-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Velodyne SMS-1 added to my HT

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted February 23 2006 - 09:02 AM

As a point of information: I've updated my web site to include a lot of material discussing my experiences and impressions of the Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Management System. There is a link in my signature.

In addition, we've created a new "MEMBERS HOME THEATER AREA" here that we are encouraging you to use to discuss details of your own personal home theaters and its equipment if applicable. Check it out and read the "Welcome" message to see how it fits in to the entire HTF experience. Enjoy!
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
CLICK HERE to visit My HT HTF Rules and Regulations

#2 of 4 RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted February 23 2006 - 10:21 AM

OOPS! Seems like I may have jumped the gun a bit on the new MEMBERS HOME THEATER AREA. The new area has not yet been opened to the general membership (only moderators can see it until it's finalized.) If you can't get to the link I posted in my previous message try again a little later.

But my HT web site is up and running.

Sorry about any confusion.
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]

#3 of 4 RussD

RussD

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted February 23 2006 - 02:05 PM

Robert,

I visited your site and see you have an m&k 350thx. I used to own a mx-200 and it was an excellent sub. What is your opinion of the 350? How does it compare to the svs sub you own?
uncle r

#4 of 4 RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted February 25 2006 - 08:56 AM

They both have their good points. The SVS is clearly superior in the area of the lowest end. (~16Hz) The 350 seems better in the upper end of the sub 80Hz range. And the SMS-1 verified this when I saw a need to use the 350 to flatten out the 16-80Hz subwoofer curve at 63Hz. With the SMS-1 coordinating everything I now have much nicer tuned room.

Having two subs that each handle a different part of the subsonic frequency spectrum works out very well, as long as you have a convenient way to manage the equalization curve (in other words, the Velodyne SMS-1). It's almost like bi-amping the subs, or making it a 2 way system for LFE.

Posted Image

If I was forced to have only one of the two subs I'd personally choose the SVS PC-Ultra because of the stronger low end (for maximum "wow" effect.) However, there are people who prefer the smoother response of the M&K MX350THX, although you don't get the bottom "punch" as much. I'm now able to use both of them for maximum effect and it's the best they've ever sounded since they enhance each other, if I'm making myself clear.
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]