Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

CHAPLIN on public domain DVD

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   Richard--W

• 3,527 posts

Posted February 16 2006 - 08:06 AM

I believe I have all the authorized Charles Chaplin releases. "Authroized" means the The Chaplin Mutuals volumes 1, 2 and 3 by Image, The Essanay Comedies volumes 1, 2 and 3 by Image, and The Chaplin Collection box sets 1 and 2 on Warner Home Video. Setting aside the authorized releases for a moment, Charlie Chaplin profilerates in public domain editions. As a matter of curiosity, I wonder if any of the pd editions are worth checking out. You never know with public domain labels; sometimes the quality is excellent, most times not. Has anyone seen a pd edition that they would recommend? for quality? for differences? for any reason that sets it apart from authorized editions?

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,501 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted February 16 2006 - 08:42 AM

Best quality... Keystones: A massive restoration effort is underway, but as of now, just a few good prints appear on the Slapstick Encyclopedia box set from Image. Mutuals: A new complete collection is coming soon from new remasters and with orchestral Carl Davis scores. Essanays: Three excellent DVD's out, plus a 7-disc set with all Mutuals and Essanays. However, the Mutuals have pretty bad scores and noisy video masters. I'd just get the single discs. First Nationals/United Artists: Either the Image DVD's or the MK2/Warner discs. I'd import the PAL MK2's to avoid the ghosting issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users