

...and FYI...WB doesn't own the kinescope version of THE PETRIFIED FOREST. It's owned by a company that owns the rights to the original Producer's Showcase kinescopes. I believe that company has a website dealing with their holdings of television programming.

Also, it would be very hard for Warner Bros. to release THE LONG GOODBYE...It's a United Artists film, distributed for MGM (which owns the UA library) through Sony.

Lastly, only a handful of foreign language versions of early talkies survive, and the 1931 MALTESE FALCON isn't one of them, to my knowledge. I'm very much looking forward to their release of all three versions of the Hammett story.

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,463 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted February 24 2006 - 07:52 PM

Much as I'd love to see what you ask for, The Long Goodbye is still owned by Sony/MGM.

And you're right about both Russell films, Kuddly Ken isn't getting any younger either...
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Johannes S

Johannes S

Stunt Coordinator

• 120 posts

Posted February 24 2006 - 08:56 PM

WB should seriously consider releasing "Land of the Pharaohs" from Howard Hawks and "Still of the Night" with Scheider/Streep.

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Jacqui

Jacqui

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted February 24 2006 - 10:17 PM

Glad Fox is re-issuing a SE of the Towering Inferno as opposed to Warner's original barebones disc.

In regards to Warner Brothers, they put more thought into their releases than say Paramount. My favourite movie is Hud, and although the transfer is perfect, there are absolutely no special features. It is an important movie in the context of American cinema, so this particular film deserves a nice release.

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,474 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted February 24 2006 - 10:50 PM

I don't know why a film should have a second release just to include a TV adaptation. WB just released the Gangsters set in 2004, so why do they need to re-do them just to include some fluff? WB even mentioned that SE's without a real purpose aren't worth doing yet. I could name a few titles I'd like to see more work done in the extras department, but it can wait for HD.

Also, I'd imagine the Spanish-language Maltese Falcon isn't much to speak about... the Spanish Dracula is only on video because it's a great film by itself.

Quote:
Glad Fox is re-issuing a SE of the Towering Inferno as opposed to Warner's original barebones disc.

Fox released the original bare-bones disc, too. WB only has non-American rights.

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Jacqui

Jacqui

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted February 24 2006 - 10:58 PM

I have region 4 as I live in Australia Posted Image

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted February 25 2006 - 03:27 AM

I completely missed the chat last week, but I was hoping someone would have made mention of "Moving" starring Richard Pryor. I've wanted that on DVD for as long as I can remember. The old VHS tape is getting pretty worn. lol

But yeah, Warner is doing an amazing job with their releases. I agree that they put more thought into what they put out than any other studio. They know how to get people chomping at the bit for their releases. I for one am ecstatic about the "Superman" set and the "Grumpy/Grumpier Old Men" set. Not to mention "Ace Ventura" in its OAR.........finally.
My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted February 25 2006 - 05:40 AM

re: "First, an interview with the director in which he is PRESSED to explain why he regards the genre, the author of the book, and his audience with such contempt"

Yeah, Richard, thats a great way to get a director's participation on a DVD. FORCE him to tell us. Maybe they can put Altman on the rack if he refuses to impart the information. As a member of Altman's audience, I never felt regarded with contempt but hey, that's just me. After all, it wasn't Chandler's Long Goodbye, it was Altman's Long Goodbye.

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   KieranO'C

KieranO'C

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted February 25 2006 - 07:17 AM

Quote:
would like to see Robert Altman's THE LONG GOODBYE re-released with three additional supplements. First, an interview with the director in which he is pressed to explain why he regards the genre, the author of the book, and his audience with such contempt.

Yeah...good luck with that. Altman is well known as being a bit of a grumpy old so-and-so at the best of times.Posted Image

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Edward Schatz

Edward Schatz

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted February 25 2006 - 08:44 AM

I'd like to see an SE of Body Heat
Edward

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,204 posts

Posted February 25 2006 - 12:29 PM

...and BILLY BUDD (1962), an Allied Artists near-masterpiece with Terence Stamp, Robert Ryan and Peter Ustinov, who also directed. P-L-E-A-S-E!

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts
  • LocationSaranac Lake, NY

Posted February 25 2006 - 02:20 PM

I'd like to see a slew of new to home video releases before a rehash of released titles as SEs.

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Screenwriter

• 1,094 posts

Posted February 25 2006 - 09:12 PM

Richard, the Spanish language FALCON is an alternate filming of the 1931 version, NOT the Huston classic.

Forum Nav Content I Follow