Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Are Some Children Just Born Evil?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
126 replies to this topic

#1 of 127 OFFLINE   Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted February 22 2006 - 08:22 AM

I mean evil to the core. Without the hope of rehabilitation. The kind of kids that not only you wouldn't want to have your kids or pets around, but you yourself would think twice about letting them out of your sight? What do you think?

Me, I've known of a couple of kids who tortured animals and did Satanic things with them. From what I know, they grew up to be adults who've spent time in prison. Then there's those two kids in England I think that took the toddler and killed him. Kind of like that movie The Good Son, with Macaulay Culkin.

#2 of 127 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,022 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted February 22 2006 - 08:31 AM

To answer your questions:

Yes

#3 of 127 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted February 22 2006 - 08:40 AM

Some children?
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#4 of 127 ONLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,672 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted February 22 2006 - 08:41 AM

What Rich said. Some are not?
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#5 of 127 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,933 posts

Posted February 22 2006 - 08:50 AM

Yes....yes I do

Posted Image
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#6 of 127 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 22 2006 - 09:10 AM

Well, there's my sister, for starters...

Posted Image

#7 of 127 OFFLINE   Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted February 22 2006 - 09:21 AM

Anyone remember this gem:

http://www.tampabays....?storyid=24334

Posted Image

#8 of 127 OFFLINE   ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC

Producer

• 3,729 posts

Posted February 22 2006 - 09:26 AM

Me. But I have philosophical objections to evil, so I don't practice anymore. Posted Image

#9 of 127 OFFLINE   Paul Simmons

Paul Simmons

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted February 22 2006 - 09:47 AM

"DR EVIL! I didn't spend 6 years in Evil medical school to be called Mr"

Posted Image

#10 of 127 OFFLINE   Nathan A

Nathan A

Second Unit

• 353 posts

Posted February 22 2006 - 09:57 AM

What do you think? Considering your sig, I figure you've given it at least some real thought.

I'm not entirely convinced, but at present I believe that they're not born evil- more like a blank slate. I think it mostly stems from poor parenting, but I do think that even parents who mean well can end up with heathen kids.

Of the kids I really know, one stands out as being monstrous, and it's clearly because of terrible parenting. We must invent Good Parenting Pills.

#11 of 127 OFFLINE   Bob Graz

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor

• 798 posts

Posted February 22 2006 - 11:02 AM

I vote yes

#12 of 127 OFFLINE   Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted February 22 2006 - 11:40 AM

I've got to put the blame on the parents too. There may be a few born with chemical imbalances or whatnot, but the vast majority of 'evil' kids just have idiots for parents.

#13 of 127 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted February 22 2006 - 01:55 PM

some have terrible parents, some have terrible genes, and it's pretty tough to know which is which until you spend a lot of time with the kid.

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#14 of 127 OFFLINE   RickRO

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted February 22 2006 - 03:03 PM

Christ says
Quote:
some have terrible parents, some have terrible genes,

Some really win the lottery and have both!

Quote:
I'm not entirely convinced, but at present I believe that they're not born evil- more like a blank slate.

I agree with this somewhat....but there are those children that you know they know right from wrong and they actually choose to "take the evil path".

Anybody ever chaperoned a field trip with their child's class somewhere? I had the "pleasure" of chaperoning a trip to the zoo adn I volunteered to take three children (who's parents I knew and are very well respected" plus my own child and one of the kids you could just tell the evil wheels were turning. I though to myself that the local law enforcement would surely be "meeting up" with this individual at some later date. Posted Image
"The only good bug, is a dead bug." ~ Starship Troopers

#15 of 127 OFFLINE   Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

• 1,612 posts

Posted February 22 2006 - 03:04 PM

I prescribe to the "tabula rosa" or blank slate theory, unless some sort of physiological condition is proven. Definitely the parents to blame....

But then again, I've raised an angel...... ok, maybe it was more my wife's doing, but I recall being present at some point Posted Image

#16 of 127 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted February 22 2006 - 03:40 PM

Yes. You can usually tell by age 2.
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#17 of 127 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted February 23 2006 - 02:06 AM

Here is a clear cut case of BAD PARENTING!:

http://ebaumsworld.c.../racistkid.html
Profanity WARNING: Not Safe for Work!

#18 of 127 OFFLINE   D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted February 23 2006 - 05:36 AM

The two main factors are parenting and genetics. Of course, adults with bad genetics are statistically more likely to be bad parents, so many kids are getting a double whammy.

Quote:
I prescribe to the "tabula rosa" or blank slate theory, unless some sort of physiological condition is proven.

Do you mean "unless proven for a specific case" or "unless proven that there is even such a thing as a genetic physiological condition"?

Does any body remember the ADD thread that Holadem started a few years back (I scored a 221 on an internet test)? Well, it turns out that ADD has hit our kids pretty hard. I used to not belive in ADD too much, but it turns out that there is a lot of science behind it now (SPECT imagining and everything). The bizarre part is watching my 9 year old daughter who just tested an IQ of 133 spend two hours doing remedial homework - she literally cannot focus for more than a few seconds before she's thinking about something else. And reading the books, I can see how ADD has affected almost every aspect of my life. I'm learning that some kids require different parenting skills than others, and the prevailing theory here that any kid can be fixed if the parent beats them enough is simply ass backwards in many cases.
Scott

#19 of 127 OFFLINE   Hunter P

Hunter P

Screenwriter

• 1,483 posts

Posted February 23 2006 - 07:36 AM

Some of the scariest movies ever made had some freaky kids in them. Just say no to kids!
GIR, UNLEASH THE MONKEY!
MONKEY!
"I am the Doctor of Death, and I have come to cure you of your life." --Endless Mike, The Adventures of Pete and Pete

#20 of 127 OFFLINE   Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted February 23 2006 - 07:58 AM

Out of curiousity D. Scott MacDonald, is your daughter a video game fan, comparatively inactive, or perhaps spend a large amount of time watching TV rather than perhaps reading?

Forum Nav Content I Follow