What's new

Andreas Katsulas Passes Away (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Working link:

Andreas Katsulas Passes Away

Andreas had been ill for some months, but asked those aware of his condition to keep the information to themselves as he was still trying to work (in part to maintain his SAG health insurance) until near the end. When a couple of cast members let the cat out of the bag an appeal went out to keep the news off the 'net, and a number of webmasters and forum moderators around the world honored Andreas's wishes by removing posts and threads that mentioned his illness and how serious it was. Fans who had posts and threads removed were also very understanding about the matter when the reasons for these actions were explained.

One of the nice things about living in the DVD age is that the work of people like Andreas - a truly fine actor doomed mostly to supporting roles and smaller projects - can be preserved.

In addition to B5 - where his G'Kar is one of the truly great characterizations in TV history - he is probably best known for appearances in The Fugitive (as the fabled one-armed man) and Executive Decision (where he plays the terrorist the other terrorists are trying to spring - not a big part.) More interesting performances of his are available on DVD - in The Sicilian with Christophe Lambert, for instance, or Someone to Wath Over Me, the Tom Berrenger-Mimi Rogers thriller in which he plays a particularly nasty bad guy.

He will certainly be missed.

Regards,

Joe

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
G'Kar.... :frowning::frowning::frowning::frowning::frowning::frowning::frowning:

--
H

Rick P

Supporting Actor
Declaration of Principles

The universe speaks in many languages, but only one voice.
The language is not Narn, or Human, or Centauri, or Gaim or Minbari

It speaks in the language of hope
It speaks in the language of trust
It speaks in the language of strength and the language of compassion
It is the language of the heart and the language of the soul.
But always it is the same voice
It is the voice of our ancestors, speaking through us,
And the voice of our inheritors, waiting to be born
It is the small, still voice that says

We are one
No matter the blood
No matter the skin
No matter the world
No matter the star:

We are one
No matter the pain
No matter the darkness
No matter the loss
No matter the fear

We are one

Here, gathered together in common cause, we agree to recognize the
singular truth and this singular rule:

That we must be kind to one another
Because each voice enriches us and ennobles us and each voice lost
diminishes us.

We are the voice of the Universe, the soul of creation, the fire
that will light the way to a better future.

We are one.

We are one.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Blustering Commander Tomalak and the wise Narn leader G'Kar have been taken from us far too soon. RIP, Mr. Katsulas. :frowning:

Excellent choice of quote, Rick! :emoji_thumbsup:

Britton

Screenwriter
IMO, his death brings about the death of any future B5 projects. It won't be right to do anything else in that universe without his involvement.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I just read this on TrekBBs, this is very sad news, first Biggs and Now Katsulas. He was deserving of an Emmy for his Five seasons of Work. Both He and Peter were. His Speech above really hits home especiacially now

RIP G'Kar

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
A real shame. He was an immense talent, and while G'Kar may have been the role of a lifetime, he showed he could handle other parts memorably as well, including his recurring role on Star Trek and his part in The Fugitive.

Any future B5 project will be diminished without him.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Oh no! :frowning: :eek:

He was a really nice guy, when so many actors and stars are rather not. And he was a talented actor capable of pulling deep emotion into his performances. G'Kar is a classic character for the genre, one to be emulated and admired.

His soliloquy in "The Fall of Night" was tremendously moving, and one of the best examples of his amazing power of performance.

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments and tyrants and armies can not stand. They learned this lesson once. We will teach it to them again. Though it take a thousand years, we will be free."

It will take a thousand years before another like him comes along. Godspeed Andreas.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I lend my B5 S1 set to a friend some months ago, and while she never had the time to watch more than a few eps, she was really impressed by both G'Kar's charisma (even at his most most unlikable moments) and the actor's ability to convey such subtle and wide ranging emotions throught all the make up/mask.

--
H

KyleC

Supporting Actor
Like everyone else has said here it's very sad news. He was a brilliant character actor, and a big part of B5. My wife's favorite character and what really got her interested in the show. He will be greatly missed.

David Forbes

Supporting Actor
I just saw this at JMSNews. What terribly sad news.

Here's what Joe had to say:

Just over a year ago, Andreas Katsulas -- who loved smoking with a passion that cannot be described -- was diagnosed with lung cancer, which by then had already spread to other areas. He quit smoking at once and went on a healthy diet and vitamin program, but there was little hope of a good resolution even though the new regimen was very good for him. When we spoke about it, he laughed, and said, "Now that I'm dying I've never felt better!"

His spirits were always up and positive, putting everyone at ease about his condition, because...well, that's the kind of person he was.

A couple of months ago, he and his wife convened a dinner with me, Doug, and Peter Jurasik, which was filled with laughter and stories and good food. He wanted to know all the stories we never told him because, as he said, "Who am I going to tell?" So we did. Because we knew we were saying goodbye, and there would not be a second chance.

Last night, in the company of his wife and family, Andreas closed his eyes and went away.

He lived an amazing life...full of travel and wonder and good work...was part of the world renowned Peter Brook company...he saw the planet, loved and was loved, ate at great restaurants, smoked too many cigarettes...he lived a life some people would die for.

And, sadly, due to the last part of that equation...he did.

Memorial arrangements are still being worked out, but will doubtless be private.

Andreas is gone...and G'Kar with him, because no one else can ever play that role, or ever will.

I will miss him terribly.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

And in between Tim Choate, who played Zathras in "Babylon Squared", "War Withouth End Parts 1 & 2" and "Conflicts of Interest" (well, technically he wasn't playing Zathras, in the last episode, but rather his brother Zathras :)) died in a motorcycle accident. It has been a rough couple of years for the exteneded B5 family.

Regards,

Joe

"There are nine brothers Zathras. Zatharas was the quiet one."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks