Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Commercials that just irritate you....

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
612 replies to this topic

#581 of 613 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,769 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 07 2012 - 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by DaveF 

So the ad's not just annoying, but ineffective.

Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#582 of 613 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 3,969 posts

Posted May 07 2012 - 04:48 PM

I haven't time to read through this whole thread to see if this has already been posted... FLO on the Progressive Insurance commercials. I understand an awful lot of people think she's the cat's meow, thus her continuing presence in these ads. I find her insufferable... her hair, her make-up, her over-the-top enthusiasm. I am sure the actress who portrays her is a wonderful woman (in fact, I believe I saw an interview with her and almost was able to tolerate her Flo character for a while, but not quite), but I will actively change channels whenever one of those commercials begins...

#583 of 613 Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,025 posts

Posted May 09 2012 - 03:40 PM

Pretty much any exercise machine commercial. 10 minute a day, three times a week and you'll end up with stud body like our model. What a load of crap.
Stan

#584 of 613 Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,143 posts

Posted May 11 2012 - 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Stan 

Pretty much any exercise machine commercial.
10 minute a day, three times a week and you'll end up with stud body like our model.
What a load of crap.

And it seems like it goes on forever, repeating the same stuff over and over. The downside of watching a show "live", is having to endure commercials like this.

TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - July

Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)

#585 of 613 KevinGress

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

• 603 posts

Posted May 15 2012 - 06:17 AM

I'm sad to say that my wife bought the Shake Weight but was disappointed to find that the 'motor' was broken on arrival. That was until I told her that she, in fact, was the 'motor' and that it was exertion of the person 'shaking' the weight that was supposed to bring out those fantastic results. It's currently now strenuously acting as a paper 'shakeless' weight.

#586 of 613 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted October 27 2012 - 01:24 PM

Guy's kind of a passive-aggressive a-hole. Jack ought to come kick his ass for being in the bathroom with his wife.

#587 of 613 andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 04:06 AM

I might have missed it but so far you don't seem to have mentioned Cillit Bang adverts, or are they something peculiar to Europe? Try the following representative sample: The first time you see the advert it's merely annoying. Wait until it has popped up at every advert break for several weeks. We have a motorised satellite dish and can pick up thousands of European and Middle Eastern channels. Most have their own language versions of Cillit Bang, all that I've seen seem to be following the same formula.

#588 of 613 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted October 28 2012 - 07:33 AM

We don't have that product, but we do have pitchmen doing ads like that. One of the most prominent is British. :P This may be the same product as Kaboom. Similar with similar ads, anyway.

#589 of 613 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,041 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 28 2012 - 08:32 AM

This guy:

#590 of 613 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,995 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted October 28 2012 - 08:52 AM

http://youtu.be/9PLFK5235-4 Guy's kind of a passive-aggressive a-hole. Jack ought to come kick his ass for being in the bathroom with his wife.

She's apparently holding out on him and he's bitter. And, who is Jack?

facebook.com/whotony

#591 of 613 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted October 28 2012 - 09:29 AM

He's a buttstick with his kid in another ad. Jack is Jack in the Box, who is also this woman's husband.

#592 of 613 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted January 26 2013 - 07:02 PM

The Trop (and give me) 50 ad with Jane Krakatoa from Ally McBeal. "You actually thought I had work done?! You actually thought I had work done!" Also, I generally like Maxwell the pig, but the one where the girl wants to make out with him is really sick.

#593 of 613 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 30 2013 - 04:30 AM

with Jane Krakatoa from Ally McBeal

Well, some of us associate Jane Krakowski with a show she did in the twenty-first century. A little NBC comedy called 30 Rock. You may have heard of it. :D (And I think Jane is hot, so I have no problem with her Trop 50 commercials.) Regards, Joe

#594 of 613 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,995 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted January 30 2013 - 04:32 AM

Krakowski annoys me almost as much as Flo.

facebook.com/whotony

#595 of 613 Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,025 posts

Posted February 05 2013 - 08:40 AM

We don't have that product, but we do have pitchmen doing ads like that. One of the most prominent is British. :P This may be the same product as Kaboom. Similar with similar ads, anyway.

Nothing against Aussies or Brits, but we've been getting ads like this for 10+ years in the US. Somehow the advertisers think a non-American accent will help pimp their crappy products. Sorry guys, but salesmen are salesmen, 100% tacky, no matter what the accent, including the guy who died a few years ago, Billy Mays. American accent, but incredibly annoying. My #1 rule is if you see it advertised in an infomercial or one of those five minute long extended commercials, it's about a 99% chance that it's garbage. Stay away. Thank the world for DVRs. A few button presses and all this junk is bypassed. Rarely do I watch a show "live", but you still occasionally get exposed to some of this.
Stan

#596 of 613 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,769 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 25 2013 - 01:05 PM

I saw this commercial the other day.

I totally did not understand it. 

I searched for it on YouTube so that I could hear it better (it really didn't help.  I find much of the narration unintelligible,).  I have watched it again.

I still do not understand it.  At all. 

WTF?

And I just watched it again.  Some of the script I still do not "get."  And the parts that I CAN make out just make no sense to me! 

Calvin?  Johnson?  Entourage?  What?!?!?!?!?!???!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?   confused-smiley-004.gif

There ARE a lot of lens flares during the spot.  Directed by JJ Abrams?!? 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#597 of 613 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,506 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted September 26 2013 - 10:24 AM

I'm really annoyed by that Microsoft ad that compares their tablet to the iPad, using Suri's voice..."Oh no, here we go again...." Microsoft ads in general are always awful and annoying. And this one is played incessantly, especially during football games.

Oh, and the non-stop trailers for the film "Gravity" (on TV and in theaters). I think it's played before every film I've watched over the past couple of months, and has been continuous on TV in the past few weeks. I'm so sick of the trailers, I now have no interest in seeing the film.

Edited by Malcolm R, September 26 2013 - 11:43 AM.

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#598 of 613 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 12,850 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted September 26 2013 - 10:31 AM

I saw this commercial the other day.

I totally did not understand it.

I searched for it on YouTube so that I could hear it better (it really didn't help. I find much of the narration unintelligible,). I have watched it again.

I still do not understand it. At all.

WTF?

And I just watched it again. Some of the script I still do not "get." And the parts that I CAN make out just make no sense to me!

Calvin? Johnson? Entourage? What?!?!?!?!?!???!?!?!?!?!?!?!!? Posted Image

There ARE a lot of lens flares during the spot. Directed by JJ Abrams?!?

The commercial parodies the distractions created by being an athlete that everyone wants a piece of...which destroys the originating athlete.

#599 of 613 Jack P

Jack P

Screenwriter

• 2,936 posts

Posted September 26 2013 - 10:41 AM

radio spot that was running for the last couple months

"1 877 Kars for Kids "K" "A" "R" "S" cars for kids...."

it was an instant mind lock and would not go away once you heard it.

htf_images_smilies_furious.gif I have not been exposed to it for about a month now so maybe it is gone for good.

Unfortunately, seven years later it is still alive and well and equally irritating now as it was then.

To which I can also add how Yankee fans like me have been made to suffer the SAME spot for Turkey Hill ice cream featuring a Spike Lee lookalike scarfing down cartons and getting brain freeze for over seven years now to the point where I refuse to ever buy their ice cream again until they pull that spot.   That's how much I hate it.

#600 of 613 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,769 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 26 2013 - 12:19 PM

The commercial parodies the distractions created by being an athlete that everyone wants a piece of...which destroys the originating athlete.

Ahhhhhhhhhh.

Huh?  What, Sam?!?  I want to ask if such a message is somehow supposed to want to make me buy a sneaker.  But I get that advertising sometimes tries to transcend direct messaging.  But it's a parody? 

So the first guy is an athlete named Calvin Johnson?  And he is being weighed down by his celebrity.  So now P Diddy is going to be his metaphorical "johnson?"  And his new "Johnson" (and is there anyone who want a new, smaller Johnson?) is going to take care of his celebrity interests so that he can concentrate on football?  Is it supposed to be funny?  Is it supposed to be "warm"--like Mean Joe Greene giving the kid his jersey?

And how exactly does this relate to the consumer? 

I'm just not getting it.  Although your concise one-sentence description did help me understand the plot of the script.  Thanks for that.  I just went back and watched it again.  While I now understand it, I still don't "get it."

To which I can also add how Yankee fans like me have been made to suffer the SAME spot for Turkey Hill ice cream featuring a Spike Lee lookalike scarfing down cartons and getting brain freeze for over seven years now to the point where I refuse to ever buy their ice cream again until they pull that spot.   That's how much I hate it.

I watch YES all the time.  That IS one VERY lame spot.  I have always wondered why they've stuck with it so long.  And why someone who looks like Spike Lee?  He's not THAT BIG of a Yankee fan...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users