What's new

Commercials that just irritate you.... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I have the radio on in my office. And all day I hear this commercial for "Sunsetter" retractable awnings. In the first commercial they had a guy explaining the awning like he was a customer...but, the annoying part was his wife moaning everytime he spoke. She would be like "Tell them about the discount Harry!"...over and over. They finally changed it. Well, kinda of. Its the same commercial but instead of the wife bitchin to him...its a another guy. And its just as annoying. :angry:

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
Funny you should mention Sunsetter. My neighbors installed one a year or two ago & rave about it all the time. I just don't get it. For what that over priced tarp cost they could have added a real structure to the back of their house.

In keeping with your original thread, I'm so sick of the Bose 3-2-1 & Bose Quiet comfort ads on Discovery HD. The marketing spin they put on that junk is sickening.

-Dave

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
The Sonic commercials with the two people sitting in the car. First it was two guys, then it was a married couple. Its obvious they try to be funny, but they fail miserably. Same with the Taco Bueno ads.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Any ad with words appearing on the screen to the sound of someone keyboarding or typing.

I just HATE that. Not sure why, but it just grates on me.

Ken CG

Agent
I'm tired of the Leptoprin/Leptopril and Bowflex commercials. They are just too annoying!

"When is a diet pil..."

"*chk-chk* BOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!"

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
'm tired of the Leptoprin/Leptopril and Bowflex commercials. They are just too annoying!

"When is a diet pil..."
WTF is up with the woman in that commercial? You know, the one with like no pupils?!? Freaky weird plus the reverse psychology is so wickedly perverse I'm sure they get tons of orders. Ick.

The less said about the freaking Burger King the better. My all-time most dreaded/hated series of commercials.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
The less said about the freaking Burger King the better. My all-time most dreaded/hated series of commercials.
Hate to break it to you. But, I just read that they are going to have a major movie tie-in with the BK King and the new Omen remake. :D

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I hate how almost every beer commercial on the radio has to include the sound effect of a bottle of beer being opened and poured into a glass.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I hate how almost every beer commercial on the radio has to include the sound effect of a bottle of beer being opened and poured into a glass.
Oh my god! That annoys the shit out of me!!!!

There are definitely certain sounds that hit the back of my neck and make my spine twinge!

Remember those damn Infinity commercials where the guy would walk on the hard floor with dress shoes? That sound would annoy me SO much that I'd always change the channel (regardless of what was on) and find another show to watch.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
I hate the Kleenex commercial where the monk (?) rescues the fish out of water, uprights the overturned turtle, and saves the spider. Partly because I HATE spiders, but also because it seems to be on about every 5 minutes.
I also hate all the credit counseling commercials. Flipped me out the first time I saw the one with Paul Michael Glaser. WTF?!? Oh, how the mighty have fallen... :frowning:
And Erik Estrada's Tennessee real estate pitch...
MOST irritating: RELACORE - the rapid-fire commercial where the exact same voiceover is done three times in succession, all in the same commercial, ending with the third "You need Relacore!" Ugh!
On the other hand... One of my absolute favorite commercials is a local job...a local car dealer. I tend to keep the TV on as background noise even when I'm not actually paying attention to it, and this commercial NEVER fails to get my attention. Why? Because it's totally silent. Just text on the screen, along the lines of "We're not shouting. We are having a sale." Then the details. No sound AT ALL during the entire commercial. In between all the other auditory dreck, this one always draws me in. I notice the total absence of sound, so I naturally turn to see what's going on. It gets the "eyeballs on" response that advertisers would sell their souls for...and it earns it. Such a brilliantly simple idea. Too bad it would lose all of its charm and effectiveness if others decided to imitate it.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I hate movie commercals on the radio with the swelling music and the announcer reading off various reviews "Rolling Stone calls it a masterpiece of our time. And the New York Daily News calls John Williams score a triumph; uplifting of the spirit and the soul." And they NEVER even hint at what the movie is about.

-paul

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Commercials for stores, restaurants, products or services NOT available in my area.
Sonic
Long John Silver's
Ruby Tuesday's
Dolly Madison - the ONLY time I have ever seen ads for these snack cakes are during Charlie Brown specials. What's really annoying is that they sound better than Twinkies, but they have NEVER been sold in Washington State. :angry:
Intel/Pentium's ad for their chips now being available in MacIntosh. :p)
Most car commercials annoy the hell out of me:
* "Under $30,000!" and the sticker price reads $29,990
* "Financing available!" Only if you can prove you make about 2 million a year
* "Zero down, zero payments until [insert absurd time period] and zero percent interest!" And zero BRAINS if you actually believe you qualify.
Those incredibly stupid Snickers ads. "We know you're bald!" Yeah, this commercial REALLY stokes my cravings for the candy.
Any of those little animated thingies the networks like to stick in the corner of a show I am watching. They are distracting, annoying and unacceptable, even if it is a review of another show I want to see, or a product/service I like.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I hate the Kleenex commercial where the monk (?) rescues the fish out of water, uprights the overturned turtle, and saves the spider. Partly because I HATE spiders, but also because it seems to be on about every 5 minutes.
That one is on in the UK as well and I know exactly what you mean.

Here in the UK, my pet hate is the adverts put on during the daytime. The majority are on four topics - consolidating debt; 'cheap' loans; double glazing; and claiming compensation through litigation. Nearly all of them are cheap and nasty in presentation and cheesy in sentiment. I have this image of a guy who takes out a loan to pay for new double glazing, gets into debt and so gets a consolidated loan and then to pay that off fakes an accident at work and claims compensation through litigation.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I hate those bowflex, tony little commercials, that Bob thing with the "natural male enhancement" drug whatever its name.

Now that I am no longer an owner of a Dish Network DVR, I get to exercise my thumb more switching channels on my remote..

Jay

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I hated that Quizno's one a few years back with the deformed, mutant singing hamster things. I hated it so much, I lost all will to live. Thankfully, I regained said will once the commercial ended.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I hate all commercials and most network TV. God bless DVD. Anyway, on my days off i like to watch Hawaii 5-O on a local station. It is on at 9AM. Could i have to sit through more lawyer, bankruptcy, get an exciting career, and buy a car cheap ads?!
Sonic for lunch does sound good. :)

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
The army ads where the teenagers tell their parents about finding money for college

The army ads where the guy is asked "What do you do?" and he says "I'm a computer programmer" and someone says "Couldn't you have done that here?" Then they show the guy at a computer in some hectic situation. And then he smugly says "no, I couldn't." I just hate the smug look on his face.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
God bless DVD.
and DVR's.
I rarely watch broadcasts that I've not recorded ahead of time, but when I DO find myself watching non-recorded TV, I get SO frustrated with the commercials. I watched 2 sitcoms back to back and considering I can watch 3 sitcoms (on DVD or recorded) in that same amount of time, it felt like such a waste of time to have to sit through 20 minutes of commercials.
What a waste. :angry:

David Brown Eyes

Second Unit
radio spot that was running for the last couple months
"1 877 Kars for Kids "K" "A" "R" "S" cars for kids...."
it was an instant mind lock and would not go away once you heard it.
:angry: I have not been exposed to it for about a month now so maybe it is gone for good.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I hated that Quizno's one a few years back with the deformed, mutant singing hamster things. I hated it so much, I lost all will to live. Thankfully, I regained said will once the commercial ended.
Strangely enough, I found those commercials to be funny.

However, I absolutely despise the current Quiznos commercials with the talking baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks