-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Commercials that just irritate you....

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
612 replies to this topic

#601 of 613 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,311 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted September 26 2013 - 12:27 PM

Just be glad we don't live in a country where they aren't supposed to mention the name brand of what they are shilling in the commercial itself.

Yep...there are countries with rules like that.

#602 of 613 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,063 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 26 2013 - 12:38 PM

USA...USA...USA!

american-flag-halter-top.jpg

What's she selling?!?

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#603 of 613 davidHartzog

davidHartzog

Second Unit

• 445 posts
  • Locationupstate NY

Posted September 26 2013 - 12:50 PM

They all irritate me, its one reason i have dvds.
Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

#604 of 613 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,311 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted September 26 2013 - 01:22 PM

USA...USA...USA!

american-flag-halter-top.jpg

What's she selling?!?

Don't know...but I'd be buying this though...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=YHROHJlU_Ng

Something could get tickled, but it would have nothing to do with Elmo...

#605 of 613 Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,345 posts

Posted September 28 2013 - 07:18 AM

I'm really annoyed by that Microsoft ad that compares their tablet to the iPad, using Suri's voice..."Oh no, here we go again...." Microsoft ads in general are always awful and annoying. And this one is played incessantly, especially during football games.

[Partial content removed by moderator.  MF]

There will be bad blood from the Overlords toward Apple for our next foreseeable lifetime, on a deep cultural level with no end in sight.

Most of the other ads for MS's tablets are pretty straightforward-happy, selling them to the naive non-techie gullible folk--I don't use an iPad, so I didn't know they didn't have a USB port--but bring out the mention of Apple, and we're back on the 4th-grade schoolyard, taking down the Mean Poopyheads Who Hit Them FIrst...

And I don't have time to go back through literally ten years of this thread, so quick recap:
Have we mentioned Geigo's two "random" guitar dolts now gone further off-topic into carpool folks having maddeningly non-sequitir discussions about nothing?

(It's the Curse of the Duck:  Insurance commercials are so afraid of being "boring" that they have to create marketable "Characters" that take over the point of the ad, to the point that the Big Somber Black Guy from Allstate now starts to look better and better for actually telling us about policies. 

Uh, Geico, when you did the "Little pig who goes whee", it was just supposed to be an expression, we weren't asking that you create another breakout sitcom character...)

#606 of 613 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,063 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 28 2013 - 09:06 AM

No need to use inflammatory political rhetoric to make your point.

4. No politics or religion. We do not permit the discussion of politics or religion at HTF.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#607 of 613 Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,345 posts

Posted September 28 2013 - 11:17 AM

Well, what would YOU pick for a metaphor?  Harvard vs. Yale, Jack Benny vs. Fred Allen, Yankees vs. Red Sox, those're too cute and harmless!--

They're just not deep-seated, buried-trauma and neurotic enough for the blood-vengeance persecution-complexes of "Microsoft vs. Apple's old ads with the Cool Guy 'making fun of' the Tubby Guy"! 

(And that, folks, was pretty much to the entire extent that they saw those old ads...Sad, really.  All the brilliant techie-satire content in the ads, about Windows Vista's problems?--Zoom.  Ten miles over their heads, and all they could see was "being picked on".)

Edited by Ejanss, September 28 2013 - 11:36 AM.

#608 of 613 Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,084 posts

Posted September 28 2013 - 01:57 PM

Probably mentioned already, but I despise most of the insurance ads, particularly Progressive and "The General"

Odd part is my car insured by Geico, which I fell for from a TV ad after Farmers doubled my rates. Surprisingly they've been wonderful. Had an accident about three years ago (after Farmers dumped me), blamed on me, but they fought for me all the way. Turned out it was a total scam. I caused an entire $500 damage to her SUV and she tried to claim thousands of dollars in damage. They dug deep, turns out most of the damage was way to high on the vehicle for me to possibly have caused the damage, the paint didn't match, etc.

She didn't receive a penny and didn't even show up to court so my ticket was thrown out. I'm very pleased with them.

Stan

#609 of 613 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,061 posts

Posted September 29 2013 - 09:41 AM

Probably mentioned already, but I despise most of the insurance ads, particularly Progressive and "The General"

This character "Flo" in the Progressive ads makes me want to cancel my policy with the company. She is very deliberately made up to look like a floosy, with the worse hair and make up this side of Devine in a John Waters movie. Yet, inexplicably, she is hugely popular, and is appearing in weirder and weirder ads as time goes on. I grab my remote and switch channels whenever one of these ads begins. I can't stand her ad character. I am sure she is a wonderful person in real life, but as far as I'm concerned, my insurance company is using her as a corporate whore whose actual personality is overridden by her t.v. image as a vacuous corporate lackey. I am ashamed that Progressive uses her in this way, and more ashamed that so many of us find this desirable enough that we purchase policies because of her inane hawking. But I am hypocritical, in that I maintain my policy with Progressive (established long before "Flo" appeared) because it is the best deal in town. So, full disclosure: I try to ignore the Flo character. I am part of the problem.

#610 of 613 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted October 31 2013 - 12:11 AM

Not really that bad, but I find myself doing the "really? really? really? really?" echo in real life, to my own annoyance.

This, on the other hand, is kind of enraging:

Edited by Greg_S_H, October 31 2013 - 12:16 AM.

#611 of 613 Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,934 posts

Posted October 31 2013 - 07:04 AM

Dammit, Greg! Now you're making me want some Tex-Mex food. 

#612 of 613 Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,345 posts

Posted October 31 2013 - 07:32 AM

This, on the other hand, is kind of enraging:

Ennn-chi-laa-daa...

When I was in college, I remember seeing the syllabus of required viewing for a Theories of Advertising class (wasn't in it), and one such example students were meant to learn "theories" from was the old 80's antiperspirant commercial that hypnotically intoned "A Dryyyyy Ideaaaa....A Dryyyyy Ideaaaa..."
Oh, why not just bring out the f***in' pocket watch while you're at it, Sven-freakin'-gali?  SHEESH!   :rolleyes:

Edited by Ejanss, October 31 2013 - 09:43 AM.

#613 of 613 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted October 31 2013 - 11:59 AM

Dammit, Greg! Now you're making me want some Tex-Mex food. 

Sorry!  I'm reading this right after lunch, so I'm not tempted. Could be dinner, though!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users