-

Photo
- - - - -

Stereo Preamp or Integrated Amp?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Jonathan T

Jonathan T

Second Unit

• 360 posts

Posted February 18 2006 - 03:02 AM

Hey guys,
I'm looking to replace my 150 dollar (used) am and CD player combination. The quality isnt that great and there is very noticable hiss. I was thinking of either guying a stereo amp/integrated amp or buying a cheep, under 300 dollar, (do these exist?) stereo pre-amp and building a hypex amp (just for fun really). I'm looking for somethign powerful because my father and I are seriously contemplating purchasing a pair of Apex speakers from Adire and we don't want to have to upgrade because our equipment cant handle the speakers. The Hypex amp will be ample, but I don't know if a stereo reciever can deliever enough juice, are there any out there that can handle such speakers? If not, anyonw know of any pre-amps with remotes and input switching for a reasonable price?

thanks
Square Rooms=teh scuk

#2 of 6 John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,532 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted February 18 2006 - 09:07 AM

For $300, you're already asking for a lot from whatever you buy to drive those speakers. 88dB sensitivity and 6 Ohm aren't too bad, but I'd expect they'll want a fair amount of real world current. I'd look used. Either a stereo receiver or integrated would probably be able to handle it, with maybe a little more weight given to an integrated. My first thought would probably be a NAD C320BEE integrated, which are relatively easy to find and in your price range. Stereo receivers you might be able to find new in your range; Onkyo has the TX-8511 that has 100w and H/K has a model that is rated at 120wpc. An integrated amp is likely to have a much better power supply and amp section than a stereo receiver though. I currently use a Marantz PM7200 and it handles low impedance loads pretty well and sounds great. You can find it and the previous version, the PM7000 for $300 and below.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#3 of 6 Eric_Bender

Eric_Bender

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted February 22 2006 - 05:17 AM

you might also want to look at a used stereo preamp/tuner and amp combination. Either Rotel or Adcom have many combos out there that will suit your needs.

In Adcom look for a used GTP500 preamp tuner and a GFA535 amplifier. The combo should set you back about $250 - $300 tops. They are a little older, but will sound great with the speakers you are looking for.

#4 of 6 eddieZEN

eddieZEN

Second Unit

• 411 posts

Posted February 24 2006 - 02:05 AM

Jonathan,

if those are non-bright 8 ohm speakers, I'd suggest looking into the digital switching Panasonic sa-xr55. Do a search on AVS Forum and Google, you'll see tons of reviews. I actually preferred it to my NAD separates and Marantz receiver which cost several times more.

Also worth looking into are vintage HK Twin-Powered stereo receivers on eBay, that have separate power supplies for each channel.

#5 of 6 Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter

• 1,370 posts

Posted February 24 2006 - 08:28 AM

How many sources are you going to switch? If you're going passive upfront then getting an amp with gain controls might be the way to go as well. Sonic Impact T-Amp will actually perform quite well (most real world listening is done at 1 watt) but if there is a need for power an used AudioSource Amp3 will fit the budget.

#6 of 6 Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted February 24 2006 - 10:34 AM

I know somebody who's got a great powerful stereo receiver with a pre-out/post-in loop for future expansion if you want it for sale used in the hardware forum. Posted Image
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus