What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Lady and the Tramp--Highly Recommended if you please or don't please!!! (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Lady and the Tramp

50th Anniversary Edition

Studio:Disney Year:1955 RunTime:76 minutes (this is the theatrical cut) Rating:G Aspect Ratio:16x9 encoded 2.55:1 (really) and 4x3 encoding 1.33:1 P/S version (not the alternate 1.33:1 OAR version)Audio:5.1 DD D.E.H.T. English mix, 3.0 DD original mix, French & Spanish audio option SpecialFeatures:Making-of featurette, Deleted concepts, extended scenes, archival footage, trailers, more… ReleaseDate:February 28, 2006

Feature...

Lady and the Tramp is an original Disney-Studios story and is every bit a “classic” animated feature. The story is satisfying to child and adult audiences alike and the feature makes use of a variety of themes and devices to condense a film that is successful at many different levels.

From a technical standpoint, (it could be argued that…) Lady and the Tramp is indicative of Disney animation at its most evolved: the animation team had refined their craftsmanship, the artists were able to work within the panorama of a 2.55:1 aspect ratio (Disney’s first Cinemascope animated feature), and while background imagery was beginning to show signs of a more stylized interpretation than earlier works, character design was more life-like in representation than ever before. To this later point, the representation of the animal-characters in Lady and the Tramp display an almost uncharacteristically-Disney sense of realism—gone are the cutesified bunnies from Bambi and mice from Cinderella. True, animal faces of primary characters still show a bit of anthropomorphization in that mouths change shape to enunciate spoken syllables and eyebrows dance freely to express emotions. But the general anatomy and movements of the animal-characters never steps out of the artwork’s declared “real world” boundries, and for many who may find the more caricaturized animals in Bambi a bit jarring when juxtaposed against those ethereal water-colored backgrounds, Lady and the Tramp should prove a satisfying treat.

Allow me to made an usual comparison: I find a surprising similarity between Lady and the Tramp and Disney/Pixar’s Toy Story. Here’s the parallel—both stories are constructed from the vantage point of something that’s not human but living in a human world—toys in the case of Toy Story, pets in the case of Lady and the Tramp. In Toy Story the toys converse with each other and share a perspective of the world from what it would be like to be owned and loved by human companions, the dogs in Lady and the Tramp view the world in the same way. The entire story is directed from this point of view, and one of enjoyable aspects of this film is the ability to “read” everyday human behavior through the eyes of the dogs. The animators add emphasis to this theme by reflecting the “perspective” of the dogs visually…we see the world from down low like a toddler taking his first steps gazing upwards into an adult-governed world. Watch the film with this in mind and your appreciation for the subtle care that makes Lady and the Tramp such a masterpiece will be enhanced.

The image of Lady and the Tramp is a 76 minute visual feast of color, texture, and skillful detail that effortlessly mesmerizes the videophile/cinephile viewer. The iconic wonderland of town’s Victorian middle-class suburb is beautifully rendered and one could spend hours and hours just watching the feature’s background paintings alone. From whimsical details on the gingerbread of the home’s exteriors to flowers and leaves in the garden to the careful visual study of turn of the (19th) Century Americana furniture styles, fixtures, and daily life…Lady and the Tramp’s visuals will take you on a journey back in time filtered through a lens of admiring romanticism that is a joy to behold. So many details about early 1900’s middle-class way of life are documented here that the film could be regarded as a treasure-trove of historical details. Aside from the attention to obvious issues like architectural styles and horse-drawn buggies in the streets, the background artists take great care to load each scene with 19th Century artifacts and experiences unfamiliar to (most) modern American eyes. From laundry on the line to gas-burning light fixtures on the wall to the Kitchen ice-box to flame-lit-candles on the Christmas Tree—Lady and the Tramp paints an image of by-gone American life with all the charm and seductive nostalgia of the finest Norman Rockwell Thanksgiving dinner.

Music contributes a key strength to Lady and the Tramp and is used skillfully to advance the story. This includes both lyrical song and score. However, breaking rank from many of its contemporaries, the film doesn’t typify the usual “Disney Musical”. Like Bambi, many songs are used as off-screen music to support on-screen emotion, and for the songs that do find their way out of lips of animated characters, most of them take place in “real context” in the film without taking usual “break into song on the street” musical liberties. The mother rocking her baby to sleep singing a lullaby, the Italian cooks serenading a romantic evening in a back-street alley, and even Peg the diva-dog with her He’s-a-Tramp Torch-song all are carefully contextualized as “real” singing events in real situations (Think Chicago or Cabaret for modern-musical examples of this). The only song that comes to my mind that breaks this rule and unabashedly surrenders in the throws of typical-musicaldom is the Siamese-Cat song, which brings with it a montage of such creative brilliance that its able to change musical-rule gears without any detectable transition. If you’re a fan of Peggy Lee, you should know that Peggy not only wrote most of the music used in the film, but performs most of singing as well (La, la, Lu, Siamese Cat Song, He’s a Tramp).

Picture...

If you’ve been keeping up with current events you’ve probably heard that yet again DTS Digital Images (the artists formerly known as Lowry Digital Images) have worked their magic on this latest Disney DVD. The results are breathtaking. I’d venture to say that, from the perspective of “a beautiful picture”, the results are perfect, excepting for perhaps a slight degree of softness that I’m suspecting is a result of digital mastering for DVD and not a reflection of the source prints/painted artwork. I say this because I’ve found a similar discrepancy with many other Disney animated DVD titles which were clean and clear, yet appeared a little softer than the projected prints (and a little softer than the DVD medium is able to deliver).

Digital versus “film” restoration…

If you’re familiar with my reviews (and thread discussion) of Bambi and Cinderella you’re aware that while I usually enforce a strong “faithful to the intended look of the original film elements” philosophy to guide my reviews, I make an exception with DTS/Lowry’s work on Disney’s animated classics. There is a rationale for this discrepancy: In the case of animated titles, I view the film medium as an “in between layer” that separates the audience from the source artwork…which I consider to be the hand painted backgrounds and cells. Exactly what constitutes “the art” of animated motion pictures is a subjective matter open to a wide variety of opinions. Regarding animation, I happen to take the approach that what the artists tried to convey with their painting was what they wanted us to see, and the “film” to which these paintings were printed for theatrical projection was the medium that they had available...a medium that the digital DVD does not necessarily have to replicate.

A modern parallel would be taking a digitally animated title, like Toy Story, and deriving the DVD directly from the digital files rather than from the intermediary “film elements” used for theatrical exhibition. In that case we would all agree that while the Toy Story DVD didn’t faithfully replicate the look of the projected film, it did even more faithfully produce the intended look of the animated artwork itself. Thankfully, regardless of how one feels on the matter, DTS Digital Images have done all their “digital restoration” work in much higher resolution than our 1080P HD standard, which allows their digital files to be printed back to film to satisfy that medium’s projection qualities and archival advantages so all groups ultimately can be satisfied. Having prefaced my thoughts, please pull the harness tight over your head, fasten your seatbelt, and keep your hands and arms inside the ride at all times…

The Results…

As with Bambi and Cinderella, you can look “in” to the painted artwork and see every brush stroke, every hand-placed detail on the elaborately detailed background imagery. It’s spectacular. And the videophile (and/or historical enthusiast) could spend hours just staring into the background paintings and never succeed in taking it all in. Scene after scene and, just like Bambi, each painted background could be lifted from the screen, framed, and enjoyed all on its own. Colors are vibrant and saturated, and by all appearances look “exactly right” in hue, tone, and intensity. Without delving into technical facts about this film’s restoration for this DVD it’s apparent that great effort went into determining the precise balance of all of these parameters in accordance with the original painted backgrounds, cells, and intended look of the original film.

And while I’ve already made mention of a slight softness to my eye, the picture is still overwhelming satisfying with loads of visible detail…especially in the painted backgrounds. What immediately impressed me on my 106” projection screen was the amount of texture coming through…the panted carpet looked “fuzzy”, the waxed wooden stairs looked “shiny”, the pillows looked “soft” etc. It’s this low-level detail that really allows DVD to rise-above the ranks of mere “video” and start to communicate the essence of motion picture images, and while there could still be some room for improvement (which I look forward to on 1080P Blu-ray disc), this DVD effectively communicates texture to a degree that the paintings really start to come to life.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Having enjoyed the improvement that high-definition home-viewing has made with other films that make strong use of color (Moulin Rouge on D-VHS for instance), I’m well aware that for all its potential that the DVD medium necessitates some inherent compromise with color fidelity, and I can only imagine what a 1080P Blu-ray version might deliver.

Black level is solid. Contrast range is smoothly rendered and the picture’s dynamic range is bold and unrestricted. Gone is the “dark” look of the previous DVD and laserdisc, and daylight images look appropriately bright in this new DVD in a manner that feels natural and properly balanced with excellent shadow-detail in the dimmer-lit evening scenes.

Edge Ringing: There is none. *Sigh*. Nary a halo to be seen. I got really picky and moved closer than my usual 1.6 screen-width viewing distance and tried to find some edge-haloing. I never did.

No Color Banding (that I could detect). No MPEG noise (that I could detect). The image is clean as a whistle and free from any added layer of “processing noise”.

Aspect Ratio?

Lady and the Tramp is presented in dual-form on the first disc of this 2-disc set…I presume that one layer is used for the widescreen version and the other layer is used for the 1.33:1 version (given this feature’s short running time and the derth of bonus material on the first disc, a single layer seems to be more than adequate to deliver a well-compressed, artifact-free image). The widescreen film is noticeably wider than the usual “2.35:1” composition and according to the packaging is 2.55:1, which was Cinemascope’s early aspect-ratio before some of the frame’s width was appropriated to accommodate additional audio-track options (if I understand the history correctly). I should mention that the “widescreen” version of this film available previously on laserdisc and DVD was slightly cropped on the left/right and presented an image closer to the more modern 2.35:1 aspect ratio than the full-scope 2.55:1 image on this latest DVD. I did some careful A/B comparing and I can assure you that this latest DVD maintain the full vertical image area as seen in both previous widescreen home-video versions, and presents more horizontal picture area to achieve its wider shape (no cheating by just cropping the top/bottom to “fake” a 2.55:1 aspect ratio like the earlier Ben-Hur DVD).

When Disney Studios chose to make Lady and the Tramp their first Cinemascope animated feature, they also produced a 1.33:1 version for theaters not equipped for scope projection which was not merely a cropped version of the widescreen feature, but incorporated some recomposition of foreground characters to better fit the 1.33:1 space (think of the 1.33:1 version of A Bug’s Life). Previously on VHS and Laserdisc, this separate 1.33:1 version was made available (for the first time on home-video) during the last release of this title. However, sources have indicated that the “full frame” version on this DVD is not the original 1.33:1 OAR but rather a pan-and-scanned version of the 2.55:1 scope image. While less than ideal, I can understand that given the cost of digital restoration, Disney chose to use the restored 2.55:1 image as the source for both versions—it would have necessitated the cost of restoring two separate films in order to present the original 1.33:1 version with the same visual quality.

Those of you who, for historical reasons, want to own a copy of the “original” 1.33:1 version could obtain the former full-screen VHS or laserdisc. Those viewers who just want to watch a version without black bars should be content with the p/s alternative on this set. Given that Lady and the Tramp was intended to be fully-realized in 2.55:1 Cinemascope, I would consider the widescreen version of the film included here to be “the” version of the movie Walt intended you to see, as both the p/s and OAR 1.33:1 versions were only produced as a compromised alternative.

Summing up Picture…

Except for the slight bit of image softness that I presume is not a reflection of the source prints/artwork, the image on this DVD is…for lack of a better word…perfect.

Picture Quality: 4.9 / 5

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Rating Rationale...

Rating Key:

SCORE Description 1-2 An absolute abomination. Hurts to watch even on a 32” 4x3 480I TV. Think Outland or Jean De Flourette (scan-line aliasing, chroma noise, dotcrawl, PAL-NTSC conversion artifacts etc.)-- truly horrid. 2-3 Has some serious problems, but one can at least watch it without getting a headache despite all the problems though you might try to talk your guests into picking a different movie to watch if you have a large projection screen. Think Kill Bill Vol 1. 3-4 Good or at least "acceptable" on a big-screen, but not winning any awards and definitely room for improvement if you view the image wide-angle (though smaller-screen viewers may be quite content). Think the first extended cut of Fellowship of the Ring...decent picture but still some HF filtering and some edge-halos. 4-5 A reference picture that really makes the most of the DVD medium and shows extraordinary transparency to the film-source elements limited only by DVD’s 720 x 480 resolution. Non-videophile observers can't help but remark "WOW" and ask you if they are watching HD. Think The Empire Strikes Back, the Fifth Element Superbit or the new Toy Story 10th Anniversary Edition.

Viewing Equipment:
Currently running DVDs on my OPPO DVD player (Faroudja deinterlacing) which scales to 720P, feeding my BenQ 8700+ PJ via DVI, projecting onto a 106” 16x9 Dalite HiPower screen, viewed from approximately 1.6 screen-widths distance. Well mastered DVDs produce a stunningly film-like image in this scenario, and lesser-mastered material quickly shows its flaws.

Sound...

The audio on this disc leaves no room for improvement, given the limitations of the original historical session recordings. Disney has done it right on this DVD.

Original 3.0 audio mix:

From what I’ve been able to gather, Lady and the Tramp graced Cinemascope theaters in 1955 with L/C/R stereo sound. That original mix has been reverently restored and presented on this DVD in 3.0 Dolby Digital—and it sounds amazing. There’s a natural and spacious separation in the musical score, and many effects make good use of L/R panning to create a sense of dimension and movement up on the 2.55:1 screen. The lack of surround activity in this “original” mix is not only forgivable, it’s easily forgettable. I think this is so not only because the film style doesn’t “ask” for active surround effects, but because I found that the special cues in the front three channels actually caused me to perceive surround activity on a number of occasions when, in fact, there was no sound emanating from the 2 rear speakers. I used to experience this “faux surround” effect all the time when I had my high-end DAC in place and used to decode all my 2.0 PCM laserdiscs in unprocessed stereo…I found that on well recorded soundtracks many times the phase information and recording techniques used in the mix would create a believable perception that sound was appearing to the side and sometimes behind the listener. It’s rare that I find that effect with Dolby Digital compressed stereo signals (probably because the subtle special/phase cues that trick your hearing in perceiving such things are lost during the lossy compression process) but I confess that the 3.0 DD original mix on the new Lady and the Tramp DVD had me convinced.

While there was an audible “dated” quality to the character of the sound, I found myself continually surprised by the level of fidelity, and by the subtle “inner detail” of many of the orchestral instrumentation and effects. When Peggy Lee sings “He’s a Tramp” her vocal is satisfyingly smooth and well-bodied, if just a tad thinner/lighter-weight than what would be considered ideal (again, the best that the source elements are capable of sounding I'm sure). And during this song what’s most impressive is the texture and palpability of the bass coming out of the right channel…it’s bass with real weight and a controlled response with audible resonance that sounds like a “real” bass. Very, very satisfying.

New D.E.H.T. mix:

Tastefully executed, and I could respect the desire of many “audiophile” HT enthusiasts to prefer this 5.1 soundtrack in their particular system. The first thing you might notice is that the vocals tend to have a slightly smoother, fuller sound than the original 3.0 mix. However, some of that “smoothness” is at the expense of a bit of top-end which seems to have been sacrificed in an effort to rid the soundtrack of audible hiss (which is left thankfully in-tact on the 3.0 mix). But to be fair, the “sacrifice” of top-end response is not as egregious as with other (Mary Poppins) D.E.H.T. mixes and without direct A/B comparison I think that most discriminating listeners wouldn’t find anything apparently missing. In fact, for listeners with audio systems that tend towards brightness, this new 5.1 mix might actually sound better in their system because it mellows out the slightly brighter sound of the original mix.

Stereo separation is slightly enhanced in this new mix over what is already satisfyingly “stereo” in the original mix, and to my ears it sounds like much of the surround activity is really replicating the hard left/right effects in the rear channels as well. However, some creative and tastefully appropriate use of “surround activity” is made from time to time. One such scene is when we first meet the Tramp sleeping in his barrel at the train yard…and where in the original mix the “choo choo” sound of the steam locomotive engine is heard panning and slowly fading out the left channel, in the D.E.H.T. mix it pans left and then moves left-rear as though the train is really leaving the yard and heading out behind the listener into the distance…an effect consistent with the direction of the train orientation in the animated scene.

Aside from the slight loss of top-end on dialogue, the only other criticism I have of the new mix is that some of the orchestral music has a distracting “phasey” sound…like when you have the positive and negative wires switched on one of your speakers. Sometimes playing with polarity works to help create a sense of “space” with mono recordings and perhaps what I’m hearing is an artifact of processing to give the surround channels a more ambient character this way. Nothing as distracting or objectively “bad” as the horrible vocals in the songs in Aladdin which were replicated out of the rear channels instead of being left properly in the center speaker…but an effect worth mentioning as it sometimes did call my attention.

While I personally prefer the original mix in my own audio system, I respect and admire what the new 5.1 mix has achieved and I encourage all listeners to explore both soundtrack options and determine what they personally prefer to hear.

*** Update on March 1, 2006 ***

HTF member Mark-P made some very interesting observations of the new DEHT mix that I want to include here. He writes later in this thread:

Quote:

David, there's one little thing you didn't notice about the DEHT mix of the film. All the dialog has been mixed across the three front channels.

Generally I prefer the DEHT mixes of these releases (Mary Poppins being the exception because of the new foley) but while the dialog may sound fuller in the DEHT mix, it's too unfocused. The 3.0 mix nails the dialog down to the center channel (although this being a 50s mix I would have expected more directional dialog)

Listening to the other language tracks I discovered the French track dialog is also spread across the 3 front channels, but the Spanish track dialog is only in the center.

I also pulled out my old Limited Issue disc and found that the Dolby digital 5.0 mix on that disc had the dialog dedicated to the center channel too.

I don't know who's making these horrible decision at Disney, but this is the 3rd "Disney Enhanced Home Theater Mix" that they have screwed up (IMO). First Aladdin with the song vocals, then Mary Poppins with the new foley, and now this.

The 3.0 original mix will be the one I select when showing this movie in my home theater!

Thanks Mark!

Previous DVD and Laserdisc?

I spent a great deal of time analyzing the audio on this disc. Without writing another War and Peace essay on these comparisons let me suffice to say that I spent about 45 minutes carefully switching between the laserdisc PCM soundtrack, laserdisc AC-3 soundtrack, previous DVD 5.1 DD soundtrack, and the 5.1 and 3.0 DD mixes on the new DVD. I even turned off the projector and just sat there in the dark listening to the audio like I would to compare two CD pressings without any visuals to distract or influence my perception of the sound. I can say with confidence that the quality of the audio presentation on this new DVD surpasses not only the previous DVD’s audio, but the previous laserdisc’s audio as well. That’s not a statement I often have the chance to make, and I must say that my respect for the audio engineers who restored the sound for this release have earned my respect (I would assume that these are not the same guys who restored the soundtrack for Mary Poppins…).

To provide just a little more detail for the audio-conscious among you, I noticed clear improvements on the new DVD in all categories. The new DVD sounds more detailed, more naturally timbered, more subtlely nuanced, more finely rendering low-level acoustic decays and vocal information than any of the previous soundtrack recordings regardless of medium or encoding method. It sounded to my ears that the new DVD’s audio was sourced from elements a generation or two closer to the source than what has been used for past home-video incarnations. Well done Disney!

:emoji_thumbsup:

Final Audio thoughts:

Without question, I personally consider this original 3.0 Dolby Digital encoded mix to be the best (home video) soundtrack presentation of this film to-date. But both of the audio presentations on this new DVD are outstanding, and with the inclusion of the faithfully preserved original mix there along side the newly created 5.1 mix, purists should have no room to complain.

Sound Quality: 5 / 5

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Listening Equipment:
B&K AVR 212 processor/receiver driving my Onix-Rocket Loudspeaker system.

Special Features...

The disc producers at the Mouse have been learning their lessons and refining their craft with each subsequent “classic” DVD release. Notice how all the bonus material are moved onto the second disc so that the full bit real estate of Disc one can be utilized for the feature presentation to maximize quality. The special feature content on Disc Two is outstanding. At first glance the list may not appear as extensive as with some other classic 2-disc sets of late but don’t be fooled…there is some good stuff here, including some great full-length performances of Peggy Lee with the Siamese Cat song and He’s a Tramp…the kind of bonus material that’s got historical and entertainment appeal.

[*]ESPN Sports segment:Titled “Ladies in sports history and how they ‘trample’ their way to Victory”, I found this inclusion interesting, but a bit out-of-place especially given that it’s connection with the subject matter was a bit questionable -- the only link I could see was the semantic peculiarity of the sports segment’s title. I certainly don’t mean any disrespect to the women sport-figures presented in this feature, their significance in the history of women’s sports, or to the fans who find this particular feature entertaining. But for those of you who are feeling as befuddled now as you did with the ESPN feature included in the Cinderella DVD, allow me to come clean and tell you that I’m pulling your leg…no such feature is anywhere to be seen on this Lady and the Tramp DVD. Yes, you’ve just fallen prey to my devious sense of humor. Aren’t I a sinker? (crunches carrot in Bugs-Bunny fashion)…
htf_images_smilies_biggrin.gif

[*]Deleted Scenes::emoji_thumbsup: Really meaning “unused storyboard concept and extended scene”. With introdutions, 12:55 minutes (without, 9:40). The first is a story concept about role-reversals where dogs rule the world and own human beings as pets. The idea is brilliant, and it would have been enjoyable to have seen this worked out into final animation. The second feature here is an “extended” version of Peggy Lee’s “La, La, Lu” in storyboard form which features the full-length song as it was initially conceived to have been integrated into the film.
[*]Music and More:
[*]The Siamese Cat Song:”Finding a voice for the cats” (4:20). Enjoyable featurette about how the concept for the cat voices evolved.
[*]Bella Notte Music Video:By Steve Tyrell (2:55). Tried it. Couldn't make it through to the end.
[/list][*]Making Of Lady and the Tramp::emoji_thumbsup: Broken into several sub-categories which can be viewed in “Play All” fashion or selected individually and totaling 52 minutes in length, this documentary covers all the basics including lots of historical background behind the story concept for this film, Walt’s inspiration of his own childhood memories of Marceline, the vocal actors, art and design, musical composition and so much more. This is the “main feature” you’ll want to watch and should be of great interest to anyone who loves this film and/or who loves behind-the-scenes trivia about the history of the Walt Disney Studios.
[*]Story Boarding:Eric Goldberg explains the basics of storyboarding and how Walt Disney began the process in the 1920’s and established this common practice of developing story concepts without engaging the expense of actual filming until concepts have been well thought out and approved. This feature is less about Lady and the Tramp and more about the general concept of Storyboarding, but is interesting non-the-less and even veteran movie buffs who “know all about” storyboarding might still find this feature interesting to explore.
[*]Original 1943 Storyboards::emoji_thumbsup: The story of Lady and the Tramp was actually conceived about 10 years prior to the release of the feature film. This feature is fascinating…both because of the similarities and differences between this initial concept and the eventual final animated product. This storyboard is presented in slide-show style accompanied by an audio track of a “pitch” for the story…the effect is like watching the story and it’s a sheer delight. Bravo to the Disney team for locating these original storyboard concepts for this DVD release and for doing such a GREAT job presenting this feature. I strongly encourage all enthusiasts to check this out.
[*]Excerpts from Disneyland TV Shows::emoji_thumbsup: You get three, including a 4-minute introduction: “Story of Dogs” (17:30), “Promo” for the “Story of Dogs” (3:05), and “Cavalcade of Song” (21:40). It’s the latter of these excerpts that features esteemed Peggy Lee with full-length footage of her performances for “The Siamese Cat Song” and “He’s a Tramp”. Do not miss this feature. It is mandatory viewing. In my opinion it makes the entire disc 2 worth the while.

I should also note that while many of these excerpts originally aired in black and white, the content here has been presented in full Technicolor where the color film elements could be located (which in the case of Cavalcade of Song is the entire feature and it looks gorgeous).
[*]Theatrical Trailers:Three trailers are presented: The original 1955 theatrical release trailer (3:50), the 1972 theatrical re-release (:45) and the 1986 re-release (1:30). All are presented in 4x3 frame encoding. The 1955 trailer is presented in approximately 2.55:1 aspect ratio. The latter two trailers are presented in full-frame form. All three trailers are will be a delight to animation buffs who enjoy this type of historical reference.
[*]Galleries:These are subdivided into categories of Visual Development, Character Design, Storyboard Art, Layouts and Backgrounds, and Production Photos. They can be viewed individually one-image at a time with manual advance or in “slide show” form which automatically advances about every five seconds. While I’ll echo my usual complaint that the resolution of these still-frame images is unnecessarily compromised by not taking advantage of the full height/width of the 720 x 480 DVD frame, I will acknowledge that the design of the border, in this case, offers an aesthetic appeal that I found pleasing. All images are encoded in a 4x3 DVD frame shape.
[*]Games and Activities:For the kids. Forgive me for not investigating…

[/list]

All Together...

They don’t make’em like they used to…right? But the good news is that since you can buy Disney classics as good as this, beautifully restored on fabulous 2-disc DVD sets, it doesn’t matter—you can hold yesterday’s classics in your hand and project them in your own home-theater today. So shell out the cash and buy a animation masterpiece. With above-and-beyond picture, lovingly restored audio, and a wealth of fan-worthy bonus material, this DVD release has the strength to get you through until the 1080P bug finally forces you to buy it over again in hi-def in the (hopefully not too distant) future.

Highly Recommended if you please… Highly Recommended if you don’t please!!!

Enjoy!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
David: Thank you. Sounds terrific!

I'll be first in line!

Do the Disneyland Series segments include the clips of the Mellomen signing Home Sweet Home? Sounds like they probably do. I know there were some pretty comprehensive and cute segments on LatT on the old Disney Show.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
It would be great to have the mellowmen footage. One of the mellowmen, tall round faced guy, is Bill Lee.
He is a great dubber, and is the voice of John Kerr in south Pacific and also the singing voice of Christopher Plummer in Sound of Music.

BTW - the last dvd was released in two versions, widescreen and flatl. I suspect the used the true flat version for that dvd.

There is also a review at Ultimate Disney of this.
They admit they are not sure whther the disc is pan scanned or not.

It should be simple. IN the credits, there is a tiny credit for Cinemascope. In the flat version of the film, there is NO scope credit.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Cool, Joe. I did not know that!

For others who might not know the Mellomen, one of their voices belongs to Thurl Ravenscroft who, among other favorites, is the original deep voice of Tony the Tiger. "They're gr-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-reat!"

In Lady and the Tramp, they voiced some of the canines who appeared on-screen--especially in a classic rendition of Home Sweet Home.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I'm happy to hear Lady and the Tramp follows in the footsteps of previous platinums and was meticulously restored. I even forgive them for not including the specially prepared "flat" version, due to the extra expense it would have entailed. My limited edition disc is now a frisbee!!!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Great review DaViD!
I'm shocked and thrilled that something i've waited patiently so long for is released and actually worth the wait-

I just regret that i never sold off the old one.
I'm trying to maintain restraint in my DVD purchases this year for several reasons, but this is one that will be a street day purchase for sure.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

Are you sure about that, Joe? I never heard of the old (US) DVD being released full screen.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
From the Ultimatedisney.com review of the original DVD release:

"(Special Note: International releases of this disc presented the film in a full screen aspect ratio. While it has been reported that Lady and the Trap was filmed twice, once in the Cinemascope ratio and once in the standard Academy ratio, it appears the full screen presentation on DVD is a cropped and panned copy of the widescreen film.)"

So Region 1 never got the full screen version on DVD (no big loss if it was panned-and-scanned; can any of our non-Region 1 friends chime in here?).

While I'd like to have the Academy Ratio version for posterity's sake, it certainly isn't a deciding factor for me. I'll be buying the new edition the day it comes out.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
The older R1 DVD was widescreen only (only the laserdisc and VHS offered the "flat" 1.33:1 version for viewing). However, I would imagine that any other region "full frame" DVD at that time would have used the *real* 1.33:1 version since that had already been prepared for laserdisc and VHS. Chances are it "feels" like Pan and Scan as most of the scenes are merely cropped...I'd imagine that only the minority of scenes were literally recomposed and re-animated given the added effort it would have required.

:laugh:

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
It's a shame that there's once again no commentary on one of these releases. But otherwise, the restoration and extras sound great. Definatly can't wait for my copy to arrive from the Disney Store. :)

Shame that I've grown to like getting the Lithographs as well. Given that they no longer pre-sell the DVD's in the actual store, and charge $7.50 shipping on a measly DVD via the online store.

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
Great review, David. Thanks again for all of your work.

You fooled me all the way on this part:

And the worst part is, I didn't even see it coming.

-Reagan

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
YES! :D :laugh:

Thanks Reagan...I needed that!

;)

p.s. you didn't see it coming becuase the *scary* thing is that it's almost believable...after that bizarre inclusion on Cinderella, now we know we're not safe from the Marketing team's cruel whims...almost *anything* could be true...

Brendon

Second Unit
After Cinderella, I found the "ESPN Sports segment: Titled “Ladies in sports history and how they ‘trample’ their way to Victory”," all too plausable! I pretty much got to the end of the paragraph before berating myself for thinking "Thank **** they didn't put THIS on the region 2 DVD".

If North American DVD viewers found the ESPN Cinderella Stories to be tenuous extra on that DVD, imagine how well it played on the non-North American releases...

None the less, another sterling DVD review David. Having already been privy to the A/V of the R2 disc I was hoping for comparisons to previous home video releases and between the Academy and 'Scope versions. You didn't disappoint.

I hate to be premature, but I'm looking forward on your The Little Mermaid review come October.

Nicely done!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm going to be the kink in this thread
for a moment....

I love Disney, and have just about every
animated title in my collection.

I thought long and hard about buying
this DVD but decided not to.

I bought the first release of Lady & The Tramp
and so I have it already on DVD -- and from what
I remember, it looks good.

The problem I have is the worth in buying
this a second time knowing a high-definition
DVD release is a few years away.

It's getting to the point where many of us
are realizing that the studios who constantly
make us double-dip these purchases are soon
going to be offering a triple-dip when the title
arrives on DVD.

I'm just hoping that someone can give me a
reason beyond improved picture quality, why
this title may be worth double-dipping now
and triple-dipping later.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Well I for one am not planning on getting an HD player (I don't own an HDTV) any time soon, so this will be the best version of the film for me for a long while still, especially since it will be the first time I'll own it.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Ron,

I'm right there with you.

Part of the reason I love reviewing these discs is because it makes the issue of "whether to buy now or wait for HD" moot in my case...I get the DVD to review and enjoy and (fingers crossed) will get the HD versions too.

Obviously the new DVD is a night-and-day improvement over what you have now. However, given that you will, of course, want to get this on 1080P Blu-ray...and that future HD version will (fingers crossed) duplicate the same bonus content, do you upgrade now...or wait a few more years and upgrade *then* so you're not tempted to double-dip.

Personally...I see only one real issue standing out to really affect your decision. It all depends on *how long* you're willing to wait before you upgrade to something better than your current disc. If Lady and the Tramp were listed amond Disney's first-wave of Blu-ray titles and they were going to pull out all the stops and load it up with the DVD extras and more...it would be a no-brainer...WAIT.

But what if Lady and the Tramp takes another 10 years to show up on Blu-ray? How long will you be happy with your current disc (which actually surprised me in how watchable it was when I did my A/B comparisons)?

My hope is that once Blu-ray gets going that Disney will give us some sort of "road map" for these classic releases similar to the way the did with DVD. That way before some of these DVD titles get pulled off the market, collectors would have a chance to gauge the release schedule of specific titles and decide for themselves if they could stand to wait for the future Blu-ray version or if they would be happier upgrading to a "get them through" remastered DVD in the meantime.

Keep one thing in mind...your animated Disney DVDs will *always* be easy to give or sell when you're ready to upgrade again. I was surprised how much my old non-anamorphic Pocahontas fetched on-line weeks after the new SE was put out for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks