-

Photo
- - - - -

"Babylon 5" - Will there be a price drop?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

#41 of 55 Joey Gunz

Joey Gunz

Second Unit

• 299 posts

Posted March 04 2006 - 10:08 AM

Quote:
There is also an issue with the early B5 material because the masters were partially eaten by rats after some earthquake damage to the vault they were stored in.

Hehe, why am I not surprised? Posted Image

As good as this show was, it always seemed like it could never catch a break (limited TV stations & viewers, almost cancelled, etc). I give Straczynski a lot of credit for persevering.

Quote:
BTW: DeepdiscountDVD has them listed for $43, listing "Release Date: 03/14/06". I'd assume this is a re-release of some sort, but I haven't heard anything about it. Looks like good news for the OP.

Wow! I just checked and all 5 sesons are $43.55 at DDD! Thanks for the headsup! Posted Image

#42 of 55 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 05 2006 - 04:26 AM

Quote:
Wow! I just checked and all 5 sesons are $43.55 at DDD! Thanks for the headsup! Posted Image

Plus the TV movie set and Crusade, for those who are interested.

Good thing you read about it here, though. Posted Image Right after reading Dave's post and checking the DDD site I posted this info to several other forums, including the Official Warner Bros. B5 fourm in the "TV on DVD" section of their site. This morning I went to check the thread for replies and it was gone! Maybe the Warner Bros. on-line store doesn't like the competition? Posted Image

Regards,

Joe

#43 of 55 David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 1,984 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 05 2006 - 04:51 AM

Not only the price drop, but it looks like the Warner Brothers Rebate still applies if you buy more than 1 season of B5/ Crusade ($10 for 2, $20 for 3, up to $50 for 6 sets etc).
There are many other series that help qualify for the multi set discounts.

#44 of 55 StevenH

StevenH

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted March 06 2006 - 04:43 PM

Just thought I'd mention that at overstock they are selling seasons 1,2,4,5 for $42.29 each. They also have a 10%off coupon code 73622 that lowers the price even more. I just bought them and it came out to roughly $39 shipped for each set. Too bad they don't have a good price for season 3.

#45 of 55 Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted March 07 2006 - 07:37 AM

I have to admit that I saw Babylon 5 during its original run Babylon 5 was shown in its original full frame format. JMS has said that the episodes were edited to present it in Widescreen for its Sci Fi premiere and its DVD release.

I noticed this duriing some scenes where Michael Garibaldi is shown on screen. During its original broadcasted format, you see his entire head but during the widescreen re-edit, part of his scalp is chopped off. Some of you may notice this during some of the earlier season episodes and during the final season run.

#46 of 55 DaveGTP

DaveGTP

Screenwriter

• 2,096 posts

Posted March 07 2006 - 03:32 PM

IIRC JMS tried to shoot the show protected for widescreen format, but his directors didn't always do it (especially season 1). So there's some less-than-perfect framing here and there.
Matheson- "There are probably some who'll say that by doing this, we are interfering with their culture."

Gideon - "Probably. Screw them."
-Crusade, Visitors from Down the Street

#47 of 55 Vincent Matis

Vincent Matis

Second Unit

• 491 posts

Posted March 15 2006 - 11:35 PM

If you don't mind R2 UK DVD: £130 for a boxset containing the 5 seasons + 3 movies + Crusade:
http://www.choicesdi....uctGuid=668563
http://www.choicesdi....PageMenuGuid=1

#48 of 55 smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted May 24 2009 - 02:08 AM

Did any Babylon 5 buyers get the UK R2 PAL versions. If so, are they just as good as the region 1 NTSC versions. I know all the issues with PAL and it has not affected me at this point so I am not concerned about it.

I saw a few episodes early on TV but it did not catch my interest at the time. The CGI was not impressive as compared to other similar shows and I had never seen the pilot. With all the good feadback, expecially for the later seasons I thought I'd give it another try.

These sets are usually so expensive which has limited my desire to do a blind buy. However, Amazon UK as them for equivalent to $17 US a season.

#49 of 55 Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted May 24 2009 - 07:19 AM

Guys, check out Best Buy. All five seasons of Babylon 5 at $19.99 each.

#50 of 55 smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted May 24 2009 - 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Talmadge
Guys, check out Best Buy. All five seasons of Babylon 5 at $19.99 each.

Interesting how that works out, I just was there yesterday and the price was $45 a season. I had heard they had them once before at $20 a piece, good to see it again right when I'm interested. Thanks for the heads up.

#51 of 55 Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted May 24 2009 - 12:56 PM

No problem. Also, I would expect that the DVD's will still be on sale next week. Best Buy has been maintaining their sale prices on older TV shows for two weeks. The 12.99-19.99 TV on DVD sales usually last for two weeks. Even if they don't advertise it, Best Buy stores will match their online prices in their stores.

If they argue with you, ask to talk to one of their managers.

Also, Best Buy always runs those special $20 per season prices on Babylon 5 every other month or so. They usually place B5 on sale about four-to-five times per year.

#52 of 55 smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted May 24 2009 - 02:06 PM

Quote:
No problem. Also, I would expect that the DVD's will still be on sale next week. Best Buy has been maintaining their sale prices on older TV shows for two weeks. The 12.99-19.99 TV on DVD sales usually last for two weeks. Even if they don't advertise it, Best Buy stores will match their online prices in their stores.

If they argue with you, ask to talk to one of their managers.

Also, Best Buy always runs those special $20 per season prices on Babylon 5 every other month or so. They usually place B5 on sale about four-to-five times per year.

I haven't kept close tabs on the B5 pricing but in store around me it seems to always be around $45. So it is probably online where it periodically goes on sale for $20. At $45 a season I can see where sales might be needed at this point. I would imagine all the fans willing to pay that amount probably already have, so that leaves those on the fence and $45 as a standard price is a bit high for that.

I decided to go all out and get the movie pack too, which apparently is not always available at stores. In addition, no store around me had all 5 listed as available, so I just ordered online. This year I have a premier member status because I bought a projector their last year, so shipping is free.

#53 of 55 Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted May 24 2009 - 04:59 PM

Well, you're looking in the wrong places. I know what I'm talking about. B5 sets go on sale at Best Buy around four to five times per year.

#54 of 55 smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted May 24 2009 - 05:32 PM

Quote:
Well, you're looking in the wrong places. I know what I'm talking about. B5 sets go on sale at Best Buy around four to five times per year.

I never said you didn't Mark. As I previously stated, I haven't kept close tabs on B5 (especially the BB online pricing). Obviously not as close as you since you are already a fan of the series. But when I do browse BB stores (once or twice a month) I've usually glanced at it and in the stores I frequented, when I frequented, it always seemed to be $45 a season, so I assumed it was always that price (in store and online). So I was pleasantly surprised to see it online right now for $20 a season.

#55 of 55 Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted May 25 2009 - 11:26 AM

I watched the original broadcasts and I'm not a huge fan ... I just enjoy the series ... I just notice the sales because of other titles that Best Buy tosses in their sales.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow