Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Which region has the best audio/video transfer of Armageddon?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,278 posts

Posted February 21 2006 - 03:44 PM

Now that I have an Oppo DVD player, I can enjoy the freedom of being region free.

I currently own the non-anamorphic version of Armageddon and have been wanting an anamorphic version for sometime.

Which region has the best audio/video quality and which version?

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted February 21 2006 - 03:50 PM

MY suggestion is to go to www.dvdcompare.net and type in the search thingy for Armageddon. My best guess is maybe perhaps Criterion's release is good? I've been using compare for awhile now and must they they're quite helpful. Good luck.Posted Image

Also, www.dvdbeaver.com is also helpful too but they're biased on the terms that the more dubs a DVD has the better. In my opinion that's a negative mark...

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,278 posts

Posted February 22 2006 - 01:37 AM

Thanks, that's helpful.

Also, is there any video quality loss when PAL converts to NTSC?

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   RodneyT

RodneyT

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted March 01 2006 - 01:21 PM

Armageddon here in Australia comes in a great 2-disc set thats similar (but not the same) to the Criterion Region 1 release. The improvement that we have is that the picture is anamorphic (and quite good, too). Apart from that, the PAL speedup issues and PAL/NTSC format issues aside, the region 4 version is excellent. I owned the Criterion release a few years back (but gave it up for an anamorphic version) and the only thing i remember being on that version were a couple of the original trailers and TV spots. Thats about the only real difference in terms of content.
I once stood out from the crowd. Now, I am trying desperately to get back in.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Bill Geiger

Bill Geiger

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted March 04 2006 - 08:11 AM

I also had the R4 Aussie disc and was very happy with it.

Sound wise, from what I have read, the R2 Japan rocks...but isn't anamorphic.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,333 posts
  • LocationMos Eisley Spaceport

Posted March 06 2006 - 07:01 AM

I have the CC version -- awesome extras and the picture is good although non-anamorphic. Use the zoom feature to watch it.
Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it meant to roast in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter

• 1,809 posts

Posted March 11 2006 - 08:57 AM

R2J disc has a Full Bitrate DTS track, but is still non-anamorphic. Long OOP too. But that DTS track rocks!