What's new

TNT-HD now available on Directv... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
TNT does show a lot of sporting events, including a lot of the Nascar races that go on TNT when NBC has other programming they have to show.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
The NBA All Star Game will be on this Sunday night and I'll get to see it. Good timing D*.

Peace,

DM

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
*nod*

I'm excited to see another HD channel added in DirecTV's programming.

Has anyone heard if they're going to be adding any other HD channels anytime soon??

randySH

Agent
Just noticed this myself, wonderful, and I am not a half empty kind of guy (maybe I am) but has anyone else noticed that the HD picture on TNT appears stretched and not full HD ?

it appears to be more like 480P or dvd like, I am watching Snow Day now and I cant help but think it is slightly different

anyone else?
Randy

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yup

Apparently not all their programming is in full HD.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I think the only regular series that's actually shown in HD is "E.R." with all the others being stretched SD. Movies are hit and miss, sometimes they are true HD sometimes they are stretched. Sporting events are typically HD though for the sports fan.

randySH

Agent
I am grateful either way...

I keep hearing DirecTV is coming out with new satellite, will need all new dish and hardware to get the upgrade but no specifics of cost or programming additions

anyone here have a clue?

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Doesn't TNT show mostly 4x3 movie programming? I have DirecTV and the HD package but I don't see myself watching much TNT HD if they are not showing movies in OAR.

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
randySH:

A co-worker of mine just recently became a DirecTV subscriber and he was advised that they were going to be adding satellite... he wasn't given much as far as specifics go but perhaps it is true? I wonder when this is planning on happening? I'm just not keen on obtaining all new equipment... :frowning:

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
The new satellites are for MPEG-4 transmission of HD channels (especially locals) to conserve bandwidth. New equipment is needed because current receivers can't decode MPEG-4.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Historically DTV has been very good concerning upgrade paths for subscribers. If the past is any indication it could be that there will be little to no cost involved in the upgrade.

Now that I have jinxed it the cost will probably be somewhere between an arm and a leg or your first born. ;)

randySH

Agent
so the mpeg 4 is to conserve bandwidth, not to introduce more channels, or to make it easier to introduce them later

??

i ask about the cost of the equipment, truth is, dont matter, have to have it, like a drug, pay whatever it cost :D

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
conserve bandwidth = better pic quality and the ability to add more channels more easily in the future.

The costs will be pretty high initially; however, comb the net as the dates approach (rumor has it, the new equipment will be available this summer). You are bound to find D* incentives to give equipment for discounts to retain customers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks