What's new

If you won Lottery.. (1 Viewer)

Nick

Second Unit
Well, I have this question at work with my co-worker.
I told him that if I won lottery I wouldn't want to have my name or picture published. I want to remain anonymous. But he said that they have to publish your name, you don't have to have picture taken but the name has to be published. It's the law. Is it the law ?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
From what I understand (California Lottery) yes it is true. Lottery participants (i.e. the people who contributed to your millins) can demand to know that the lottery was legit and who the winner was.

But I believe all they have to give out is your name. Hopefully you don't have some really unique last name.

Who are you hiding from? ;)

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Actually it depends on the state where the ticket was bought. Most states require public disclosure of winner's names. Here in DE we are the exception. Any winnner in DE can choose to remain 100% anonymous.

Yup ... for sure that'll be my choice.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
when and if, the big game plays right this week, think i would buy the plummeting Sony stock, with enough ,maybe controlling interest unscrew the classics that they are sitting on, and with whats left buy an egg McMuffin

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Q. Can Lottery winners remain anonymous?

A. No. Florida Lottery winners cannot remain anonymous. Florida law mandates that the Florida Lottery provide a winner’s name, city of residence, game won, date won and amount won to any third party who requests the information. However Florida Lottery winners home addresses and telephone numbers are confidential.

Nick

Second Unit

It's not my turn yet..
Well, ;) you never know... I just want to be prepared... in case I won. Chance of winning is greater than not playing at all right ?
I'll use my lucky dollar next pot. :)

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
When I win, publish my name and photo. Just as long as they publish the photo of me kissing my cheque and with my quote of:

"If God wanted me to share...he would have made me a nice person! Holla!"

I could only imagine the backlash.:laugh:

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I liked what someone said to do before you go public. Go to the library and research your family tree. This way whoever comes out of the woodwork claiming to be a relative. You know if they are full of crap or not.

Seriously, I couldn't even imagining winning millions of dollars. What I would do. I own a small family business with my father. If I won and knowing I didn't need the money from work..would make work a lot more enjoyable. I just don't know if I would quit completely. I think I would go crazy being home all the time..when not traveling. :) Definitely make sure my father retires and take my mom away and relax. :)

My kids would be happy! :D

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Man that double-negative took about 90 seconds to parse! It's been too long since Boolean Math in college.

I agree that most people would want to remain anonymous -- you'll be hounded by friends, family, fortune-seekers, cheats, swindlers, and financial advisors.

Also, I observe that the truly wealthy, whose money is not derived from celebrity, are pretty quiet about it and stay out of the public eye. I'd guess for the same reasons.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
That's why I'd rather only win a "small" lottery, say $30 million. No one ever follows the winners of those, whereas the big ones ($365 million) are plastered all over the news.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
You'd be surprised how many winners do want the attention. I have in the past work with the CA Lottery people and they say many winners just can’t wait to get in front of the cameras.

As for winning, if I were to win I would want to win big. I know the father a person who won over 100M. After the initial attention things died down and now she lives a very anonymous life. All be it a very nice anonymous life.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I actually do have an idea of what I'd do if I won the lottery, because I was in a lottery pool and we put together a letter of agreenment to cover the unlikely event of our winning and had to think these things through.

1) Sign and physically secure the ticket. (Bank safe deposit box.)

2) Get unlisted phone number.

3) Hire the best tax lawyer in the state of Florida.

4) Arrange for a few days off from work, fly to Tallahassee, turn in ticket.

If it were the kind of big prize that would attract a lot of press, I'd also arrange to board the cats somewhere and check into a nearby hotel for a week or two, preferably under an assumed name. Just until the heat died down you understand. :)

5) Quit job. :)

Regards,

Joe

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I would live in a series of fabulous apartments, in all the trendiest cities of the world, and live under assumed names taken from movies.

"Congratulations on your new condo overlooking central park Mr.Wayne."
"Please, call me Bruce."

Ha-ha! I jest. in reality I'd be dead within the year of a heartattack and weigh 400lbs. My 25,000 sqr.foot home wouldn't even have a kitchen.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
*Don't show-up for work. When the evening news announces your winning ticket just get in the car and drive to your state's Lottery office. Wait till they open. Tell the spouse you'll be back. Leave your car in the lot, now they know what it looks like.

*Get a cellphone. Don't give anyone the number except the lottery people. Cancel your house number.

*Move to another city, rent an apartment under an assumed name.

*Move again to cover your tracks. Split lottery winnings between several bank accounts (at seperate banks goofball).

*Leave state for 16 months or so. Once a new superlotto winner is chosen, continue with your life.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I like the advice from the Rotten Library:

1. Don't tell anyone. The single most important rule for maintaining sanity after winning the lottery is: Do everything you can to keep your precious anonymity intact. Of course that means keeping your goddamned mouth shut. Don't share the news with your friends, neighbors, coworkers, or family. Resist even the urge to tell your spouse or significant other, at least for the time being. Otherwise you will have forever blown your one chance at being anonymous. You can always spill the beans later, after all the excitement has died down.

2. Don't sign the ticket. After you write your name on that ticket, you might as well call up and announce the news to your local TV stations and newspapers. Remember that the state lottery commission will publicize the identity of every claimant. Toss the ticket into a clean Ziploc bag (to avoid spills, etc.) and temporarily stash it someplace away from excessive heat, sunlight, pets, children, roommates, coworkers, etc. Make sure it's someplace safe that you won't forget.

3. Act casual. Maintain your normal routine. Continue to attend work, school, church, social functions, etc. Whatever's typical for you. When people ask you what's up, refer to rule number one.

4. Make a few photocopies. At your earliest opportunity, take a trip to a 24-hour Kinko's around 2am when nobody's around and make six copies of the ticket, both front and back. Use one of the self-serve machines and take any and all bad copies with you (i.e. leave none in the trash). And before you leave, doublecheck to make sure you didn't leave the original in the machine.

5. Rent a safe-deposit box. Contact your bank and see if they have any vacant safe deposit boxes, tell them you're going on a trip and need to store some documents for a few months. Make a point of asking them how much it costs, even though you couldn't care less. You're trying to keep up appearances. When you go down to the bank in person to open your box, you will probably need some ID and your bank card. Bring the ticket, along with some other (fake) papers. Don't show them the ticket, obviously. Loose lips sink ships. Stash the ticket in the box and put the box key on your keyring. Don't lose the key.

6. Open a blind trust. Hire a tax attorney. Once you're a client, the lawyer is legally bound to maintain your confidentiality. Tell them you want to open a blind trust in order to claim the lottery prize as an anonymous trustee. Provide three photocopies of your ticket. All contact with the lottery commission will be made through your lawyer.

7. Contact a financial planner. Rich people don't tend to stay that way without a little planning. If you have the choice between annual payments and a single large payout, you should consider the big jackpot. It's less money total, but it's probably about the same as the annuity if you take the lump sum and invest it in interest-bearing savings bonds. However, the single large payout may incur a higher tax rate. Ask your tax experts.

8. Tie up any financial loose ends. No reason to procrastinate now. Pay all those traffic fines and parking tickets. Catch up on alimony or child support payments. Settle any debts. Instruct your financial planner to scrub those black marks off your credit score, but don't cancel your credit cards -- that'll screw up your rating. And don't think it won't matter anymore. It matters.

9. Draft or update your last will and testament. If there were ever a time for estate planning, it's now. Be sure to remember us by including The Rotten Codicil in your will.

10. Move away. And not just out of town. We're talking out of state, possibly out of the country. You can't expect to keep a lid on your secret forever; information wants to be free. Maybe buy a modest house with a good alarm system in a gated community with a private security force. That ought to minimize the solicitors at your door. Also be sure to get an unlisted phone number.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks